CPU Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil_princess

I can't switch on my CPU button...This means I cant even use my desktop (I'm using a laptop now as I type) anymore!!!! It seems like when I press the button, the button gets stuck, but it wouldnt switch on the power. :cry: :cry: Its not possible for me to remove the button, to check whether it is the inside which got stuck or something.. It was still working fine yesterday! Arrggghhh! :bigeyes:

Can anyone suggest or help me??? Who knows how to do something about it!!!?!

you should be able to remove the front cover of the tower. Depends on what kinda switch, some are attached via screws and some are glued...most of the times these problems come about because the spring inside the switch is stuck. You will need to lubricate it with some WD40 or "singer" oil. Encountered the same problem just days back. pry open the switch and sprayed some WD40 and wola - solved

alechim said:
you should be able to remove the front cover of the tower. Depends on what kinda switch, some are attached via screws and some are glued...most of the times these problems come about because the spring inside the switch is stuck. You will need to lubricate it with some WD40 or "singer" oil. Encountered the same problem just days back. pry open the switch and sprayed some WD40 and wola - solved

ASk her to use singer oil lar .... WD40 is for engineering stuff ... :bsmilie:

But then AGAIN ... still got to open the front and check wat's wrong ... :think:

ok ok let not go into a debate on what Oil is best... Haiz....

anyway, the best is get the manual out, look for the pin layout of the I/O panel. then use a screwdrive to short the connection. see f that on the PC. if cannot.. hmm.. if cannot then see how ..:p

I would do a replacement for the switch, that button connects 2 wires to the motherboard which a simple shock of it will power up the computer. Just get a shocking switch (is that what it calls?) to replace that button will do.

Bluestrike said:
ok ok let not go into a debate on what Oil is best... Haiz....

anyway, the best is get the manual out, look for the pin layout of the I/O panel. then use a screwdrive to short the connection. see f that on the PC. if cannot.. hmm.. if cannot then see how ..:p

wa lau .. type so long still see how arghh ?? :nono:

if cannot sent in for repair at SLS lor ... :sweatsm:

i think nowadays, the buttons are plastic lor, stuck must be somewhere crack or something...
and really depends on the brand of casing, or if she bought those from Dell, HP or IBM. I'd suggest she get to those whom she bought from and then just get a button replacement from them. If worse come to worse... change casing...

btw, just a question to ask... since all ATX casing now do not have a hold switch. so its press & it will bounce back... does your button spring back or just stuck there loose? if so, it might be the spring break (highly impossible unless u press more than 10k times... or your place is near the sea...) otherwise, might be your mobo dead already... if u know how to open the casing. locate the 2 pins from your switch, use a pen (with metal tip) then just touch both pins together, if no reaction, means mobo dead...

anyway, its rather technical... get someone who is a troubleshooter to help... i am just a troublemaker... ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i think nowadays, the buttons are plastic lor, stuck must be somewhere crack or something...
and really depends on the brand of casing, or if she bought those from Dell, HP or IBM. I'd suggest she get to those whom she bought from and then just get a button replacement from them. If worse come to worse... change casing...

btw, just a question to ask... since all ATX casing now do not have a hold switch. so its press & it will bounce back... does your button spring back or just stuck there loose? if so, it might be the spring break (highly impossible unless u press more than 10k times... or your place is near the sea...) otherwise, might be your mobo dead already... if u know how to open the casing. locate the 2 pins from your switch, use a pen (with metal tip) then just touch both pins together, if no reaction, means mobo dead...

anyway, its rather technical... get someone who is a troubleshooter to help... i am just a troublemaker... ;p

Errr .. you cant use a pen with metal tip to test .. you will get short circuited ... :nono:

use test pen if you have 1 .. :D

KNIGHT ONG said:
Errr .. you cant use a pen with metal tip to test .. you will get short circuited ... :nono:

use test pen if you have 1 .. :D

err... tats the motive wat... to short circuit it to see it it works...

test pen is to test for leakages...

Look like no response from lil_princess.
Is it a DIY PC or branded (Dell, HP, Compaq etc)?
If you push on the "stucked" button several time, any response?
Do you think you can "open" the casing?
If not, use whatever oil you have and put it around the button and then give the button several push. Hopefully this help.

I got the same prob too, when the button get stuck it will cause the pc to shut down.

What i did was to push/adjust the button till it pop out. After that when u want to on yr pc just lightly touch the button.

Lazy to change the button or CPU casing. :sweat:

maybe keyboard or laptop button also kena stuck ? :dunno:

the stuffs you folks talk about is too technical for her lah...
remember folks, majority of the girls are not technically incline :bsmilie:

Besides she had already said the power on button is stuck while she tried to switch on the power, but no power

alechim said:
Can I just be evil??? Just this one joke, ok?

---

Maybe she broke her nail while trying to switch it on... so now she's off to manicure ... hee :bsmilie:

espn said:
Maybe she broke her nail while trying to switch it on... so now she's off to manicure ... hee :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: Sooooooo evil...

Anyway, is it still stuck little_p?

I think she dun understand what you guys are talking about. lol.

Haha... Didnt go online, busy with visiting relatives and friends collect hongbaos and enjoying myself outside (its my sch vacation now).... how to see my thread. I never disappear... But thanks for all the suggestions.

When I saw alechim's suggestion that day, I told my dad to use Singer oil. He removed the button for me and put the oil, but no it didnt work!

When I came home yesterday, I saw that the CPU is not at home already, I thought my mum brought it to HP to repair or what. End up she called me to tell me she's in SLS, in her friend's son's friend's shop. She said that the person said that there was a power shock or something, and got virus... Trying to retrieve all my stuff in the hard disk. If really cant retrieve, have to get a new hard disk.

Mine's a HP. And yes, before this incident, the button sometimes when pressed, didnt bounce back but stuck there. DARN IT if my hard disk is a goner, cos I've got lots of my photos that are of me inside that hard disk! And I have no backup copy of it!!!

alechim said:
Thats a biased comment to say! I understand what you guys have been talking about ok... I am not called gadget girl by some of my frens for nothing.

But anyway, thanks for your suggestion you gave.. But it didnt help!!! Hope the guy at SLS can be my GOD and save my hard disk. I will be :bheart: if my photos cant be retrieved!!! :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.