crop factor of canon

rockdhop

Mar 11, 2008
hi.
ihave read that canon crop factor is x1.6 while nikon is 1.5.

so what exactly does it meant?

if let say im using a canon 550D,looking through the VF, when my zoom on the lens is at 18mm, does it mean that in fact im looking at 28.8mm far, and when i shoot,the image captured will be of the view of at 18x1.6 = 28.8mm?

if not, can anyone tell me what exactly does it meant?

if let say im using a canon 550D,looking through the VF, when my zoom on the lens is at 18mm, does it mean that in fact im looking at 28.8mm far,
No. The physical characteristics of focal length remain unchanged.
and when i shoot,the image captured will be of the view of at 18x1.6 = 28.8mm?
Yes. Field of view is what gets changed.
More to read: DSLR Magnification Factor (vulgo: crop factor)

hi.
ihave read that canon crop factor is x1.6 while nikon is 1.5.

so what exactly does it meant?

if let say im using a canon 550D,looking through the VF, when my zoom on the lens is at 18mm, does it mean that in fact im looking at 28.8mm far, and when i shoot,the image captured will be of the view of at 18x1.6 = 28.8mm?

if not, can anyone tell me what exactly does it meant?

It's the sensor size. The smaller size of it compared to the original 35mm gives it a cropped ratio of 1.6

So while the lens focal length is still the same as when you use it on FF, the cropped end result is smaller and thus it seems as if you have a longer focal length.

So if you have a sensor which is at 2.0 crop (using a different format to explain), what you see at the end of a 18mm lens will instead be at 36mm equivalent of the 35mm format.

Hope you can get the picture.

oh okay, regarding the 18mm at crop factor x2 resulting a 36mm.

in other words, it also meant a "closer" shot (narrower) but at a further zoom, yeah?

am i right to say that in fact, we dont have to bother too much about the crop factor because eventually what i see in the VF = what i get.

oh okay, regarding the 18mm at crop factor x2 resulting a 36mm.

in other words, it also meant a "closer" shot (narrower) but at a further zoom, yeah?

am i right to say that in fact, we dont have to bother too much about the crop factor because eventually what i see in the VF = what i get.

yes :D

hmm got it. since what we see in VF = what we get when we print out, then why is there still people making it sound so chim, and confusing the masses? hahaha

The field of view changes, but the focal length don't. using crop factor 2 as example, if u use a 20mm lens, ur fov is 40mm but everything else remains the same at 20mm. its like u take a photo with 20mm, use PhotoShop and cut out the center portion. that's y its call crop factor, cos ur camera crops out the center for u.

It's a disadvantage, cos ur camera crops yr photo everytime. It's like losing 50% of ur photo everytime u take a photo.

okay i got that. so my dslr will auto crop for me yeah? hmm in other words, what i see in on the VF does not equals to what will be produce, isnt it??i see a 100% view of an apple. but turns out, probably will only be 70% since its crop?

Last edited:
okay i got that. so my dslr will auto crop for me yeah? hmm in other words, what i see in on the VF does not equals to what will be produce, isnt it??i see a 100% view of an apple. but turns out, probably will only be 70% since its crop?

u still see what you get on VF.

just that everything looks more narrower. if u compare the same lens on a FF VF.

Your DSLR viewfinder already compensates for the crop. Your viewfinder is not a "100% full frame coverage" viewfinder where you then need to figure out the crop. It's pre-cropped. Of course, you could have found this out by just taking a picture!!

The easiest way to test this is to hold both a full frame and crop factor dslr in your hands and look thru the viewfinder. You will see the huge difference.

Dun forget there is another factor.

VF coverage of scene. Not all cameras have 100% viewfinders. Most only have 95% or so...

so this can cause another form of error, do note. :)

VF coverage of scene. Not all cameras have 100% viewfinders. Most only have 95% or so...

wads vf?:think:

I think Canon 7D is the only APS-C camera with 100% viewfinder. Correct me if im wrong.

so whatever we see through the VF, is already a cropped image (x1.6) uh?

yes, for Canon cropped DSLRs and also with a factor of 95% viewfinder reduction as well.

Yes. Reason is that not only the sensor is smaller but also the mirror and viewfinder optics. Target is a smaller / cheaper sensor and an overall reduction of camera size.