CPU Fan error! Click F1 to resume

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
I was wondering if anyone else gets this and could offer advise?

I'm on an ASUS mobo, and upon searching, it appears to be quite a common problem.

Since I'm not exactly tech hardware saavy, I Googled and some of the other discussions say to choose an ignore option and let the CPU run as per normal, and some forums say replace the fan and so on.

How much would a good CPU fan cost and is it something as easily replaced as a plug and play? Or more complex? Or should I just leave it completely alone ... and if i do, is there a risk of the CPU overheating or ... ?

Thanks you for reading and any assistance offered. :)

Go buy a cpu fan for like 3 bucks and replace your spoilt fan

Thanks Dominum. :)

Is it a plug and play affair or is more complex installation involved?

I guess I'll find out when I get into the casing, but no harm trying to find out in advance.

Also, I guess I have to rip out my current fan to show to the shop for the correct model ...

Apologies if this is a really inane question for the experienced ... :embrass:

Last edited:
Thanks Dominum. :)

Is it a plug and play affair or is more complex installation involved?

I guess I'll find out when I get into the casing, but no harm trying to find out in advance.

Also, I guess I have to rip out my current fan to show to the shop for the correct model ...

Apologies if this is a really inane question for the experienced ... :embrass:
Depending on the CPU socket interface, typically you just unscrew the fan and remove the three pin cpu_fan connector. Please remember to take Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) precaution measures first and foremost especially if the computer is in a low humidity environment such as an air-conditioned room. ;)

Thanks 9V. :)

Looks like another BBB trip tomorrow! :bsmilie:

I appear to be clocking core temps between 57 - 61 deg Celcius now. Have put a small table fan facing the front grill of the case, as well as directed the AC to go full blast towards the casing. Hopefully nothing burns out till tomorrow.

You could always down clock your cpu for the time being until you get your cooler replaced. Abt a month or 2 back, i got obsessed with pushing my com cuz i realized i was having a heat problem. Was doing abt 60 deg Celsius at 2.4ghz on idle, on load it would go up to 70+ which was bad. I replaced my cpu heatsink with something more hardcore "OCZ Gladiator Max", changed the fan of the cooler and my two casing fans as well. All 12cm fans, i then overclocked till 3.6ghz. And at idle it runs around 30 - 36 degree Celsius, on load it around 60+ degree Celsius :)

You could always down clock your cpu for the time being until you get your cooler replaced. Abt a month or 2 back, i got obsessed with pushing my com cuz i realized i was having a heat problem. Was doing abt 60 deg Celsius at 2.4ghz on idle, on load it would go up to 70+ which was bad. I replaced my cpu heatsink with something more hardcore "OCZ Gladiator Max", changed the fan of the cooler and my two casing fans as well. All 12cm fans, i then overclocked till 3.6ghz. And at idle it runs around 30 - 36 degree Celsius, on load it around 60+ degree Celsius :)

You got 1.2Ghz extra? Stable or not?

You got 1.2Ghz extra? Stable or not?

Very stable... Able to run intel burn test, prime 95. Does all my video and 3d rendering just fine. When i don't need the extra power i keep it around 3.0ghz. Its a Q6600

But all that cooling came at a price... About a hundred cuz the cooler was abt $50, 3 fans came up to abt 40+, heat sync paste (don't remember how much) and i do have a full aluminium tower case. The 2 exhaust fans are so strong that its sucking air in from my side panel.

Hehe ... ok, I'm lost already.

Anyways, I opened the case and re-directed AC air to the innards, and I'm registering core temps of 46-48 deg now, which seems fairly safe to me.

My set-up has been adequate and I don't really want to alter anything, but (stupid question again) are you guys saying I could like buy a larger or more powerful CPU fan? How would I know if it's compatible, electronically or physically? Do I actually need a more powerful one? I don't, as you put it, deliberately overclock or push my system speed. I wouldn't even know how to.

As is, I'm going to ulplug my current CPU fan and take it to the computer shops and get a replacement. Would they be able to advise based on looking at my current fan alone, or do I need to provide them a whole list of models and specs?

I know these must be really bo liao questions :embrass: for you guys, and thank you for your patience. :)

Wait, chope!

Do I have to replace the entire cooler casing, or JUST the CPU fan?

Nono... you can just replace the fan of the heatsink but i don't think that comes by easily. So if i were u, i'd change the CPU Heatsink.
If your using Intel this is probably what u have
Intel%20Stock.2.jpg

Judging from your error its probably the fan not working. Replacing the fan will do. I tried removing once but i ended up breaking the fan.
So i'd recommend getting that whole piece replaced, it also means u need to apply thermal paste when u do fit a new one.
This is what i installed onto mine...
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_gladiator_max_cpu_cooler

And just so u don't get cheated when u do look for these parts, there's a shop called "PC Themes" in sim lim square, their prices are very reasonable when it comes to computer parts.

In camera terms, the stock one (above picture) is a D70 (probably worst) and the one i installed is a D700... I did replace the fan it came with and used better thermal paste which is why i could manage such a clock...

bro, and advice before you make a trip and buy the fan. Check out what processor you are using. Different processor have different fan size. eg: Core 2 duo fan not the same as P4's fan. Not to mention Intel vs AMD processor. Different. Best know what Motherboard version u using, check google and then go down to Sim Lim to buy. If not there is a possible of a wasting trip.

Do note, as for a fast RMP fan speed. It makes a different. :)

My set-up has been adequate and I don't really want to alter anything, but (stupid question again) are you guys saying I could like buy a larger or more powerful CPU fan? How would I know if it's compatible, electronically or physically? Do I actually need a more powerful one? I don't, as you put it, deliberately overclock or push my system speed. I wouldn't even know how to.
It would be useful if you have included the motherboard model number or the type of CPU socket interface.

For your case it is probably the stock heatsink and fan (HSF) from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that is being used though all heatsink along with the fan irregardless of manufacturers (Arctic Cooling, Cooler Master, Zalman yada, yada, yada) are compatible with their corresponding CPU socket interface. ;)

Last edited:
bro, and advice before you make a trip and buy the fan. Check out what processor you are using. Different processor have different fan size. eg: Core 2 duo fan not the same as P4's fan. Not to mention Intel vs AMD processor. Different. Best know what Motherboard version u using, check google and then go down to Sim Lim to buy. If not there is a possible of a wasting trip.

Do note, as for a fast RMP fan speed. It makes a different. :)

You mean RPM... You need to know your socket Size. If its an AMD charces are its an AM2, and if its an Intel, its probably a Socket 775. The i5 and i7 uses a different socket...

In camera terms, the stock one (above picture) is a D70 (probably worst) and the one i installed is a D700... I did replace the fan it came with and used better thermal paste which is why i could manage such a clock...

It's more of you getting a gem... quad-cores are difficult to overclock by that much - the more cores, the harder.
How long did you run prime95? I'd go for 8 hours min before declaring it as stable.

Dream Merchant: it's really simple to replace the heatsink-fan. just make sure you got the specs right: intel/amd, p4/c2/athon etc...

Thanks Smile, Peterpan and cks! :)

OK, I went to drive C and right clicked on properties, and under hardware, all I could see was the list of HDDs and DVD drives I have.

How do I check what mobo/CPU I have?

Worst case scenario, would it help if I take clear photos of my putter's innards after I remove the fan?

Wait, chope!

If I'm taking the current fan down to the shop, they would know which fan can fit my CPU right?

Last edited:

OK, I went to drive C and right clicked on properties, and under hardware, all I could see was the list of HDDs and DVD drives I have.

Worst case scenario, would it help if I take clear photos of my putter's innards after I remove the fan?

Wait, chope!

If I'm taking the current fan down to the shop, they would know which fan can fit my CPU right?

To get all the details of your hardware, download and run cpuz.

Wait, chope!

Run CPU-Z and post the package type under CPU here. ;)