Crop factor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitsuneConundrum

Feb 13, 2009
3rd Rock from the Sun
Hiya all,

Just wanted to ask a question regarding crop factors. I use a APS-C sensor with a 1.6 crop. I know it changes the focal range of the lense but does it affect the Minimum focusing distance too? Thanks in advance all.

Hiya all,

Just wanted to ask a question regarding crop factors. I use a APS-C sensor with a 1.6 crop. I know it changes the focal range of the lense but does it affect the Minimum focusing distance too? Thanks in advance all.

Welcome to Clubsnap!

Sorry to be pedantic, but I'd just like to correct your terminology a little bit.
Having a 1.6 crop factor does not actually change the focal range of the lens. It reduces the field of view which you'd normally see as compared with a full-frame DSLR.
A lens' focal length is a physical property of the lens, to do with the refractive material used and curvature, etc.

a 50mm lens on both a Canon 5D (example of full-frame) and 450D (example of 1.6 crop) has a focal length of 50mm. Nothing changes. The 50mm lens on a 1.6 crop camera gives a field of view LIKE AN 80mm LENS mounted on a full-frame camera.

I think you already know about this la... :) Sorry to correct you.

Status
Not open for further replies.