creation of edge lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
which light modifiying accessory/ies would one use to create a narrow edge light eg. from the side on the hairs or side of face? inputs appreciated.

there is no one 'right answer', so it is alright to differ.

i think the term used is 'rim light'
honeycomb + barndoors

Clown said:
i think the term used is 'rim light'
honeycomb + barndoors

i supposed it is the smallest size of honeycomb.

upz for contributions. thanks.

Let me clarify what you are trying to create.

Say you have a ball. And you want the centre of the ball in relative darkness, and the edge of the ball, as seen from the front, with a rim of light. Is that right?

I am absolutley no guru is using sophisticated lighting. But I doubt that it will be easy to create such "light rims" by using barndoors etc.

But creating such rim lights is very easy. May I make a suggestion for your experimentation.

Take an object (eg a vase)and place it in a relatively dark room. Use a light bulb, WITHOUT any light modifying gadjets. Put this light bulb in front of the vase. Of course you are not going to have a rim light. Then move this bulb in one direction slowly to the side and to the back. I guarantee you that at a certain point when the bulb is at a plane behind the vase, you will have a beautiful rim light. How much rim light you want depends on how directly the bulb is behind the vase. The thinnest rim of light you can create will be when the bulb is directly behind the vase.

Have fun!

No need for expensive gadjets!

student said:
Let me clarify what you are trying to create.

Say you have a ball. And you want the centre of the ball in relative darkness, and the edge of the ball, as seen from the front, with a rim of light. Is that right?

I am absolutley no guru is using sophisticated lighting. But I doubt that it will be easy to create such "light rims" by using barndoors etc.

But creating such rim lights is very easy. May I make a suggestion for your experimentation.

Take an object (eg a vase)and place it in a relatively dark room. Use a light bulb, WITHOUT any light modifying gadjets. Put this light bulb in front of the vase. Of course you are not going to have a rim light. Then move this bulb in one direction slowly to the side and to the back. I guarantee you that at a certain point when the bulb is at a plane behind the vase, you will have a beautiful rim light. How much rim light you want depends on how directly the bulb is behind the vase. The thinnest rim of light you can create will be when the bulb is directly behind the vase.

Have fun!

No need for expensive gadjets!

thanks for your suggestion. i was thinking more of a human subject. anyway, thanks again.

strip light?

DSC_3388ps2.jpg

Are u referring to something like this photo?
For this photo, I used 3 lights.
1 light from the model front, with softbox.
1 light from the model right side, high up in the ceiling, with honeycomb.
1 light from the model left side, same height as face, with barndoor and red gel.

reachme2003 said:
thanks for your suggestion. i was thinking more of a human subject. anyway, thanks again.

I am afraid you completely missed the point I was trying to make. The example of the vase is just a suggestion so that you can do the experiment easily. You can use a human subject instead of the vase if you so wish.

The actual point I was trying to make is that rim light are formed through the postion of the light source, not any fanciful barndoors. Put a light with a barn doors almost touching each other, or a strip light, and place the light source in front of your model, and I guarantee you will not get a rim light. The example of a rim light in Astin photo is done with the light source to the left and slightly behind the model. Whether the light source is a plain bulb or any fanciful equipment is irrelevant.

Understand light and the way light works, and things become easier.

erm.......quick question......
is "honeycomb" another name for scrim or diffuser?

sometimes also called "grids"

Astin said:
DSC_3095ps.jpg

This is what I called honeycomb. I dont know got any other names or not.

student said:
I am afraid you completely missed the point I was trying to make. The example of the vase is just a suggestion so that you can do the experiment easily. You can use a human subject instead of the vase if you so wish.

The actual point I was trying to make is that rim light are formed through the postion of the light source, not any fanciful barndoors. Put a light with a barn doors almost touching each other, or a strip light, and place the light source in front of your model, and I guarantee you will not get a rim light. The example of a rim light in Astin photo is done with the light source to the left and slightly behind the model. Whether the light source is a plain bulb or any fanciful equipment is irrelevant.

Understand light and the way light works, and things become easier.

thanks again. my understanding is that the angle of the relevant light/s at the subject is crucial in the successful creation of 'rim' light/s. of course, the manner the light is controlled, eg. using a snoot or honeycomb to limit the 'throw' of the light. this is impt when one does not want the relevant light/s to create unintended lights or shadows where it is not desired.

typically, the position and angle of the such light/s may cause flare in the lens, so the use of gobos or something to block the light, is relevant too.

vince, i have not use striplights before. care to share more.

reachme2003 said:
thanks again. my understanding is that the angle of the relevant light/s at the subject is crucial in the successful creation of 'rim' light/s. of course, the manner the light is controlled, eg. using a snoot or honeycomb to limit the 'throw' of the light. this is impt when one does not want the relevant light/s to create unintended lights or shadows where it is not desired.

typically, the position and angle of the such light/s may cause flare in the lens, so the use of gobos or something to block the light, is relevant too.

We are getting somewhere.

1 Rim lights are created by placement of the light source to the side, or for more pronounced effect, behind the plane of the subject

2 It is definitely true that use of barn doors and the like can minimize "spillage". But if you place the lights carefully, the spillage is not significant. I never use gobos etc. And I have no spillage that I do not want

3 It is true that when one place the light behind the subject, there is a real risk of lens flare. I have two simple solutions. One is called a lenshood. The other is called a cardboard. Placed on a flexible arm, the cardboard can be positioned anywhere to stop flare. There are many ways of course to avoid flare, and gobos are some of these methods. And they do work. But I have never needed them. And I see no reason to use them if lens flare and spillage are my concerns.

reachme2003 said:

Sorry, do you have a sample of how does a rim light looks like?

http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/3point.html

blurblock said:
Sorry, do you have a sample of how does a rim light looks like?

http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/3point.html

off-hand, no, i do not have one to show.

Austin, your photo does not portray what i have in mind. yours is hairlight(left) and red effect light.

anyone use a reflector eg. a white board to reflect light onto the side of the face only. instead of using direct light onto the side of face?

Is it something like this one? I basically put two softboxes, to the left and right of the model. With human, you'll get long dark shadow on the face, arms, body etc. With softbox, the shadow will be softer.

If you like the effect much more, simply move the softboxes further behind the model. Depending on how much you want the flash light to spill out to the surroundings, you may need to use honeycomb or barn doors.

136852658797-lg.jpg

well, not what i am having in my mind. thanks for sharing the use of two softboxes. like your chinese seal characters.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kernel said:
Is it something like this one? I basically put two softboxes, to the left and right of the model. With human, you'll get long dark shadow on the face, arms, body etc. With softbox, the shadow will be softer.

If you like the effect much more, simply move the softboxes further behind the model. Depending on how much you want the flash light to spill out to the surroundings, you may need to use honeycomb or barn doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.