Cropped Body or Full Frame Body = good IQ

cqprime

Dec 8, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Assuming the same photographer with moderate skill.

If it is a 550D with a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM or A 1DSMk3 and a 50mm f1.8 snap a better photo = good IQ ?

Assuming the same photographer with moderate skill.

If it is a 550D with a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM or A 1DSMk3 and a 50mm f1.8 snap a better photo = good IQ ?

The better lens will give a better photo. If you put the same lens on the 2 bodies, the full frame camera will have better IQ.

Are they taken at the same iso settings ?
The 50mm f1.8 prime is definitely no slouch, and the FF sensor in this case can yield more details

Ryan

Well, that's a very budget-oriented model against the top model.

If you want to be fairer, you should compare a high-end APS-C to FF.

In theory, both will have similar IQ, with the APS-C benefitting from the "sweet spot" effect on the lens, but the full frame benefitting from better dynamic range.

What do u mean by better dynamic range ?:dunno:

Well, that's a very budget-oriented model against the top model.

If you want to be fairer, you should compare a high-end APS-C to FF.

In theory, both will have similar IQ, with the APS-C benefitting from the "sweet spot" effect on the lens, but the full frame benefitting from better dynamic range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range#Photography

Basically, the camera can only capture a limited range of luminosity. Parts of the picture that are beyond those luminosity values will be clipped to white if it's too bright, and black if it's too dark. Of course this range does not depend on the actual darkness/lightness of the scene you photograph, it depends on your exposure. But in a single photograph, a camera can only capture a certain number of "stops" of light. That's why some people shoot high dynamic range photographs, when they want to squeeze out all the details in a scene, as a single photograph will not be able to capture all the details of a high contrast scene since some of them will be clipped to white/black. Full frame cameras typically have more "stops" of dynamic range than crop frame cameras, though the crop frame Fuji S5 Pro has a higher dynamic range than some full frame cameras like the D700.

Last edited:

It's a basic of photography... I suggest reading up on the basics a bit more.

If we crop the edges of the image on FF, the image will be sweeter than APC with same cropping

The 50/1.8 is a better lens than its pricetag.

The 16-35/2.8 II, though fast & wide, is really sloppy in the corners (on FF), even @ f/8.

50mm f1.8 II is cheap, reasonable sharp on APSC and light weight as compared with 50mm fl.4. It is a practical lens for daily use and backup.

Hi I read somewhere that between the 50mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4, there is not much difference in the IQ. Although, the f/1.4 allow you to use an extra stop of speed, there are few situations that you will need it. Added to that, the DOF for f/1.4 is extremely narrow.

Hi I read somewhere that between the 50mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4, there is not much difference in the IQ. Although, the f/1.4 allow you to use an extra stop of speed, there are few situations that you will need it. Added to that, the DOF for f/1.4 is extremely narrow.

whether the extra 2/3 stop is important or not depends on the individual. there will be someone out there who will value it and will need it for their circumstances. same thing goes for DOF.

whether the extra 2/3 stop is important or not depends on the individual. there will be someone out there who will value it and will need it for their circumstances. same thing goes for DOF.

Hi, I understand your point here. I have both the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 myself. Can share on situations which you find the extra stop useful?

can share under what circumstances u need f1.4

Low light/indoor environments where you cannot use flash. You don't want to be using f1.4 too often, the depth of field may be too shallow for you to get your subject in focus. If flash is allowed in the low light environment you are shooting at, you should probably stop down a little to like f2 or f2.8 and use the flash instead of ditching the flash and going down to f1.4

Just to share my experience on the 50mm f/1.4. Most of the time, i find myself stopping down to f/2.8 and smaller even in low-light condition due to the DOF. Usually, i used it at full aperture for shooting full-length portraits. I also find it useful in isolating small subjects or details from the background. Btw, I mounting my lens on an APS-C sensor so its effective focal length should be 75mm.