Critique: Bird Photo - post processing using LR

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore

EOS-140417-NATURE-Bird Park-171 by Joshelerry, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I'm beginning to use LR5 for post processing and this is first time doing so with animals. So was asking the gurus and anyone who can offer their opinion on the way the photo is presented.

What is the standard of Post Processing this photo - sharpness, noise level, colours management, exposure etc
Did I overdo or underdo any aspect of the post processing? If so why? Please advise.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A presentable shot ...

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Photo is taken when bird is under the shade of tree, trying to freeze any possible movement of life birds. That is to capture a sharp photo as much as possible. Blurring out background as much to get a subject distinct.

Btw, using the new Tamron 150-600mm ...

f6.3
ISO 6400
1/500s

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.

- Composition is ok in my opinion, was skeptical about the rocks in front (possibly a little bit blown out or bright??)
- Bird is sharp in my opinion but hope to check if it is really so ...
- Noise a little concern here... ISO 6400 on FF and did some noise reduction using LR

Well PP is very subjective & it depends on individuals.

1) Work on a calibrated / color profiled screen.
2) The back ground is a little noisy, perhaps you can paint a mask over the back ground and add in a little more luminance noise reduction.
3) Adjust the shadows to recover some details on the dark belly feathers.
4) Sharpen the bird to have some details on the feathers. At 100% view, adjust the amount, radius & masking carefully for the feather details.

Last edited:
In the first place the eyes of the bird is not sharp. That is the main thing you need to get sharp in pictures of birds.

The photo looks fine to me except for the blown out/bright rocks in the foreground. suggest correcting that and also remove the noise in the background.
13909133386_170d729b2b_o4.jpg

Last edited:
In the first place the eyes of the bird is not sharp. That is the main thing you need to get sharp in pictures of birds.

Thanks for feedback... one main challenge is getting the focal on birds eyes at smaller depth of field.. Tried 1/500s, use AI Servo. Though I must say that I am handholding this big lens with my hand. Have tried to steady as much but its still not enough.

Any more tips on how we can achieve sharp focus on moving subjects like this?

Well PP is very subjective & it depends on individuals.

1) Work on a calibrated / color profiled screen.
2) The back ground is a little noisy, perhaps you can paint a mask over the back ground and add in a little more luminance noise reduction.
3) Adjust the shadows to recover some details on the dark belly feathers.
4) Sharpen the bird to have some details on the feathers. At 100% view, adjust the amount, radius & masking carefully for the feather details.

Regarding the noise reduction, actually I have reduced a lot (on the meter, more than half way mark) and was concern with losing too much details. One question, as I was switching from DPP to LR recently, I notice that the noise are more prominent (same setting) on LR than when it was on DPP. Correct me if I'm or what, but do you have any experience on such?

Dont worry about the back ground, typically it is blur with not much details, just apply until it looks nice & smooth.

Yes, I used DPP when I was using the 5DIII, DPP has a more aggressive blur in the noise reduction settings, less noise was observed but with more loss of fine details. LR 5 is much better in this respect.