crop or use teleconverter?

tiago

Mar 9, 2011
i am switching to full frame camera and my 70-200mm doesn't quite get the closeup it used to when using in a DX/crop sensor. so my question is should i just do the digital zoom function of the camera in order to get that closeup or should i get a teleconverter to achieve the similar focal length that i was used to in a DX camera?

Not sure what's your main subject, but I think TC should retain better IQ and details/sharpness. It slows down the AF though.

Not sure what's your main subject, but I think TC should retain better IQ and details/sharpness. It slows down the AF though.

athletes, and performing artists

athletes, and performing artists

do u have options to get closer to them so that u do not have to crop so much and without using TC?

Digital zoom of the camera? Don't you use any software for post-processing?

Digital zoom of the camera? Don't you use any software for post-processing?

I think TS meant the in-camera DX (or other format ratio) crop modes during shooting.

But what I was alluding to in my previous question is if you went from a 16mp DX to a 36mp FX, then cropping to DX from the 36MP shot will get you almost the same image as the 16mp DX camera. At pixel level, the later/latest generation DX and FX cameras with similar pixel pitch, perform fairly similarly.

But if you went from a 24mp DX to a 24MP FX then its a very different story. Then merely cropping from FX won't get you anywhere near the pixel density of the DX camera. So you'd want to look into optical pathway with TCs to improve the 'reach'.

If you started with a much older generation DX (eg. the 10MP and 12MP generation) and switched to a D800/e/810, then even the DX crops from FX betters the DX camera (by quite a bit too). But of course you can improve things further with a TC but you also have to consider all the cons of using a TC (eg. decreased sharpness, less light, cost, mechanical tolerances etc.).