Credit card that you use the most and why

amachi

Jul 20, 2009
I used my Manhattan Card the most as it gives cash back for most of my purchases :D

Thinking to apply for POSB everyday card though. The cash back for bill payment and groceries@carrefour is tempting :D

Which credit card you guys use the most? And why?

I kept a few cards just in case your above mentioned happens....5% off from carefour purchase is quite a lot :sweat:

For other consumptions...it will be UOB gold classic....other than the points....probably due to sentimental reason as it has been with me for 10 over years :lovegrin:

I find myself carrying a lot of cards coz like different places have different offers. All things equal, I will tend to use Citibank (same reason as Big Kahuna - longest with me) or AMEX (since they just offered me a waiver to join).

used to use Citibank dividend card for the rebates but gave up already, very hard to hit the $50 rebate since i dun drive haha.

now switch to Citibank premier miles card to clock miles instead since no expiry date for the miles points. :)

each $1 purchase = 1.2 mile point

I used whatever cards my dad gave me.

I use Citi Clear as it gives 5X rewards for a lot of my purchases. My Citi Dividend is when i pump petrol.
My UOB cards are used only when the stores have UOB promotions going on

Same here I use Manhanttan card most frequently.. I usually charge more than 2k a month to it, so the 5% cash back on any purchase every quarter is :thumbsup:

If I catch movie at Cathay, I'd use UOB One or Amex..

Citibank is mostly on dining and pump petrol at Esso... Haha!

i used citi dividend for petrol
uob singtel for my singtel bills
uob 1 card...for most stuff
sometimes citi clear when got offers

haven tried manhanttan though.

is there any credit card can be used to pay erp?

Citibank dividend - favourite.
DBS VISA - occasionally.
Amex - when I travel and when ordering from overseas cos if got merchant fraud, Amex will refund me the money FIRST without question.

POSB Everyday card. Not just cash back from carrefour but also from SPC/Starhub/Waston which I find very useful.

Hmm for me hmm

HSBC Platinum - for most stuff and Caltex petrol and GV tickets cos each movie just like $7.50
Citi SMART - for lol SMART lo
RBS Platinum - for some discount stuff

and some other cards lor but seldom use etc... apply for the sake of applying haha

Amex - ...when ordering from overseas cos if got merchant fraud, Amex will refund me the money FIRST without question.

wow.. seems like this is good point of having an AMEX.
willing to share any of bad experience when using AMEX for online purchases?
now i can dust my corporate AMEX for online purchases if needed.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Same here I use Manhanttan card most frequently.. I usually charge more than 2k a month to it, so the 5% cash back on any purchase every quarter is :thumbsup:

If I catch movie at Cathay, I'd use UOB One or Amex..

Citibank is mostly on dining and pump petrol at Esso... Haha!

5% cash back for anything that you charged to the card? That would be a huge savings over my DBS Visa....

5% cash back for anything that you charged to the card? That would be a huge savings over my DBS Visa....

Up to 5% actually.

They will give you cash back for anything except late fee payment, etc.

But the cash back % depends on total spend reflected on your monthly statement.

I believe < 500 will give you 0.5%
501 - 1500 will give you 1%
1501 - 3000 will give you 2%
>3000 will give you 5%

But I am not too sure on how they count the rebate. If I spend 2500 a month. Will I get:
2% * 2500

OR

(0.5% * 500) + (1% * 1000) + (2% * 1000)

Can anyone clarify?

Up to 5% actually.

They will give you cash back for anything except late fee payment, etc.

But the cash back % depends on total spend reflected on your monthly statement.

I believe < 500 will give you 0.5%
501 - 1500 will give you 1%
1501 - 3000 will give you 2%
>3000 will give you 5%

But I am not too sure on how they count the rebate. If I spend 2500 a month. Will I get:
2% * 2500

OR

(0.5% * 500) + (1% * 1000) + (2% * 1000)

Can anyone clarify?

1501 - 3000 will give you 2% = 2500*2% = $50 My guess.

used to have Citibank but realized they share information with marketing department and will get loads of cold calls. So cut the card up and terminate. Now peaceful as ever.

used to have Amex but run into problem when travelling cos they say they have different cost center and my card is Southeast Asia or something and cannot use in greater China until I have to call AMEX to get it resolved. Give them one chance and run into the same problem again in Europe. So cut up the card and terminate.

used to have Standchart till on a trip I burst my credit limit while overseas and they say need to fill in form and apply for temporary credit increase. Need to wait 3 days or a week or something like that. Cut card up and terminate immediately.

Now using DBS. No cold calls, usable in every country I have been to, temp credit limit can be increased at a phone call. And also get free insurance coverage if travelling expense is charge to card. :thumbsup: But I also found their late payment fees are quite high. I forgot to make payment once and was slapped with quite a hefty penalty. Luckily they allow reversal as my track record has been perfect and it is a one-off genuine case of forgetfulness.

I also like OCBC for sentimental value as it is the first bank to give me a credit card many years ago when I started on my first job and my salary then didn't even clear the minimum requirement. It meant a lot to me then as it is my first credit card. :). It also has very good Internet banking facilities and is the first local bank to go electronic statement. Save me the hassle of having to shred a lot of papers. :thumbsup:

Actually, I don't really bother about the perks that you get. While it is good you get 5% off here and there. But it is the usability of these cards when you really need them. Imagine being stranded in a foreign country if all you have is one card and that card cannot be used.

Last edited:
used to use Citibank dividend card for the rebates but gave up already, very hard to hit the $50 rebate since i dun drive haha.

now switch to Citibank premier miles card to clock miles instead since no expiry date for the miles points. :)

each $1 purchase = 1.2 mile point

:) same here, Citibank Premier Miles. I prefer rewarding myself with a decent holiday at the end of the year ;)

:) same here, Citibank Premier Miles. I prefer rewarding myself with a decent holiday at the end of the year ;)

u all dunno that this card need to pay $180 yearly fees after first year? they dun wavie the fees, unless u trade in some miles u acrued.

I use a seldom used RBS switch. Mainly cos i use it to pay for taxi bills without incurring the admin fees and plus have priority book for cabs.
Other than that, i dun support credit cards, have only like POSB everyday card due to 3% at wastson and 5% at carrefour...esp when u buy laptop from there.