Cropping - to composition or print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Hi all,
facing a dilema here. Been playing around with photoshop, croping and borders. Just wondering, how do you guys cope with the croping issues here? Do you crop for print or for composition?

If you crop for composition (i believe alot do), how do you cope with the non standard file width/height ratio (3:2 / 4:3), if you want to send it for printing?

Raptor1 said:
Hi all,
facing a dilema here. Been playing around with photoshop, croping and borders. Just wondering, how do you guys cope with the croping issues here? Do you crop for print or for composition?

If you crop for composition (i believe alot do), how do you cope with the non standard file width/height ratio (3:2 / 4:3), if you want to send it for printing?
Do what ever you please lor, if you like to have a 1:3 landscape croping and need to make a print out this, just add a thick borders on the top and bottom, or print it out and trim away unwated area.

Raptor1 said:
Hi all,

Save you original file somewhere safe, then do what you like.

Composition usually takes priority. What's the point of printing a poorly compsed shot with distracting elements all over the place?

if printing for family album or photo frame, i crop for the print (usually 4r). the native aspect ratio of my dslr is 3:2, that fits a 4x6 or 8x12 well. sometimes cropping to 5x7 or 8x10 fits the composition better, if i want something that size...

if putting on the web, i crop for composition, unless having some consistency on the web page is desirable.

u can do burning/dodging and/or blurring if you want to de-emphasise certain parts.

I crop with forced aspect ratios most of the time. Masinly for prints but of course the final composition is also important.

Status
Not open for further replies.