Crop Factor: Why you multiply the aperture by the crop factor when comparing lenses

Sep 23, 2009
Singapore
Just sharing with everyone. When we 'calculate' the 35mm-equivalent focal length for APSC cameras, we usually multiply the focal length by it's crop factor. But we often forget about the equivalent aperture value.

[video=youtube;f5zN6NVx-hY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zN6NVx-hY&list=UUDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p9tnwYQ[/video]

Example:
50mm F1.8 lens on a Canon APSC camera is actually:
1.6 (crop factor) x 50mm = 80mm, 1.6 (crop factor) x F1.8 = F2.88 [on a full frame camera].

Hope everyone find this useful. :)

edutilos-

Dec 28, 2010
The Universe
www.facebook.com
I am pretty sure you don't just multiply the F stop value by crop factor, based on an app I downloaded.

It is true that you will have greater DOF (and reduced DOF control) with smaller sensor size of course, that is a well known fact.

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
if my exposure on crop f8 and 1/100
will I have same shutter on FF using f8
shoot same things and same lighting conditions

Mar 1, 2012
Singapore
www.facebook.com
If one use a 50mm on FF to shoot a scene, and then use a crop with the same lens to shoot the same scene, he will need to move backwards in order to get approximate the same field of view. Because u move back, the distance between camera n point of focus is increased, hence less DOF.

Exposure will still be the same, assuming the scene is uniformly illuminated.

To get the same dof as the 50mm (e.g at f/1.8) on the crop camera, the 50mm on the FF will have to move forward (to get same dof) and stop down the aperture by a factor of the crop factor, to get same dof (but reduced exposure). Everything is approximate values, but works well most of the times.

Hope this helps.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
U never heard before full frame can achieve shallower depth of field? How come shallower? Because the aperture is bigger

edutilos-

Dec 28, 2010
The Universe
www.facebook.com
U never heard before full frame can achieve shallower depth of field? How come shallower? Because the aperture is bigger
Erm, you seem to be saying that:

Full frame (sensor size) can achieve shallower depth of field because aperture (lens characteristic) is bigger.

It's more of crop frame sensors taking a "crop" from the centre of the image circle.. Nothing to do with aperture size. FF and CF, same aperture, FF still have shallower DOF.

Mar 14, 2013
Singapore
Just sharing with everyone. When we 'calculate' the 35mm-equivalent focal length for APSC cameras, we usually multiply the focal length by it's crop factor. But we often forget about the equivalent aperture value.

[video=youtube;f5zN6NVx-hY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zN6NVx-hY&list=UUDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p9tnwYQ[/video]

Example:
50mm F1.8 lens on a Canon APSC camera is actually:
1.6 (crop factor) x 50mm = 80mm, 1.6 (crop factor) x F1.8 = F2.88 [on a full frame camera].

Hope everyone find this useful. :)
quite illuminating for a newbie like me. never knew about this :embrass:

Top Bottom