Credit Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jix

Oct 20, 2005
Pacman's Corner
www.flickr.com
Hi! As stated in the subject...

What would you do if you see that there's a transaction in your credit card statement that is not yours? Aside from filing a complaint to your bank & cancelling your card, what else would you do?

Thanks.

Hi! As stated in the subject...

What would you do if you see that there's a transaction in your credit card statement that is not yours? Aside from filing a complaint to your bank & cancelling your card, what else would you do?

Thanks.

ask the bank to produce the receipt to show proof of purchase.. u can contact MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore) if things dun work out.

Or rather, what else CAN you do?

Right. I have cancelled d card and filed a complaint. Aside from that I dont know what else to do. Also, I really dont want to make a big fuss about it. Anyway, they have said they will hold that transaction until they verified...

Nver experienced this before... Im just worried that they will insist that I made the transaction.

ask the bank to produce the receipt to show proof of purchase.. u can contact MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore) if things dun work out.

Thank for the info. :thumbsup:

I've encountered that before with my UOB card. Called them and told them I refuse to pay, as it was not initiated by me.

They made an investigation on it and found out that it was done via Internet, and the IP used for this transaction wasn't a Singapore IP. I proved to them that I was in Singapore that time. They take it, cancelled the card, send another card to me and I have been using it since then! :)

Since your card is a credit card, just do not pay for the transaction that is not yours. Tell the bank that you will settle payment only after their investigation. Also, since you cancelled your card, you don't have to worry about other transactions.

I was in a similiar situation but worst cos mine was a debit card. I lost my card and didn't know abt it. I only realised the lost card a few days later and proceeded to cancel the card immediately. However, in the time which I lost the card to the day i reported it lost, someone took my card and signed a few thousand $$ away. Since it was a debit card, money has been deducted from my account.
..to but the long story short....
bank investigated and refused to refund my money...I had to bear the losses.

Anyone knows what to do??

Just need to tell the Bank that the charge does not belong to you. They will do an investigation. If the transaction is really not done by you, they will normally refund the money to you and replace a new card for you to prevent further fraudulent charges on the card. If they cannot prove that the charge is yours, you have the right not to pay. This is just a very small matter, no need to report to MAS. In the Bank, they handle more than 10 cases of such nature every day.

the bank ask you to sign at the back of the card, but many retailers never check these, better to have a card with your picture on it!

HS

But there are not many cards that have a photo at the front. I know that Citibank have, but are they still using this function?

How to prove if the transaction is done by you or not???

If I go and buy lots of stuff and then tell bank that I didn't do all these transactions, how???

If I go and buy lots of stuff and then tell bank that I didn't do all these transactions, how???

Good point! Just becareful lar. If your card is lost and not reported it immediately, it's a goner especially if it's a DEBIT card.

You still need to sign right? If the signature match, how to deny? :think:

Talking about such concerns, received a call from ABN AMRO today stating that my card information might have been compromised and are requesting my acknowledgement to cancel and re-issue a new card. Apparantly credit card frauds are getting rampent, impact on debit cards might be more serious.

That is why a good trick I always use is to only have a very small balance in the debit card. And I only use the debit card for internet purchases - when need to use, then just transfer, use and then leave back to a small balance.

For my case, I did not know that the card was a debit card (I was too blur to realised a visa sign on the card). I thought it was a ATM card (which is protected by my pin number) so it is safe. I remember signing at the back of my card too. But I guess someone either forged my signature or managed to do some internet transactions.

It was a lesson learnt. I never carry a debit card around anymore. At least for a credit card, you can just refuse to pay. I could have bought a couple of L lens with that money!!!

Btw, does anyone know if you make a transaction via a debit card, will it be reflected in your bank account Immediately? Will the bank know that a transaction was effected in their system immediately or will they only know a few days later (like a credit card).

It will be reflected in the system immediately. For DBS, you can see it under Debt Charge Enquiry - there will be the amount earmarked for payment.

Reason why it is shown immediately is because your balance is also updated immediately - to prevent withdrawal resulting in the charge failing.

It will be reflected in the system immediately. For DBS, you can see it under Debt Charge Enquiry - there will be the amount earmarked for payment.

Reason why it is shown immediately is because your balance is also updated immediately - to prevent withdrawal resulting in the charge failing.

Going by what you say Vince, when I call the call centre to ask abt my transaction history, they should be able to tell me my last transaction which was done 5 mins earlier. DOes this apply to weekends as well? How abt overseas purchases?

You still need to sign right? If the signature match, how to deny? :think:

That's provided the transactions were done physically. What if they were e-transactions over the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.