Credit Cards, enlighten me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepless

Jul 26, 2004
Telok Kurau
Hi CSers, which bank and credit card gives your money the most worth in your opinion? Enlighten me? And any that gives you 0% interest rate on hire purchase of cameras at any of the more popular shops like CP, MS etc.? :)

Thinking of getting one soon...but there are so many to choose from.

DBS, OCBC, CITIBANK.

Benefits are almost similar with diff cards

Sleepless said:
Hi CSers, which bank and credit card gives your money the most worth in your opinion? Enlighten me? And any that gives you 0% interest rate on hire purchase of cameras at any of the more popular shops like CP, MS etc.? :)

Your userID is already Sleepless.. and if you are thinking of getting the cards because you can go for hire purchase.. you will really have sleepless night after that!

:nono: :nono:

If you intend to settle the balance every month end, that all credit cards are the same. (well almost the same)
If you dont intend to settle the balance every month end, and want the debt to roll over to next month, with or without 0% interest, then you need to find out which credit cards charge what interest rate. It can range from 12% to 24% (I think).

J.J said:
Your userID is already Sleepless.. and if you are thinking of getting the cards because you can go for hire purchase.. you will really have sleepless night after that!

:nono: :nono:

hahahahahahah...rofl That is GOOD one!

J.J, no lah, not going for cards because of hire purchase! haha, anyway u made a good one out of my nick. :sweat:

More for convenience sake, u know, stepping out into society to work for some time already, just get one when NETS can't do the job. Hire purchase is just an option. What cards do u people use? ;)

Perhaps there should be a card for all CSers.. lovers of photography..n its equipement.

Sleepless said:

Don't just take note of the interest difference and late charges. Some might give you better rate but once you owe then and you're late...some are more particular about you making your minimum payment ASAP!

And if you intend to roll over your credit you can expect to pay more interest. If I am not wrong, they have difference rate for people who pay prompt and those that are often late. I know of one that actually will review your using habits and payment and can within a short few days and before they inform you will reduce your credit limit. Have heard alot of scary stories from other sites and folks I know. Had a run in with one of my own CC which got me pissed that i cancel the card, paid the money back and change to another bank. Only then they were all nice and more willing to listen to keep your business especially they they find you actually have the cash to pay up and change to another bank's credit facilities.

You also need to note if you are a first time card owner or about to be one. The instalment is not something you qualify for with a credit card as per say. That instalment is base on your availability of your credit line value. For example if you were approve a credit line of $6000. You want to uy a new camera kit for $2000. When you use your card to pay and arrange for the instalment. You will pay your instalment base on what duration you pick but now your credit limit value is now $4000. It does not mean that you have $6000 to use plus you get an instalment scheme going for another $2000 for the camera kit. They dont charge you interest on the instalment of course since they will charge you credit card interest on the $2000 you have just sign up which is consider outstanding debt you used from your approved credit. So it adds up. Imagine using up all $6000 for instalment on some item. Your roll over interest rate on your credit debt will run pretty high. That;s wy they can let go on the instalment interest.

And you can't be too late with your payment as I mentioned, as they will make a note and can send in information to the Credit Bureau which might hamper your other credit facility or your ability to get a loan later. Some bank more sensitive about this and some bank talk alot but they will still stick you.

Not trying to scare you but something to think about also apart from hearing about how easy and which bank can get you the best deal. They are all very nice in the begining and may even throw in the gifts...but once you are signed up..your a** is theirs unless you have the means to chuck them in case of problems.

i are starting to cancel cards by cards now.... last time signed up bcos of free gifts on road show :devil:

going to keep only my M1-Citibank :sticktong

I thot your initial post is loooking for a card that can give you 0% interest free on hire purchase ??

Whatever it is ... looking for card that can give you 3 years or 5 years without paying for subscription fees ... :) Better still combine the card with membership likes SAFRA & OCBC lor ... :)

So far I finds citibank has the best customer service when attending your enquiry ... :thumbsup:

Do take note some bank charge late payment fees as high as $30 hor ... :cry: unless you call in to ask for waiver

if monthly payment is full payment by GIRO, then i shld be ok.

but seldom we use credit limit to 6K right? thus, even 12 month interest free installment shld be ok....

Paul_Yeo said:
i are starting to cancel cards by cards now.... last time signed up bcos of free gifts on road show :devil:

going to keep only my M1-Citibank :sticktong

yup yup .. M1-citibank card helps to offset my hp bills ... :bsmilie:

KNIGHT ONG said:
I thot your initial post is loooking for a card that can give you 0% interest free on hire purchase ??

Whatever it is ... looking for card that can give you 3 years or 5 years without paying for subscription fees ... :) Better still combine the card with membership likes SAFRA & OCBC lor ... :)

So far I finds citibank has the best customer service when attending your enquiry ... :thumbsup:

Do take note some bank charge late payment fees as high as $30 hor ... :cry: unless you call in to ask for waiver

GIRO :sticktong

cards I'm using
UOB One card = uob for dining privileges, charge power bill to card, + cashback
Uob Visa Mini = friday got free latte every friday, 2 times a month entry to planet fitness (dunno, haven't apply yet)

StanChart Pru Card = cos my monthly insurance premiums already 400+, so the amount I place in premium already cover any annual fee of the card + etc. so save a bit here also.

---
cards cancelled=
m1 citibank = cos using singtel now,
singtel uob gold, cos totally useless card, singtel allow you pay fees by other cards as well
clearcard = also totally useless
dbs mc2 card = also totally useless

Paul_Yeo said:

but seldom we use credit limit to 6K right? thus, even 12 month interest free installment shld be ok....
BUY D2h ,,, you will need that closer to it .... :devil:

Paul_Yeo said:

Buy a diamond at Tiffany, or Lee Hwa, you will need much more than that.

Wow, very prompt and efficient responses especially from sammy888. Think CS is really one of the most active n friendly forums in Singapore. ;)

Knight: Opps, guess i gave u the wrong impression. But i guess most cards more or less give u 0% interest.

M1-Citibank seems like something to consider since I've got 2 M1 lines. But heard from my friends its quite difficult to get a Citibank card.

Much to consider still, n research on...can't make the wrong move about this. :) Thanks guys for the notes so far.

Actually hoh, nowadays I think I prefer cards with lower credit limits. At least then if sway (touch wood) lost the card somewhere, somehow, the possible "injury" inflicted to the heart is lighter.

Then again, I sign up cards for free gifts and cancel them if the banks require me to pay annual fee (usually call in to ask them to waive). :D

SYPeck said:
Actually hoh, nowadays I think I prefer cards with lower credit limits. At least then if sway (touch wood) lost the card somewhere, somehow, the possible "injury" inflicted to the heart is lighter.

Then again, I sign up cards for free gifts and cancel them if the banks require me to pay annual fee (usually call in to ask them to waive). :D

hehe... that's what I'm doing too... calling in to cancel once I'm required to pay the annual fees. :D But so far haven't really gotten much freebies... just got annual fee waived.

No preference for me... think all cards about the same bah.

OCBC-NTUC card get 5 yrs free. 1500 NTUC link pt.

For the late payment, oversea bank easily to waive but local one... ask alot of question....

The best way to cancel the card, is cut the card into half and sent in together with the annual fees invoice back.
Save the trouble...

All cards is abt the same ... just that u prefer which one....

cancel the card , you are not using...
6 mth later, apply again for the free gift.. if the free gift is good lar.....

then you can sub each other to get more free gift.. That's why I and my husband did on the AMEX. U sub me, I sub you. In the end, got 3 Guess watch, 1 big bear + 1 small bear.. :)

therat said:
OCBC-NTUC card get 5 yrs free. 1500 NTUC link pt.

For the late payment, oversea bank easily to waive but local one... ask alot of question....

The best way to cancel the card, is cut the card into half and sent in together with the annual fees invoice back.
Save the trouble...

All cards is abt the same ... just that u prefer which one....

cancel the card , you are not using...
6 mth later, apply again for the free gift.. if the free gift is good lar.....

then you can sub each other to get more free gift.. That's why I and my husband did on the AMEX. U sub me, I sub you. In the end, got 3 Guess watch, 1 big bear + 1 small bear.. :)

:bsmilie:

Wah ... you win liao! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.