Crappy crappy Outlook Express (Read: HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRiShnDaisy

Sep 19, 2003
Hey guys,
I'm having a really crappy time trying to align my printouts from Outlook Express. The left margin keeps getting cut off. There isn't a page setup for me to make adjustments. Have tried all paper sizes in vain. Can anyone help?

Is there also a way to migrate from Outlook Express to Outlook?

Our email system is on pac net.

there shld be a option available to migrate the documents to another mail client

outlook express and outlook using the same database file I think. because I could see my mail folders either in Express or Outlook. Only thing is Express do not have the calendar and other stuff.

You can use Outlook with PacNet, just configure POP3 server.

hwchoy said:
You can use Outlook with PacNet, just configure POP3 server.

How man, how?

TRiShnDaisy said:
Hey guys,
I'm having a really crappy time trying to align my printouts from Outlook Express. The left margin keeps getting cut off. There isn't a page setup for me to make adjustments. Have tried all paper sizes in vain. Can anyone help?

Is there also a way to migrate from Outlook Express to Outlook?

Our email system is on pac net.

Well OUTLOOK EXPRESS is pretty handy for emailing purpose but if you want to print...watch out!.. I hate it and alway crashes so I have to export it out in order to do my printing. I guess they did not care much to improve the printing format part of this "free" software.

OUTLOOK from office is a better bet.

You can migrate over to OUTLOOK quite easily with the import function. IN fact if you just install OUTLOOK(from Office XP) it would prompt to ask you if that is what you want to do. If you are presently using this same OS like win 98 or Me or XP...then it is fine. I notice problem when you try to import them from newer OS back down to earlier OS. For example, I had Windows ME crash on me...and I decided that I will install my backup emails to my other PC which was running Win 98 SE. OUTLOOK EXPRESS ver 6 was on both my ME & Win98SE PCs. Problem is I can not get my backup emails that was backup on my ME to now be imported to my 98SE's OUTLOOK EXPRESS. That is about the only real problem I face. I have already gave up on printing with OUTLOOK EXPRESS. :)

I gather that what you meant by migrating is the transferring of all your old emails to OUTLOOK XP? That would be easy using the IMPORT function you can find in the menu bar. You need to use this built-in IMPORT function in order to import the entire email list, folders..etc. There is no other way to do so...as all the emails are compressed together when you close the program.

The reason you sometime have problem with the printout is due to the fact that some of the emails you get are in HTML format and not basic TEXT format. So if the HTML code was not written to comform to a typical A4 page format ...then you have more problem trying to print it out the way you might see it on your PC.

use thunderbird better :) can shrink to fit page width.

don't really need to "migrate" between Express and Outlook what. All your stuff are stored in a file with an extension .PST which by default is in your document and settings folder. I always move it into my own folder for easy backup.

when you move to another computer or between express and outlook, just bring this file along (could be hundreds of MB since it contains ALL your mail, attachments, contacts and calendar entries). When creating your email-account (in express or outlook) point to this file instead of the default file.

Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add > Personal Folder Files

this is where you specify that old PST file you brought along. after adding your old file you can use

Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Remove

to get rid of the empty PST given by default.

This is also how you can split your stuff into multiple PST files (e.g. one for work and one for personal).

Hmm...I've tried to use the import/ export option but an error msg pops out... :cry:

TRiShnDaisy said:
Hmm...I've tried to use the import/ export option but an error msg pops out... :cry:

Just for fun...I just installed OUTLOOK from office XP into my WIN98SE PC and then from OUTLOOK XP, I click the import/export option from the menu bar.

When the pop up window prompt came up....I just select the option of import "Internet Mail and Addresses" option and when the next window pops out..I select Outlook Express 4X.,5 ( it does not have the version 6 indicated but it still worked. I had version 6 of OUTLOOK EXPRESS..but it did not seem to matter ) option and then click impot mail and address at the bottom of the same pop up window and then click next..the next window pop with regards to what do with the addresses..to allow duplicate or not..etc.. then I click "finish" and it started up cleanly and finish without a problem...

What is the error message you get? I know if you are importing from a later version of outlook express (eg version 6) emails into an older version(eg version 5) you do get that error message. Other then that one I never got an error message.

You might be using Window XP OS and has a slightly difference approach maybe..I am anti-XP so hard for me to go further if so heh...

I am not sure what the other person was stating about *.PST... maybe he knows something I don't. I have not see PST for years which was associated with Microsoft Exchange which was the old email post office protocol. Far as I know OUTLOOK EXPRESS uses *.DBX extension for each folder and found in the identities/outlook folder of windows. Has XP brought that back in the new OS?

sammy888 said:
I am not sure what the other person was stating about *.PST... maybe he knows something I don't. I have not see PST for years which was associated with Microsoft Exchange which was the old email post office protocol. Far as I know OUTLOOK EXPRESS uses *.DBX extension for each folder and found in the identities/outlook folder of windows. Has XP brought that back in the new OS?

that PST stuff has been there all these years. it is an Exchange/Express thing and has nothing to do with the OS. It is just a storage file and has nothing to do with the mail transport protocol either.

Ok, I'm in the cursed Outlook Express right? So I go to File --> Export --> Messages --> and then a pop up box appears for me to choose my Profile options. There are supposed to be Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange but the only available option is Microsoft Exchange. What now?

If I try to launch Microsoft Outlook, a pop up box says cannot cos 'a location to send and receive mail could not be found'.

for a long term solution, maybe (just maybe) consider migrating to something other than outlook.

avoid Microsoft email clients (too many viruses target them). the one by mozilla is ok and i prefer Eudora.

there other email clients usually comes with some kind of importing tool so that you can migrate your Outlook stuff to them.

troublesome, definitely. but it could be a one time effort to prevent future heartaches.

TRiShnDaisy said:
Ok, I'm in the cursed Outlook Express right? So I go to File --> Export --> Messages --> and then a pop up box appears for me to choose my Profile options. There are supposed to be Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange but the only available option is Microsoft Exchange. What now?
If I try to launch Microsoft Outlook, a pop up box says cannot cos 'a location to send and receive mail could not be found'.

What windows operating system are you using?
Are you importing fromthe same operating system to the same or later version ( e.g XP or Win2000 )
Which version of Outlook Express are you using?
Which version of Outlook are you importing to?

I am still puzzle with your situation. As for hwchoy's advice on importing from PST. I have never all this time seen any of my folders ( inbox, send, dustbin..etc folders been places in anything like a PST or with a PST extension.) The last time I deal with PST was along time back and yes it has to do with OUTLOOK as in the full office 98 version. But Outlook express only uses .dbx ( eg. inbox.dbx ) You can easily find where outlook express stash all this dbx.

Outlook keeps your email data here: C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Identities\{%clsid%}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\* Now depending on how many folder you have setup...you will find them all here.

when you have located it at the directory location showed above, you could at the same time back it up by recording it to a CD which is what I normally do and then restore them back from CD using import. This would be good before you do anything drastic.

I am sure of it. I even did a check on all my PCs and notebook with Win98 and ME and I am sure there is no *.PST files relating to outlook express. You only use PST if you are using OUTLOOK Office.

Maybe this site might help you understand things abit clearer...:

http://www.overclockinghq.com/articles/outlookbackup.php

Would like to help more but if we can have more information maybe I could. I can understand it can be a pain to solve when something like this happens.

If you try to open outlook microsoft as you mentioned in your last paragraph. What did you meant by that? You mean you click to open Outlook Office? or Express? If it is outlook office it might be that it automatically try to check for email but you have not set up the smtp and pop to direct outlook office to check for email. That was the error message maybe.

Windows XP
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Microsoft Outlook 2000

I can't find where my mails are being stored :(

I can appreciate that it's a little difficult for you to help. Guess when our consultant next comes in, I'll bug him again.

Thanks, Sammy! Merry Christmas! ;)

install thunderbird, Import your outlook / OE mails into thunderbird. Super easy.

What in the world is 'thunderbird'?
See, I can't make changes that are too drastic. Not very IT savvy in the first place, therefore can't afford boo boos.

TRiShnDaisy said:
What in the world is 'thunderbird'?
See, I can't make changes that are too drastic. Not very IT savvy in the first place, therefore can't afford boo boos.

its not difficult to use, very simple interface, just like outlook express. see post #2 for url.

Status
Not open for further replies.