Cracking noise when using home phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the mac 13

May 22, 2005
Yew Tee
Hello all,

Whenever I use my room(and sister's room) phone, there is this irritating cracking noise which just appers randomly. Recently, my whole house was affected, and I called Singtel to do some checking and found the phone switch(or something) of my house was faulty. They solved the problem.

But the thing is, this noise have been around since 3-4 years ago. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not. What could be the problem?

Many times I end up screaming to the other party when using the phone! :sweat:

I suspect it is the phone jack which has rusted?

Thanks all!

I also have this problem in my old house. We believe it is the phone jack, as shifting the phone cord(the plastic end) increases and decreases the cracking noise. Strange that only on wet days does the cracking noise is loudest.

Till now we are still enduring the problem. as we didn't need to scream to each other. :p

My house is aroung 6 years old. How old is yours?

more than 20years? Crackling sound has been around >15 years, even the Telephone serviceman cannot help.

Glad your serviceman did.

more than 20years? Crackling sound has been around >15 years, even the Telephone serviceman cannot help.

Glad your serviceman did.

Well at that time, my internet was also down. After the dude came, internet was ok and most of the lines were ok, other than my sister's and mine. :(

Yes, sometimes they are the culprits.

Is it possible that they are rusty? I remember once my father changed it because something inside was rusty and stuff. Will try that ya. Thanks! :D

Try dialing 100, then put down. It worked for me, because lines at the exchange were faulty. The crackling comes once in a while, and Singtel tells us that it's because we got a 'dirty line' or something like that.

I also had intermittent cracking sound problem on my phone line last week.
I called 1608 and the tech came down and isolated it to an unused phone line.
He said cracking sound means short circuit somewhere. After he disconnected the unused line, the cracking sound is gone. Service is free.

1. If you're using a cordless phone, try using a corded one
  2. If you are using a corded phone, plug in another one to test (be sure it is not the phone)
  3. Using a corded phone, test all lines in the house
  4. If you get the noise at every socket, it could be a loose/frayed wire at the local switch or at the entrance to your home
  5. If you get it in more than one room, check cables, particularly at the point where it splits off to different rooms
  6. If you get it only in one room, it's either a problem with the cable or the socket - check socket first

_

Status
Not open for further replies.