creativity in singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

blessedenise

May 6, 2006
anyone ever wondered if e govt is really serious about nurturing creativity in singaporeans? been thinkin abt this and really wonder is there really room to grow in the creative industry? is there a future for it? really, i dont know but i hope so. came across this website tt is supported by the ministry of information, communications and the arts and they set up a creative community in singapore and e govt is actually giving seed-funding for entrepreneurs who wanna set up a creative business here in singapore. im not sure who will be interested in this but all i noe is that whoever is interested in this will seriously benefit. no harm giving a try at e webpage..they even allow online submission of ur proposal =) they have taken on creative projs tt are beneficial to the community ..like fund raising through photo exhibitions.. go find out all these at the webpage : www.creativecommunity.sg
this is really for pple who are interested n open n receptive to e help of e govt =)

Frankly, i felt that it has become a joke.

The moment creativity is to be governed, encouraged, campaigned for... it just it doesnt exist anymore.

If one dont stifle creativity in the first place, there will be more than one can buy with money.

A good example is the adverts played in cinemas before the movie starts. Compare those local ones (Fisherman's Friend, Milo, Walls) to the ones from overseas (Gillette, Fosters) there's a difference in the benchmark level. Even SAF got an aussie chap to do the latest recruitment advert :sweat:

Klose said:
A good example is the adverts played in cinemas before the movie starts. Compare those local ones (Fisherman's Friend, Milo, Walls) to the ones from overseas (Gillette, Fosters) there's a difference in the benchmark level. Even SAF got an aussie chap to do the latest recruitment advert :sweat:

The SAF have used an Aussie Advertising agency (probably the same one) since the early 90s for their TV ads.

If you compare the ads of the ones for the SAF/SN/RSAF and the ones for the RAAF/RAN/AA throughout the 90s, they have the same stylised feel/look to them. I believe the same advertising agency was not contracted by the Australians for the ones after Y2K.

Creativity in Singapore will never be first-world class for several reasons beyond our control.
1. Singapore's strict laws and regulations
2. Our education system
3. Our asian's culture and life's values - traditions, heritage, bringing up, etc.
Creativity is all about expression but if it is restricted and managed, there will be nothing left. There are so many rules, regulations, laws, etc that most people will choose the safer road by using the "last one was ok rule" with the authorities.
Our education system is that reaching the final destination in the safest and fastest method is the most impt, rather than choosing a more colorful and riskier way.
Being Asian, our bringing up value is mostly traditional.

Manifesting a degree of creativity in a general populace requires some chaos.

Thinking about something new requires that you destroy the old but the general psyche here is about slow, controlled evolution not explosive revolution. The government has spent 30+ years inculcating the message of "Don't rock the boat" into the public and given the general conservatism of asian cultures, that has backfired heavily when it comes to 'creating' creativity.

Getting an atmosphere which is conducive to creativity requires almost unfettered freedom of expression and a certain degree of maturity and intelligence in the society at large. Without freedom of expression, there is creativity but freedom of expression without maturity and intelligence gets you apathetic rebelliousness.

What can the government do?
Learn to let go but letting go all at once is not to everyone's taste. Creativity will take time and I for one don't see Singapore reaching foreign standards of creativity within the next 20-40 years. We need 2 more generations, one to test the boundaries of our freedom of expression and another one to use it intelligently.

there's a local arts community, with good creativity,just look for it
I'm not keen on saying how uncreative singaporeans are, because there are alot of very creative singaporeans around.

a good site to start from is http://www.farm.sg

Farm's a good start, but the government must realise that it all comes in a package, and we do not have the right to pick and choose with such arrogance.

You want creativity to flourish, you change the entire system.Anything else is lip service.

hey if they give $ then take lah...

not everyone have their own sponsors or enough $$$ to start off u know...:cry:

and some pple wan $$$ to start or aid in their project garmen also bo hue!:bheart:

In terms of advertising, we are restricted by conservative clients who are in turn restricted by conservative audiences. If one would watch foreign ads that play on puns or jokes, ours look as if they are catered for pre school kids. Reasoning is very simple, our audiences are immature and take up offence with any small thing. So many commercials that try to toe the line and programs that intend to be a little creative have caught flak from audiences that write in to either MediaCorp or the Straits Times to complain.

Reasons given included: Distasteful commercial, bad influence on children, sexual connotations etc. So the result? The ad gets pulled off air or shifted to a after midnite slot.
Clients know this and hence all local ads decided to play it safe.

As for creativity as a whole, I do agree that it cannot be governed. And it is not measured by how many As you got in school or how many years you worked in a creative industry. Unfortunately that is how creativity is being gauged in Spore. If one looks at the grants given by MDA for film making, there are conditions like where you studied, who you are working for etc etc. With controls like this, its applying using academic guidelines to gauge a totally non academic subject. Sometimes they forget most of the world's greatest creatives have no academic cert.

However it is not to say there are no talents in Singapore, there are talents and I have seen some good ones. Just that they need to be pushed in the right direction.

i beg to differ,

acadamic qualifications are not the most important

it is the portfolio and presentation that really matters.
if all else are equal then the acadamic qualification will be taken into consideration.

ortega said:
i beg to differ,

acadamic qualifications are not the most important

it is the portfolio and presentation that really matters.
if all else are equal then the acadamic qualification will be taken into consideration.

u forgot abt the experience too ;)

zhang3feng said:
u forgot abt the experience too ;)
you might be right

"the ability to produce good work" is most important

experience is most important only when you move up the ladder into a management position

leews2001 said:
Frankly, i felt that it has become a joke.

The moment creativity is to be governed, encouraged, campaigned for... it just it doesnt exist anymore.

If one dont stifle creativity in the first place, there will be more than one can buy with money.

i think the problem is , we have no room for failures, every time we try, especially if government funded, you must hit the bulls eye.

i do not know if there is any statistics on this, but looking at other countries we see many success stories and creative work, but with all this successes, I am sure there are at least an equal if not more nos. of failures.:dunno:

ortega said:
the first step to success is failure.

In Singapore, it's different ....
The first wrong step .... you are out. :cry:

LazerLordz said:
Farm's a good start, but the government must realise that it all comes in a package, and we do not have the right to pick and choose with such arrogance.

You want creativity to flourish, you change the entire system.Anything else is lip service.

changing e entire system is not easy n i feel that e govt is tryin to take steps alrdy..i believe there r singaporeans out there who want to expand their creative ideas n dont have e means to do so..so i feel creative community is one way for them to get financial aid n even marketing help..
PS: Farm's a very good start!i checked out e webpage! =) thanks for e link!

Sion said:
When you're out
You can be creative.

but u'll hav a hard time looking 4 $$ aid, cos out liao...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.