Creating HDRI With Qtpfsgui

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrmariano

Oct 18, 2007
Rivervale
just got crazy about HDRI and tried this free software.
CnC are very much wellcome, please be gentle coz i'm not expert about this, just want to share.

heres the d/l site http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

used 3 different EV jpegs to create 1 HDRI.

-2EV
IMG_8623.jpg

0EV
IMG_8622.jpg

+2EV
IMG_8624.jpg

just select these 3 images upon installing the software and following some instructions.

heres the resulting image
IMG_8625.jpg

look at the detailes of the wooden table and the marble stains on this image.
imho, its way better than the 0EV.

Yea.. the resulting file size of HDR is always about 3 or more times bigger than total sizes of 3 files or more..

Enjoy HDR-ing... :)

Hi engrmariano, I think the DR for the scene is not that wide to test HDR leh....What you get in you sample I think can be obtained by tone mapping your 0ev pic (RAW format)....yah, you should try landscape or outdoor pic. What do you think?

land scape is next;)

needs more massaging in photoshop - the blue in the picture for the johnson's logo and another bottle cap is too vibrant

oh, when will they produce a super duper good hdr program then can spend less time in photoshop trying to make it look normal while retaining dynamic range.. :(

however like lastboltnut has said, the dynamic range is still relatively limited. most indoor scenes cast in relatively ok ambient light will be like this. just a little play in shadows/highlights will give you almost the same result. when it comes to much more problematic scenes then the strengths and/or weaknesses of the hdr program will stand out.

this is your 0ev picture after playing with shadow/highlights in cs 2

2290362855_4392b39007_o.jpg

actually, i think from experience, the file size isn't that huge unless you save tiff. it will be bigger than normal, that's for sure.

night86mare: i saw some of your hdri, its nice.:thumbsup: but on my part, cannot process raw and potoshop at the moment coz laptop abit low power, may be when upgraded to mac(?).:sweat:

hdr_try.jpg

my feeble attempt

jopel: thanks for trying my images;) what software did you use?

Hi engrmariano

Is it straightforward and easy to use, the program?

Hi engrmariano

Is it straightforward and easy to use, the program?

not as easy as 1-2-3. may be 3-6-9.;p

just try to produce 3images with different EV then finish the image with not much adjustment. then its up to you to manipulate some adjustments of the software that you want to do with the final image. ;)

LANDSCAPE (3jpgs)

-2EV
IMG_8628a.jpg

0EV
IMG_8627a.jpg

+2EV
IMG_8629a.jpg

im not happy with the final image so i crunk up the sauration abit using irfanview
IMG_8630ab.jpg

Interesting thread. I have yet to try out the free software.

Please pardon the bad JPEG compression. Here is something that I spent like 15mins post-processing them via my 'manual' HDR method. Hope you don't mind I used your set of pics, engrmariano. :)

Just wanted to compare doing DIY HDR vs HDR merging by software. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Open for discussion.

IMG_8628a-HDR.jpg

What do you call "Manual HDR" ?

hazmee:no problem with, im also looking for someone to discuss with coz im not an expert about this, just got interested with it.;)
about the image you producesd, for me its lacks the details on the shadow part. i think you give more emphasize on the bright part(?)

amuary: i think manual HDR means creating HDRI with a single jpg or raw.;p

Ah I see... I had always thought it would be an advantage from buying a DSLR (I found bracketing painful on my fuji bridge), since you would get more information in the RAW, you would be able to create HDRs from single RAWs. As it turns out, the default processing on the D40 is so good that I rarely feel the need to post-process (ok, except a bit of lomoization lately hehe :confused:, I like the look).
Somehow, I have always considered bracketing as a kind of "hack" you use when your sensor is not good enough to capture the whole DR.

hazmee:no problem with, im also looking for someone to discuss with coz im not an expert about this, just got interested with it.;)
about the image you producesd, for me its lacks the details on the shadow part. i think you give more emphasize on the bright part(?)
Hi, if you look at your processed HDR image using the free software, shadow details and colors looks fake. There isn't any contrast and it looks flat. Those are the reasons why I avoid processing my shots in HDR software (e.g. like Photomatix) because I often get mixed results. Its almost like playing Russian roulette. To be honest, I do not really like to muck around with HDR software. I find it works best only in bright sunny days where the dynamic range exceeds what the sensor can capture.

BTW, when I mentioned manual HDR, I meant using masking layers of different exposures in Photoshop and manually adjusting them without going through the HDR software. ;)

HDR has to be used carefully, none of the shots above work with the HDR method, even as a test. You need to get out and find a location with way more dynamic range, such as:

2127836573_57e22dcc4b.jpg

2122099874_09132cfa15.jpg

2191716701_f6f2b988b7.jpg

2192504310_2d397732b6.jpg

You will be able to see a much bigger difference in your shots, and understand how to manipulate and use the software far more effectively.

jaw dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.