creating night scenes (those very bluish tint)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quekky

Sep 13, 2003
www.irphotography.com
i think someone asked before, but i cant find the thread. u know in lotr night scenes, their sky, clothes and even faces are very bluish in color, very very cool colors. if i'm not wrong they shot it normally, ie their raw is quite warm or normal, but they processed it till it's so night-time like. like those illuminated by moon light

i wanted to have this kind of feel, but singapore have too much fake lights liao very hard to find a place with only moon light (even if there is, the sky is too "dirty" red/orange). so no choice gotta ps ;p

i'm just wondering if anyone knows of how to create this kind of effect from normal/warm pictures. i tried searching on the google but all they gave me was how-to-night-photography or correcting cool/warm cast, but non saying how to create this kind of effect. maybe my search term was wrong :sweat:

Don’t really understand, you ask this in digital dark room thread, so you want it done in camera or post production?
Anyway, this is what I do last time, shoot trans in noon day sun, using 80A filter on lens, underexpose 2 stops. Moon light effect.

i mean post-processing. eg. i shot my friends at night, but the colors come out normal due to fact that the lights from streetlamps or flash are not blue (more warm instead). and the background is kindof normal. so thinking of process them to create the kind of moon-light colors, where everything is bluish bluish

Hmm, are you talking about something like this? This was done by playing with white balance.

DSC_0030_EXIF.jpg

Hey catchlights, long time no see. :) Got a couple more coming up but over a long stretch, hope to see you sometime again. Going shooting this weekend??

quekky, if this is really the effect you're looking at and want to do it on-camera, I think I had set my white balance to flourescent (you can try the others if it doesn't work) and shot in broad daylight.

melnjes said:
Hey catchlights, long time no see. :)........ Going shooting this weekend??
Sure, but not 4 photographers in a wedding again. :bsmilie:

Nope, businesss no good leh.

btw, have not see the wedding photo by both of you.

Hey quekky,
sorry for the OT, for post production, try use a layer with blue, play with blend mode with opacity and see how

sorry didnt get to see melnjes' post, was away for a week ;p

maybe i should say i'm trying to ps from
DSC_0869.jpg

to
image2.jpg

i tried putting a blue layer, tried most blend mode and opacity but just cant find the "formula" to do it. if i'm not wrong lotr shoots the scene at normal light, not in cool WB

quekky said:
sorry didnt get to see melnjes' post, was away for a week ;p

Sorry my habit to remove pics after a while :confused:

The sample pic I posted can still be found in my gallery under Travel -> Amoy St Singapore, the first page

melnjes said:
Sorry my habit to remove pics after a while :confused:

The sample pic I posted can still be found in my gallery under Travel -> Amoy St Singapore, the first page
oic. nope, not looking for this kind of "blue"

foxtwo said:
hey quekky, i think wat u want is called "hollywood midnight". heheh. Tungsten film + 80A filter, underexposed.

i've had the idea a long time... just no time to try out.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0093wn
http://www.cinematography.net/Pages DW/DayForNight-AdditionalShootingInformation.htm
http://www.cineshare.com/columns/techniques/dayfornight.htm
hehe, think that's the effect i want. just that i duno the term for it, no wonder google cant find anything. just that i wanna try to ps the effect out rather than setting the WB or using film

theITguy said:
The result does seems crude to me.

Well i guess that is because jopel only has the .jpg file to work with.

It should look better if you work on it from .raw or adjust white balance before taking the photo.

hmm ... just try for fun ...

DSC_0869.jpg

but i've absolutely forgot the steps :bsmilie:

Poon said:
Well i guess that is because jopel only has the .jpg file to work with.

It should look better if you work on it from .raw or adjust white balance before taking the photo.
i shot in jpg so i dun have the raw files to change the WB. also this pic is just a resize from the jpg i got from my D70, no ps done. once i get the steps correct i can create an action to "convert" all my pics to "hollywood midnight" ;p

if u look carefully at gandalf (sp), his face color is still skin-color, however everything else is a kind of blue. i tried copying the same hue and place a photo filter or layer, playing around with blending and opacity but still cant get the same effect. if i'm not wrong, lotr was shot normally, i.e. their digital film came out warm too, somehow their team is able to convert the whole clip to this tone (and many other tone effects at other scenes, which are quite nice)

quekky said:
i shot in jpg so i dun have the raw files to change the WB. also this pic is just a resize from the jpg i got from my D70, no ps done. once i get the steps correct i can create an action to "convert" all my pics to "hollywood midnight" ;p

if u look carefully at gandalf (sp), his face color is still skin-color, however everything else is a kind of blue. i tried copying the same hue and place a photo filter or layer, playing around with blending and opacity but still cant get the same effect. if i'm not wrong, lotr was shot normally, i.e. their digital film came out warm too, somehow their team is able to convert the whole clip to this tone (and many other tone effects at other scenes, which are quite nice)

but seriously don't know why you want to make that picture like LOTR atmosphere, actually doesn't fit at all :confused:

eikin said:
but seriously don't know why you want to make that picture like LOTR atmosphere, actually doesn't fit at all :confused:

Agree with eikin, the colours add to the feeling of crowdedness. Choose another picture to experiment with the blue hue lar :)

why dont you try Channel Mixer?

Status
Not open for further replies.