Crappy technical support from Oly?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2002
162
0
16
Singapore
Visit site
#1
Hi,

I've got a friend who has a C300Z. he bought it 6 months ago. Recently, when he tried to use it, he found that it's faulty. Turned on and nothing happened. He then brought it to the Oly service center and the tech support guy told him that it looks like the the camera was exposed to water as the internal parts was corroded. My friend swear to me that the camera did not expose to water. I suppose probably humid surrounding has something to do with this. What surprise me is this. My friend as them to fix it but they were reluctant to fix it. They give an excuse such is even if they fix it, the problem will come back again! This excuse is unbelievable. Instead, they offer him a newer model C350Z with top up of $360. It's possible that reparing may cost more than 360. In that case, they should just tell my friend that it's not worth reparing. In any case, he should advice my friend to keep the camera in a cool and dry place.

So, can anyone give any advice? My friend is stuck here....
 

#2
Was the camera ever kept in a wet bag before? If your friend is really very sure that the camera was at any time exposed to high moisture conditions, then get it fixed under the warrenty. Check what the warrenty says ... also, get the name of the guy who attended to your friend and make sure you don't get him again the next time you head down to Olympus Service Centre.

Another cause could be battery leak ... did that happen? If so, then you have no chance to get it fixed free .....
 

Oct 6, 2002
162
0
16
Singapore
Visit site
#3
Originally posted by Retro
Was the camera ever kept in a wet bag before? If your friend is really very sure that the camera was at any time exposed to high moisture conditions, then get it fixed under the warrenty. Check what the warrenty says ... also, get the name of the guy who attended to your friend and make sure you don't get him again the next time you head down to Olympus Service Centre.

Another cause could be battery leak ... did that happen? If so, then you have no chance to get it fixed free .....
He told me that he even asked the manager and the erply is the same. Anyway, I'm prepared to doubt my friend's part of the story a little as to whether he really take care of his camera or not. I just don't understand why they tell him "even if repair, the problem will come back again"....

I will ask my friend again... Thanks...
 

ivor

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2002
1,369
0
0
SINGAPOUR
Visit site
#4
Trust me, I do believe that some time even if repair, the problem would relapse... 5 years back, 1MP DC was consider high-end model, the batt in the unit leaked, and caused the contact, and part of the components corroded. Repair bill was not cheap. Sent back to the service center several times, but the DC doesn't really work well... Wasn't that luck then, that they had 'top-up' offer...


Originally posted by beluga
I just don't understand why they tell him "even if repair, the problem will come back again"....
 

Oct 6, 2002
162
0
16
Singapore
Visit site
#5
Originally posted by ivor
Trust me, I do believe that some time even if repair, the problem would relapse... 5 years back, 1MP DC was consider high-end model, the batt in the unit leaked, and caused the contact, part of the components corroded. Sent back to the service center several times, but the DC doesn't really work well... Wasn't that luck then, that they had 'top-up' offer...
My logic is this. Once repaired, the unit should not be any different from any other units they manufactured with QC passed. If they tell me, they problem will still reoccur, does than mean all the other units will eventually have this problem? What kind of product is this?
 

ivor

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2002
1,369
0
0
SINGAPOUR
Visit site
#6
One have to understand that if one expect the repaired unit to be no diff from other unit manufactured, then it is as good as replacing the whole unit... the corroision had cause some components to be damaged, and some 'half' damaged, and service center is not manufacturing center, there is a limitation to how much that they can do. It is unlikely that they can repair the damaged unit to be as good as new... then in that case, they would not be call service center, but rather manufacturing center...

There are some components of the board where the service center can't change.


Originally posted by beluga
My logic is this. Once repaired, the unit should not be any different from any other units they manufactured with QC passed. If they tell me, they problem will still reoccur, does than mean all the other units will eventually have this problem? What kind of product is this?
 

#7
Ask the people at Olympus to elaborate on why this problem will reoccur. If it is an inherent problem, they are obliged to make the necessary fixes, but it is something else, probe more into the matter and question the QC of the product .. make some noise. Know your consumer rights. Ask your friend to do this ... his camera afterall, but you seem more 'concerned' than him :dunno:
 

SianZronG

New Member
Sep 2, 2002
1,417
0
0
Punggol
www.1stjournal.com
#8
i always had great service from the olympus service center.....

went there 3 times.... all happy smiles!

First i sent it in for service... everything went smoothly.... my C-4000z had a 2 not respsonding buttons.
second time i returned to collect it , they called mi first to ask if i wanted it to be delivered or collect myself. i wasn't sure about home develivery but it sounds good but i'm always not at home anyway so i went down myself , and i collected my cam. Buttons repaired... :)

The third time i went down i wanted to replace the cable i lost the AV cable i went to cathay and asked for the AV out cable. They said they didn't sell so i went to olympus and i asked them if they sold this cables cause i lost mine. the receptionist went in and came out with the cable and she said they will replace it for mi free... i was like wow that's good , she said it's still under warrenty...

So i guess the things they do is for a reason.... i don't think they are meanies in disgues.... ;)

and wat's this top up all about? maybe if it's a sweet deal maybe can give it a try? :)
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#10
I think corrosion is always a warranty bugger...
like my water resistant handphone kena this crap from siemens too.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom