Creating Bokeh Without Zooming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my guess it that you want to get min DOF from your lens. yes?

some factors that affect

1. focal lenght, the greater the focal length the lesser the DOF
2. aperture, the greater the aperture number (eg. f22) the greater the DOF
3. camera to subject distance, the lesser the distance the lesser the DOF

and lastly to increase the background blur from your subject, the greater the subject to background distance the greater the background blur.

i hope that this is not too technical to understand

I have been trying to get to grips with my D90 for a few months now.

I am able to create bokeh with my D90 kit lense by zooming in and then using a wide aperture, like F5.6. How would I do it without zooming? I am not able to replicate as when I zoom. Can anyone advise?

And not to be rude, don't ask me to google since that is the most convenient answer members give to TS. I already done that and could not get an answer.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462601

some factors that affect

and lastly to increase the background blur from your subject, the greater the subject to background distance the greater the background blur.

It isn't technical at all.

About point number 2, you do mean lower aperture, higher F number right? Since the lower the F number, the higher the aperture.

Aperture is the size of the hole where light is admitted, the size of aperture (hole) is measured by f-stops. We don't term it as higher or lower aperture since it's a hole, but use the terms higher or lower f-stop, or smaller or bigger aperture. Hence your statement "...mean lower aperture, higher F number right" makes no sense. Anyway, ortega is comparing aperture/f-stop to DOF, not aperture to f-stop.

How about meeting up with the Northeast Shooters! group and exchange techniques if you do stay around the area.

Last edited:
Aperture is the size of the hole where light is admitted, the size of aperture (hole) is measured by f-stops. We don't term it as higher or lower aperture since it's a hole, but use the terms higher or lower f-stop, or smaller or bigger aperture. Hence your statement "...mean lower aperture, higher F number right" makes no sense. Anyway, ortega is comparing aperture/f-stop to DOF, not aperture to f-stop.

How about meeting up with the Northeast Shooters! group and exchange techniques if you do stay around the area.

Thanks for the clarification and I do get what you mean. Let me rephrase myself: lower aperture = smaller aperture. I think I am very clear on the relationship between aperture and DOF, this thread should be closed now.

some factors that affect

It isn't technical at all.

About point number 2, you do mean lower aperture, higher F number right? Since the lower the F number, the higher the aperture.

greater the aperture number = f22
smaller aperture number = f2.8

these are just examples only

Since the lower the F number, the higher the aperture.

There is no 'high aperture'. Either you refer to the opening (wide open or close) or the aperture number (bigger or smaller) as ortega has stated. Be precise when using these terms as to avoid confusions.

I have had a go with it.

Is it not possible to have a shallow DOF while at a focal length of 18mm? Just curious. And I did what you guys said, to stand closer to the subject, that didn't help. I find myself only being able to get a shallow DOF if I am using a larger focal length.

I have had a go with it.

Is it not possible to have a shallow DOF while at a focal length of 18mm? Just curious. And I did what you guys said, to stand closer to the subject, that didn't help. I find myself only being able to get a shallow DOF if I am using a larger focal length.
you can get shallow DOF with wider focal length, by get closer to your subject,

ALL you need is to have a very small subject enable you to get very close with wideangle lens

btw, tho you able to make your background out of focus, but since it is at a wide angle, you will still see lot of messy background in the picture.

From what I have gathered, is it safe to conclude that I can only achieve a shallow DOF without any filters by using a wide focal length?

From what I have gathered, is it safe to conclude that I can only achieve a shallow DOF without any filters by using a wide focal length?
you can get shallow DOF on a wide focal length, BUT the bokeh is TOTALLY different from what you see in a long focal length lens.

you want nice, totally blur out, smooth, textureless, creamy bokeh? best use the longest focal length lens with widest aperture, and put your subject far far away from background, get as close as you can to your subject.

I have been trying to get to grips with my D90 for a few months now.

I am able to create bokeh with my D90 kit lense by zooming in and then using a wide aperture, like F5.6. How would I do it without zooming? I am not able to replicate as when I zoom. Can anyone advise?

And not to be rude, don't ask me to google since that is the most convenient answer members give to TS. I already done that and could not get an answer.
if you could just Google "focal length and depth of field", and read some of the tutorials, it wouldn't take you very long to find the answers you are looking for.

I have had a go with it.

friend, it sounds to me like you still don't quite get it.
Your 2 posts sound contradictory to each other.

If you use a SHORT focal length (try to use standardized terms please) of approximately 18mm, your subject-camera distance needs to be MUCH less than the subject-background distance. That is to say, you have to be very close to the subject to achieve any significant blurring of the background. Catchlights' estimation of a 'pinky doll' is probably about right. Something like photographing a can drink from 40cm away, with a background at least 5m behind, is my guess. Such close focusing distance might be problematic, hence the suggestion of close-up filters.

Last edited:
If you use a SHORT focal length (try to use standardized terms please) of approximately 18mm, your subject-camera distance needs to be MUCH less than the subject-background distance. That is to say, you have to be very close to the subject to achieve any significant blurring of the background. Catchlights' estimation of a 'pinky doll' is probably about right. Something like photographing a can drink from 40cm away, with a background at least 5m behind, is my guess. Such close focusing distance might be problematic, hence the suggestion of close-up filters.
tested liao, I don't anyhow humtum when somethings that I'm not sure. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I remember this experiment: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dof2.shtml
Very clear explanation in pictures about DOF, distances and amount of bokeh.

Some of you guys say wider, some say shorter, so which is the standardized term?

Status
Not open for further replies.