Crop Factor. Still very confused..

teojm37

Sep 11, 2010
Hi guys.. I know this has been talked about in many threads already but I am still confused. what with the DX FX body yada yada.. I think the answer to this question will immediately clear up all my confusion:

If I use a DX lens set at 18mm on a DX body and I use a FX lens set at 18mm on a DX body. Will I get the same field of view?

Straight forward answers will be very much appreciated.

Hi guys.. I know this has been talked about in many threads already but I am still confused. what with the DX FX body yada yada.. I think the answer to this question will immediately clear up all my confusion:

If I use a DX lens set at 18mm on a DX body and I use a FX lens set at 18mm on a DX body. Will I get the same field of view?

Straight forward answers will be very much appreciated.

No, you will not get the same field of view.

No, you will not get the same field of view.
says who?

If you use the same type of camera (DX), mouting an FX lens and DX lens with the same stated focal length (eg. 18mm) will give you the same field of view.

TS, I would advise you to Google up a few terms, such as "image circle" and "crop factor".
There are actually quite detailed explanations online about the differences between FX and DX (cameras and lenses).

Yea I did actually.. But many sources give my conflicting information. Such is an example of the dude above..

says who?

If you use the same type of camera (DX), mouting an FX lens and DX lens with the same stated focal length (eg. 18mm) will give you the same field of view.

Says me~ ;p.

His questions goes: If I use a DX lens set at 18mm on a DX body and I use a FX lens set at 18mm on a DX body. Will I get the same field of view?

Unless I am reading it wrongly. :bigeyes:

Hi, I think FX circular image encompassing the DX sensor will be cropped by the DX sensor equivalent to the size of the circular image of DX lens on DX sensor where there is cropping. The result is same FOV.

says who?

ZCA is correct.

When you mount an 18mm FX lens on a DX camera, it will give you an equivalent of 18mm x 1.5 = 27mm equiv (or 76 degrees angle of view).

When you mount an 18mm DX lens on a DX camera, it will also give you an equivalent of 18mm x 1.5 = 27mm equiv (or 76 degrees angle of view) also.

It is only when you mount an 18mm FX lens on an FX camera, then it will give you an 18mm equiv (or 100 degrees angle of view).

Says me~ ;p.

His questions goes: If I use a DX lens set at 18mm on a DX body and I use a FX lens set at 18mm on a DX body. Will I get the same field of view?

Regardless of whether you use DX lens or FX lens on a DX body, you will have to x1.5 for the crop factor. So 18mm with the 1.5 multiplier will apply because both times, you are using DX body.

When you are using FX body, then you don't use the multiplier.

Says me~ ;p.

Just so you know, the crop factor still applies for a DX lens on a DX body. I think that's where you are confused

Yep.
I think I'm no longer confused!
YAY!!

Thanks guys.

Says me~ ;p.

wildcat has explained quite clearly already... :) No need for me to photocopy his reply :)

hope it's clear now for everyone.

Last edited:
its the body my fren, not the lens~!! :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Says me~ ;p.

You're reading it right, but understanding it wrongly.

Really good video showing the difference of a cropped vs full frame sensor with various lenses. The video shows the Canon 5D Mk II (FF) vs the Canon 7D (1.6 crop), but it will be similar for Nikon, etc.

http://vimeo.com/14832168

SeldomHere

then can you mount a DX Lens on a FX body ?

Yes but imagine if your lens was designed for 76 degrees of view, but you are trying to take 100 degrees of view. There should be approx 24 degrees of "black" space which will be very bad vignetting.

On the other hand, using a FX lens on DX body means you are wasting 24 degrees of good lens space because your lens is capable of taking 100 degrees, but you're only using 76 degrees of it. Your picture will come out nice with no problem, which is why it's OK (sometimes preferable) to mount FX lens on DX body, but very seldom you see people doing it the other way round because black round circle around your picture.

Last edited:

Yes you can. If Nikon DX lenses were mounted on newer FX cams (D700 D3/D3s), the cams will recognize the lens and automatically go into DX mode and crop the image for the DX sensor size.

In options, you can turn off this auto detection and force the camera to use the full FX sensor all the time. Lenses meant for DX will work with the full FX sensor for a portion of the zoom range. For example, the Tokina 11-16 when mounted on a FX cam, will show heavy vignetting 11-15mm but it is fully usable at 16mm on a FX body.