Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgo

Dec 23, 2003
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi All,

Just want to find out if most of us perform cropping first then edit the photograph, or do editing first then crop at the end.

Feedback are most welcome.

I always edit first and then crop. This way I can get the whole picture when editing and also the area I want to crop may change after the editing. Just my personal opinion. Others may do it the other way.

i always do this:

1. make a copy of the master copy

2. i adopt the 2:3 ratio as a benchmark of how to crop. becoz after thinking it thru long n hard, i realised that 2:3 is the "best choice" since

(i) the viewfinder is 2:3 in the first place
(ii) im usually be going to print out either in 4"x6" or 8"x12" (and 12"x18" for a rare few times)

so i go on and inspect the photo. if its "perfect framing", then no need to crop -> can proceed to edit. if the framing is "off", then i try to crop "the best looking 2:3 " out from it.

3. then edit as many different version as u like

;-)

is something like u prefer wash the chicken first ......... or u chop the chicken n then wash the chicken.. :D which one more better?? :bsmilie:

Snake said:
is something like u prefer wash the chicken first ......... or u chop the chicken n then wash the chicken.. :D which one more better?? :bsmilie:

We're trying to discuss some technicalities here. Thanx very much for the 'joke'.

Virgo said:
We're trying to discuss some technicalities here. Thanx very much for the 'joke'.

sry .... :embrass: :sweat:

Upz for this thread. You mean so few people use PS, so few people use crop and so few people edit their photos? :D

I tend to edit then crop. BUT.

a) auto functions like auto color/contrast/levels tend to work better if you don't have your superfluous areas (that you would have cropped out)

b) the files are smaller after cropping, so photoshop works faster on it.

clive said:
2. i adopt the 2:3 ratio as a benchmark of how to crop. becoz after thinking it thru long n hard, i realised that 2:3 is the "best choice" since

(i) the viewfinder is 2:3 in the first place
(ii) im usually be going to print out either in 4"x6" or 8"x12" (and 12"x18" for a rare few times)

Care to share what's the resolution do you use?
is it 1600:2400 180px/in ?

Thanks.

ST_sg said:
is it 1600:2400 180px/in ?

Thanks.

1600x2400 pixels...r u refering to the setting on the camera itself? :think:

the 180pixels per inch...er..i dunno where u get this from ah? :sweat:
:bsmilie: coz the only thign i know is:

1. if not shooting raw, the set the camera setting to the "best possible" jpeg
2. shoot...
3. transfer the original master copies to computer
4. clone the master copies (work on the clones)
5. for the clones: everything crop to 2:3 ratio.
6. then sharpen, adjust contrast, exposure, colour
7. save as jpeg quality"12", baseline "optimised".

so..the "180pixel per inch" thingy..er..where u get from one ah? :)

Will usually crop with a 2:3 fixed aspect ratio selection, then edit. I rely heavily on the histogram to get the right balance of shades and colours. By not cropping the unwanted parts out, especially in areas of extreme highlights or shadows, may result in the histogram indicating an inaccurate distribution.

i crop first then edit, cannot stand the 'inbalance' of the shot. i need to compose properly first and then adjust the colours later.

clive said:
1600x2400 pixels...r u refering to the setting on the camera itself? :think:

the 180pixels per inch...er..i dunno where u get this from ah? :sweat:
:bsmilie: coz the only thign i know is:

1. if not shooting raw, the set the camera setting to the "best possible" jpeg
2. shoot...
3. transfer the original master copies to computer
4. clone the master copies (work on the clones)
5. for the clones: everything crop to 2:3 ratio.
6. then sharpen, adjust contrast, exposure, colour
7. save as jpeg quality"12", baseline "optimised".

so..the "180pixel per inch" thingy..er..where u get from one ah? :)

I noticed it from Photoshop CS, image size & crop properties lor.
How do you maintain the 2:3 ratio crop huh?

Thanks for sharing.

ST_sg said:
I noticed it from Photoshop CS, image size & crop properties lor.
How do you maintain the 2:3 ratio crop huh?

Thanks for sharing.

Use the rectangular selection tool set at a fixed aspect ratio of 2:3 / 3:2 (depending on orientation of the photo) to select the part of the original picture and use the crop command under the Image pulldown menu. Using the Crop tool at on the side bar will usually result in the selection being resized.

Status
Not open for further replies.