Creative .... which way u'r goin...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Today is our National Day and our PM is saying that our nation is doing great.... but not one of our fav's son, Creative Tech.
Last yr Creative lost US$118m, and this yr is US$72m! .... if not for the cash angpow (US$100m) from Apple, it would be quite bad. Main reasons given were drop in demand in US, Apple's dominance of the MP3 market, competitions from low-cost producers and Microsoft, and from music-capable cellphones.
In US alone, the iPods command a 69% market share compared to Creative 3.6%!
A breakdown of incomes for Creative, .... 57% from media players, 15% from audio products, 18% from speakers and 10% from others.
I am just wondering, will Creative still be around in Yr 2015? Will it become a born-again success-story or will it fade into a little known Corporation? .....
Being a Singaporean, I would really hope that our bro, Creative will regain its vision and focus on its strength ..... in recent years, Creative is focusing on cost-trimming (just like the Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean) to maintain its profitability. This, IMO is bad if done as a long-term objective.... the emphasis should be products (hardwares + softwares) breakthrough.

Happy Birthday Singapore! :heart:

u are right in a way, but if u look hard enough into the comments by sooo many singaporeans on creative products, u will know that "even singaporeans dun support singapore products" its hard for creative to survive.

too many ppl have the "the moon is brighter on the other side" mentality and go for the ipod.

aiya... too bad Uncle Sim spending too much time on his China lady friend. ;)
hope he bounce back soon. :)

too many ppl have the "the moon is brighter on the other side" mentality and go for the ipod.
Creative should then use this song as the company's theme song. .....月亮代表我的心 :think:
你问我爱你有多深
我爱你有几分
我的情也真
我的爱也真
月亮代表我的心

You ask me how deep my love for you is,
How much I really love you…
My affection is real.
My love is real.
The moon represents my heart.

this is the reality of the business world.

Creative Tech needs to branch out to other fields, why always stick to doing technology stuff ? :confused:

Personally, i feel Samsung MP3 are the best.

I think part of this has to do with the fact that creative has really dropped the ball in the competition for a mp3 player, just as Sony did and they're now both struggling to catch up with Apple. Also i think the fact that Creative hasn't done anything innovative since the first introduction of the sound blaster card is another reason why they're fading into obscurity. They need to come up with something new and innovative and not rest on their past archievements if they still want to stay competitive in the dynmaic business environment that they're in.

Ask Mr Sim to join in the DSLR market.... :lovegrin:

and fail miserably? Creative has no experience in digital imaging and there no business in venturing into that territory...another huge factor to over come will be the image that people associate with the Creative brand: which is audio...not photography...and that is a huge mountain for them to claim that they cannot afford...want to diversify should pick something that is related to their core business otherwise they will flop and flop badly.

The only territory it hasn't venture into yet is the mobile phone. We will then have a Creative phone that is a hi-fi speaker, instrument, mouse, webcam, computer, video and still cam all roll into one.

Today is our National Day and our PM is saying that our nation is doing great.... but not one of our fav's son, Creative Tech.
Last yr Creative lost US$118m, and this yr is US$72m! .... if not for the cash angpow (US$100m) from Apple, it would be quite bad. Main reasons given were drop in demand in US, Apple's dominance of the MP3 market, competitions from low-cost producers and Microsoft, and from music-capable cellphones.
In US alone, the iPods command a 69% market share compared to Creative 3.6%!
A breakdown of incomes for Creative, .... 57% from media players, 15% from audio products, 18% from speakers and 10% from others.
I am just wondering, will Creative still be around in Yr 2015? Will it become a born-again success-story or will it fade into a little known Corporation? .....
Being a Singaporean, I would really hope that our bro, Creative will regain its vision and focus on its strength ..... in recent years, Creative is focusing on cost-trimming (just like the Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean) to maintain its profitability. This, IMO is bad if done as a long-term objective.... the emphasis should be products (hardwares + softwares) breakthrough.

Happy Birthday Singapore! :heart:

When I think of Creative, I think of sound blaster, zen vision and a host of other low end crippled crappy stuff. Thery don't seem to understand what their customers want.

When I think of Creative, I think of sound blaster, zen vision and a host of other low end crippled crappy stuff. Thery don't seem to understand what their customers want.

exactly...many other big corps have also fallen into the same trap that creative has...corps like IBM, GM, Ford, Sears...

u are right in a way, but if u look hard enough into the comments by sooo many singaporeans on creative products, u will know that "even singaporeans dun support singapore products" its hard for creative to survive.

want to support local products also cannot blindly support right? that would be plain stupidity. if the product meets my requirements i will buy. eg... i dun buy the creative mp3 players cos they dun work seamlessly with my mac and itunes, but i bought their desktop theatre set.

this is the reality of the business world.

Creative Tech needs to branch out to other fields, why always stick to doing technology stuff ? :confused:

Personally, i feel Samsung MP3 are the best.

No. If you understand corporate finance, you will know that a company that branches out to do all sorts of stuff is not favoured by shareholders. Shareholders prefer to diversify into other stuffs themselves. Nobody likes a headless chicken that runs in all sorts of directions. Creative must stick with technology... because that's what it does best.

However, Creative needs to find a killer product... which it has failed to do so for years. It competes with the bigger boys in all its product mix... a jack of all trades and a master of none. MP3 and stuff are old school, and dominated by iPod. Other players are also inching into the market. Speakers and computer peripherals are dominated by Logitech... which leaves it with the soundcard and X-Fi line. That's a good line and should be improved and integrated with its other lines... but it's not good enough. Analysts and shareholders expect more.

Without a killer product, the only way is down.

I feel that the X-Fi soundcards are the only thing going for them. I have 1 in my PC. It's good.

Soundcard is what made Sim rich. I think he is trying to cut cost, downsize, and re-focus on the products that they have a competitive advantage. But he would need more than soundcards. I wonder what his R&D boys are doing.

I hear he is a very nice man who treats his stuff very well. Maybe that's why they are soft. Perhaps it takes an a-hole to survive in this dog-eat-dog world... but he is not one. A bit sad...

Anyway, I still support him. I put $11K in his stock and I am not pulling out.

Few years back, I try to approach them for my idea but in the end, got rejected. If they accept my idea, maybe they might be still earning now. Or maybe they lost more? :think:

I have their AWE 64gold and now Xfi .. very good i must say

though they have some decent speaker while i have used from 2.1 > 5.1 > 7.1 .. my friend 5.1 logitech / 2.1 'kiplisch' was far far better and i think i will still stick mine

their mp3 are not bad . but well apple still dominate the current market.
btw did they used to my CDrom ? lol

their shares .. not vested

Few years back, I try to approach them for my idea but in the end, got rejected. If they accept my idea, maybe they might be still earning now. Or maybe they lost more? :think:

Care to share what the idea is?

Status
Not open for further replies.