"Credit to Photographer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
I have seen more and more such statements " ... credit to photographer ..." in the photoshoot section.

We, as photographer, must exercise our rights regarding copyrights and usage rights. If we do not who will?

Granted, many do feel good when their pictures are used by someone else. I am not suggesting that we forbid the models from using them, but, 2 things must happen.

Permission and Acknowledgment

Many organisers do credit the photographers, but the "credit to photographer" BS is on the rise.

Let's educate the models and the organisers. Too many of them are green.

They wanna credit, they better find out the name and place it prominently...

else dun put up the pics... haiz

i tot some were championing the free market (or open economy) concept of willing seller willing buyer? :dunno:

i tot some were championing the free market (or open economy) concept of willing seller willing buyer? :dunno:

Nothing to do with free market, willing seller and willing buyer.

Every picture posted was taken by someone.

Permission to post must be sought and acknowledgment must be given.

A blind eye here and a blind eye there, we, photographers, will soon loose all claims to the rights we have.

I ahve no problem anyone using images I created, but they better ask first, and acknowledge afterwards. My concern is, many photographers are not seeking what is rightfully their, credit.

Copyrights is one topic photographers are sensitive about and rightly so since it involves bread & butter concerns.. but there are many in CS who are just hobbyist and not too concern about it at all. One such example can be found in the 'Spoonfeed' thread... either the photograher doesn't care or the TS you uses his photo is the same person?

But nonetheless, not all in CS take copyrights too seriously, thus the lax approach to this topic.

../azul123

How about PRESUME :bsmilie:

I have seen more and more such statements " ... credit to photographer ..." in the photoshoot section.

We, as photographer, must exercise our rights regarding copyrights and usage rights. If we do not who will?

Granted, many do feel good when their pictures are used by someone else. I am not suggesting that we forbid the models from using them, but, 2 things must happen.

Permission and Acknowledgment

Many organisers do credit the photographers, but the "credit to photographer" BS is on the rise.

Let's educate the models and the organisers. Too many of them are green.

I can let you win on this issue and I do not wish to quarrel with you (a person I highly regard). You have not come up with a fine example of how this can be done in an efficient way, in a way such that the photographer, the organizer, and the model can legally concur on the use of any pic and consequently this agreement does not seem clumsy on a thread.

Tell me:
What's the use of these sentences "Everyone who agrees "Credit to Photographer" is bullsh!t say Aye!", "when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME"? No point at all. You fail to convince people with your arguments and you lack examples. I am not an unreasonable man. Anyway this is not my problem. The last decision will be decided by Darren et. al.

Tell me:
What's the use of these sentences "Everyone who agrees "Credit to Photographer" is bullsh!t say Aye!", "when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME"? No point at all. You fail to convince people with your arguments and you lack examples. I am not an unreasonable man. Anyway this is not my problem. The last decision will be decided by Darren et. al.

so uptight :( :( :(

I agree. Must exercise our rights.

Like my photos used in book cover got my name inside the first page acknowledgement.

And those adverts in magazines also got my tiny name at the side.

Don't you guys have contracts or something?

Even if I don't have a contract, I print out a simple statistic record of my photos, and certain terms and conditions.

For example, I spent the last year (exactly 1 year) shooting for my school. Each time, I put a digital copyright notice as a notepad file named readme-first.txt, and inside, I tell them to credit me. That's because I'm not part of the photography club, and many of my photographs are of higher quality than theirs.

Turned out, in the annual year book, they printed my photographs, and didn't print my name anywhere. Principal's message? My photo. 90% of National Day celebrations coverage? My photos. Group photos and event coverage for an entire CCA? My photos.

So, after that, you can tell I was pretty pissed. A teacher and good friend of mine (also a fellow clubsnapper) asked me to shoot for our graduation night dinner. Here's the terms and conditions i printed.

Photographs from Saint Andrew’s School Graduation Night Dinner 2008 by Tan Zexun

Photo Set : Saint Andrew’s School Sec 4E/5N Graduation Night Dinner
Photographer : Tan Zexun
Date of Shooting : 13 November 2008
Duration of Event : 4.5 hours
Type of Shooting : Event Documentation, Voluntary
Total Photo Quantity : 801
All Rights Reserved ®. Use with permission only. Content copyright © of Tan Zexun.

Terms & Conditions:

Any/all included photographs are for use only in Saint Andrew's Secondary School as photo prints at /in the following only:
- News / Notice board outside general office, Level 3
- First Quarter 2009 School Newsletter
- Annual School Magazine / Year book 2009

Permission must be sought from the photographer for other locations and or books / newsletters.
Digital sharing of photographs may be allowed if permission is sought from the photographer.
Personal printing of photographs will be allowed if permission is sought from the photographer.

Credit shall be given to the photographer for every photograph printed on the same page, in this format:
“Photograph(s) by Tan Zexun”

Displaying any / all of the included photographs with no credit given is strictly forbidden.

They shall NOT be:
- Edited in any way whatsoever, either digitally such as (but not limited to) cropping, tilting, color, contrast, and tonal adjustments OR physically when printed. Digital cropping and tilting is allowed only for photographs used in the “Annual School Magazine / Year book 2009”.
- Uploaded onto the school website (www.saintadrewsschool.info) or any other website that is affiliated with Saint Andrew’s Secondary School.
- Uploaded onto online photo gallery hosts such as (but not limited to) Flickr, ClubSNAP, Yahoo, Smugmug, Pbase, Google Picasa, Imageshack, Photobucket, Friendster, Facebook.
- Printed and posted / framed on any hallway of Saint Andrew’s Secondary School (other than the news / notice board stated above) or any affiliated institutes.
- Used as or as part of any form of advertisement, either physically or digitally. This includes (but is not limited to) advertisements for Saints Graduation Dinner 2009.

In the event that the printed photographs are to be physically vandalized, I would urge the caretaker to remove or replace the affected prints.
-----
*insert contact details*

I exercised my rights as me shooting a school event for free makes the photographs have the tag of "some rights reserved". I own the photographs, but since it's a school event and I was allowed to shoot, the school also owns some rights of the photographs.

With the internet age upon us, I can't help but shake my head when people copy my stuff and upload the photo onto their facebook / blogger without my permission or credit, just because "they are in the picture".

Cheers,
Zexun

Last edited:
i think the issue at hand isnt really the lack of contract or whatever. its more to do with other random people taking photos and thinking that a simple 'credit to photographer' will suffice. and it really is just 'photographer', not the photographer's name. its quite obvious that they didnt bother to take those few extra steps to find out and give proper credit to the original imagemaker.

I can let you win on this issue and I do not wish to quarrel with you (a person I highly regard). You have not come up with a fine example of how this can be done in an efficient way, in a way such that the photographer, the organizer, and the model can legally concur on the use of any pic and consequently this agreement does not seem clumsy on a thread..
Leejay, IMO there are many photographers, incl me, who are like you, who do not mind ppl using our images for non-commercial usage, but we must consider the rest of the photographers and esp the professional photographers who rightly feel that these images are their creative effort.

As such, this thread is very important in such that ppl should not take things for granted. Credit and permission should be given and asked for all images that they want to use :dunno:

Also, I think the young organisers here have mistaken this "credit to ABC....". It is not the only way to express this permit. One can also use (some examples) :

Copyrights by ABC

Photograph by ABC

Image belongs to ABC

I can let you win on this issue and I do not wish to quarrel with you (a person I highly regard). You have not come up with a fine example of how this can be done in an efficient way, in a way such that the photographer, the organizer, and the model can legally concur on the use of any pic and consequently this agreement does not seem clumsy on a thread.

Tell me:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

How this can be done?

First of all, my model release allows the model to use the images I give her for non commercial purposes, for her own website, for her own on line portfolio.

To use the images in promoting organised paid shoot, permission is needed and I will grant such permission generally within reasons. However, still, permission must be sought, and acknowledgemetn must be given. All can be transacted via email. Is that too much to ask for.

What I no idea what you meant by "assuming"? I am assuming nothing. Fact is fact. Credits are rarely given to pictures posted in the photoshoot forum, and many a times, the credit is "Credit to Photographer", and that is not acceptable.

Is that too much too ask for by a photographer? I think the answer is NO.
Btw, what does Darren and compnay has to do with this? I am sure, they are all in agreement, that copyrights is important.

Last edited:
so how? add 1 more rule or ask somebody to nanny us? :dunno:

so how? add 1 more rule or ask somebody to nanny us? :dunno:

What rules are you talking about? To ensure one only post images that one has the right to do so? That is not a new rule!

Who is nannying who? You totally lost me.

What rules are you talking about? To ensure one only post images that one has the right to do so? That is not a new rule!

Who is nannying who? You totally lost me.

den how to go about execrising the rights? thatz why i tot need 1 new rule, organisers must abide by. den got new rule need 'nanny' to enforce. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.