credit card sized PnS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Which is a good credit card sized PnS to get?

The must have criterias are
- 28mm WA for group shots
- 1600 ISO for low light
- 3" 920k LCD for big and bright screen
- flat and can keep in pocket.

The good to have criteria:
- some level of manual controls
- 5X zoom at least

Please recommend. Thanks

Last edited:

- 1600 ISO for low light

- 5X zoom at least

Please recommend. Thanks

Those criteria alone will already narrow it down to a handful of cameras that you can see by going to any of the shops, or just checking online websites like dpreview. Have you done that already??

Also, do consider that ISO 1600 on a PnS compact cam usually equals "unusable shot"

why dunch you just say compact cameras rather than "credit card sized" :bsmilie:
28mm wide, i think you'll most likely be looking at lumix..

High ISO at 1600 for a PnS? i think its unusable, maybe the LX3 will fall into the cat, but seems to be missing some features you are looking for.

I think u got "credit card size" slogan from Casio...

Pentax, Casio, Canon, Sony each has a series of tiny compacts that is credit card size (but diff thickness). However, to stick to his dimension, you must down the iso to 800 for group, 3x optical zoom and limited to P mode auto only.
Tiny compacts are designed for spontanous photo + one hand operation, so minimal tweaking are their primary feature.

Canon ixus 100 IS is a very small camera (matching T9) surprisingly produce acceptable image at iso800 (little discoloration and minor details are visible) on monitor screen. Sony lower number T-series but iso400 max. Pentax Optio is rather bad at IQ- max iso200. I have never seen Casio in action.

Hope this helps.

- 1600 ISO for low light

- 5X zoom at least

Please recommend. Thanks

How about Panasonic TZ7?

25mm WA
ISO1600 is available but definitely noisy
3" 460k LCD
12x zoom
It's not credit card sized but flat and pocketable at least.

My favourite.... for now. :bsmilie:

Exacty the face size of the credit card.

P1010112-01600x400.jpg

Pentax, Casio, Canon, Sony each has a series of tiny compacts that is credit card size (but diff thickness). However, to stick to his dimension, you must down the iso to 800 for group, 3x optical zoom and limited to P mode auto only.
Tiny compacts are designed for spontanous photo + one hand operation, so minimal tweaking are their primary feature.

Canon ixus 100 IS is a very small camera (matching T9) surprisingly produce acceptable image at iso800 (little discoloration and minor details are visible) on monitor screen. Sony lower number T-series but iso400 max. Pentax Optio is rather bad at IQ- max iso200. I have never seen Casio in action.

Hope this helps.

How about Panasonic TZ7?

My favourite.... for now. :bsmilie:

Exacty the face size of the credit card.

image of Canon IXUS 100 in bold red

Thanks for the recommendations based on experiences and ownership. That's what people are trying to ask when they post on this forum. Appreciated.

After trying out a couple of these "credit card sized" PnS myself, I find them too small and light for my hands. In fact, they are so light that I cannot hold my hands still as I try to compose on the LCD. So is really point and shoot without proper composition. Carry them around is a pleasure though as they almost cannot be felt. I will consider something slightly bigger...maybe the Canon Powershot SX200 or Lumix LX3, that I hope I can hold still.

Anyone has any experience on Ricoh R10, GX200 or the GRII? Specs wise they look very decent but don't hear much about them.

Last edited:
Anyone has any experience on Ricoh R10, GX200 or the GRII? Specs wise they look very decent but don't hear much about them.

Check the reviews... They've not been too good for those cams. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.