Creating photo for brochure queries

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
I'm helping my company to shoot some close up photo for printing on brochure. Should I shoot with macro lens or shooting with my prime to achieve the bokeh effect? After recce The place I'm doing the shooting i discover it's all halogen light. What are the equipment I need but I do not owned? The equipment I had is on my siggy. What filter do I need to reduce flare? I only have nikon uv filter on my macro, do not have any filter on my prime. Is a ext flash required?

Your input n advice is greatly appreciated.
VK

What is it that you are going to shoot? :think:

Bottle of wine. I'm in the wine trade. Glass bottle is a big prob as it introduce reflection

How to shoot is the last thing to take care of.

The first, and MOST IMPORTANT is the brief from the big boss, and Client (your co) approved layout and art directions for the photos from the Art Director/Designer.

It's no use you plan now without having any idea what is required.

Bottle of wine. I'm in the wine trade. Glass bottle is a big prob as it introduce reflection

Google how to shoot reflective objects and bottles.

Your main problem will be controlling reflections, where to place them and also control of light fall-off. Usually, logos and label has to be absolutely clear for product brochure shots.

Don't get lured into thinking that a store-bought light tent will cut it. It won't. If not, everyone can buy $50 or $500 light tent and become a maggie mee (overnight) commercial photographer.

Last edited:
My boss will brief me tomorrow regards to the position he's expecting. I wanted to plan my shoot ahead and get myself prepared. It's just normal brochure that is given out on regular basis so no creative director is around. It's a foc job bro... I just want to do my best with my D90. I already explain that I am relatively new and he is ok about it

Brave of you to try, and smart of you to remind your boss of your capabilities. ;)

Besides Google, also search for videos on youtube. There are a ton of tutorials there. :)

Oh, shoot without any filter, use lenshood and check if you can rent appropriate studio lighting or rent a studio.

All the best. :)

Thanks guys for the advice I'll search for lighting via google

That's quite help thanks dude