Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
I was wondering if there's a possibility of some sort of professional forum that someone might be interested in setting up, specially to deal with the issues related to professional photography with Singaporeans (in Singapore and in other countries)

We have a great range of photographers and we could share information and lobangs, and perhaps also

I've learnt a lot from various bits of information shared in this forum and it's helped me to grow, and I would be glad to share more also
Hopefully with a forum where people can share things more transparently within a circle of people they can identify, we can share ways of expanding the photography market here and also help each other with contacts overseas

However such a forum should be more transparent and user signups should be with real names so that everyone knows who each person is talking to.
Also the forum should be private until signups are approved, plus user signups should be vetted through to ensure the photographer exists.

I know that it's slightly uncomfortable to share too much information with competitors esp when it comes to business but I think that the benefits of having such a forum outweigh the minuses.

I'm not sure what the costs and manpower needs are for running such a forum but it's something I thought might be worth looking into.

What do you guys think?

I think maybe PPAS or the wedding photographer association can help in such matters? Clubsnap has a different audience?

not sure if facebook is the conducive environment for a forum...possible though

not sure about PPAS...but clubsnap does have alot of professionals on it (they just don't comment mostly)

I for one hopes for a thread just for weddings photographers. Not just to showcase images but also for advises for other stuff.

WPAS did consider a forum of this nature, as Matlock said it will be a lot of work and much resources are needed. It is one of the projects that are work in progress. PPAS was I am not sure currently more focused on commercial photographers, wedding photographers were less likely to join it.

Maybe it would be a good idea to brainstorm what would be desired in such a forum ?
Below are some possibilities feel free to add on :cool:

1. confirmed identities - best there be no nicks used.

2. no attacks on persons

3. constructive criticism and advice - refrain from Yea this rocks or Nea this sucks posting if you think it rocks or sucks why ?

4. posting of images for peers to see and comment

5. posting of problem images - posting of problems to seek for advice how to solve.

6. sharing of information & resources

I suggest we can use the existing platform of ClubSnap, a close forum only access by professionals, reason being if we have a new portal, it will take very long to take off, and may not get enough members to participate, it will eventually die off because leak of activities. since CS is a well known photography portal, it will be much easy to set up and many professionals are already members here. (it can be done, how many of you know there is a area only access by female CS members only?)

this closed forum strictly for business discussions, there will be no customers or clients inside, so the members are feel free to have discussion on more sensitive issue related to business.

if we are keen to have this, please show a hand.
1. catchlights - Benjamin Loo

I suggest we can use the existing platform of ClubSnap, a close forum only access by professionals, reason being if we have a new portal, it will take very long to take off, and may not get enough members to participate, it will eventually die off because leak of activities. since CS is a well known photography portal, it will be much easy to set up and many professionals are already members here. (it can be done, how many of you know there is a area only access by female CS members only?)

this closed forum strictly for business discussions, there will be no customers or clients inside, so the members are feel free to have discussion on more sensitive issue related to business.

2. m3lv1nh0 - Melvin Ho

2. m3lv1nh0 - Melvin Ho

How about for people who look forward to become a professional in future?
Are they allowed to join?

aspiring photographers should welcome to join too, however, how are we determine the status of a professional in the first place? :)

yes... it is a too grey area, i guess it hard to determine who are the professional... :thumbsd:

I agree that it is a grey area and need a guideline and criteria. :think:

But I think using real identity instead of Nick is a very good idea..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I agree that it is a grey area and need a guideline and criteria. :think:

But I think using real identity instead of Nick is a very good idea..:thumbsup:

even w a guideline and criteria, it might nt be able to differentiate the real pro, the future pro & the fake pro .. end of the day....maybe it might end up like a 2nd CS !!...:think:

Who are the owners of clubsnap now? I raise this issue because ultimately someone's going to have full access to all the user information + threads and private messages so this is something that needs to be thought about. Also the forum should not be searchable/archived on google.

I think we need to make sure that every member is specifically identified.

I think it can be split into two sections, one for certain level members and one for aspiring professional photographers. It would be nice to be able to more frankly discuss certain topics pertaining to the commercial market without worries about privacy or clients looking in.

Also I'm open to the idea of a yearly fee to encourage a more serious participation. Not a big amount, just to cover some expenses for the upkeep.

as melvinho states, "this closed forum strictly for business discussions, there will be no customers or clients inside, so the members are feel free to have discussion on more sensitive issue related to business."

2. m3lv1nh0 - Melvin Ho
3. mattlock

even w a guideline and criteria, it might nt be able to differentiate the real pro, the future pro & the fake pro .. end of the day....maybe it might end up like a 2nd CS !!...:think:

I don't think there's a need to worry so much about it.
Guidelines:word of mouth recommendation/invitation from other professional photographers. Our Singapore commercial photographers circle is quite small so I don't think this is going to be a problem.

btw I was just looking around, I don't think starting a forum is THAT expensive. I see a lot of websites with their own forums (small companies/enthusiast websites) so I think this is possible.

It would be nice to have a short writeup + photo of each member
Yes that's abit of time/cost involved but I think it should be feasible ( maybe that's where the membership costs comes in)
It'll also help for members to read up on a person who's writing any comments/threads so they get a better idea of where the person is coming from and understanding their point of view abit better.

My 2 cent, How about a committee to determine the portfolio to be of "Professional Standard" then allow entry based on that. Title that can be used beside signature/name e.g "LPSS , fiap"
Base on this you may even be able to charge a fee to maintain the license and use it for upkeep of the new forum.

sounds like a good idea to hv a specialized forum for transparent discussions. :thumbsup:

Who are the owners of clubsnap now? I raise this issue because ultimately someone's going to have full access to all the user information + threads and private messages so this is something that needs to be thought about. Also the forum should not be searchable/archived on google.

I think we need to make sure that every member is specifically identified.

I think it can be split into two sections, one for certain level members and one for aspiring professional photographers. It would be nice to be able to more frankly discuss certain topics pertaining to the commercial market without worries about privacy or clients looking in.

Also I'm open to the idea of a yearly fee to encourage a more serious participation. Not a big amount, just to cover some expenses for the upkeep.

as melvinho states, "this closed forum strictly for business discussions, there will be no customers or clients inside, so the members are feel free to have discussion on more sensitive issue related to business."

2. m3lv1nh0 - Melvin Ho
3. mattlock
is listed in the Facebook

I support the idea of having yearly subscription too. :)

I am sorry to think otherwise though guys...

In professional level, there are not many out there that have time and the crucial thing is, what qualification does one need to be admitted? Working as a full time photographer for a company is very different from as a full time photographer who run their own business.

As a professional photographer, I don't think there is a need to single anyone out and the idea is to help the up and coming photographer to be a "responsible and ethical" professional photographer in the future.

I am sure the pressure that many pro here feel is from the "irresponsible and unethical" operator... not really feel pressure from other upcoming pro.

What I feel personally is that, most, like to "benefit" from rather than "giving" to the community of professional photography... The fact that, the more one "give", the more one will "learn" (not equal to "receive").

So the question here is, how much one will give?

Sorry to be on the other side but just don't see how it can be done...

Hart