CPL or ND filter for portrait shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guiii

Aug 20, 2007
Was thinking of getting CPL filter to stop down SS on sunny days using f1.4, at the same time can get rid of glare. Has any1 come across problems doing this? does this cause poor metering on subject or cause skin tone colour inaccuracy? shld i use ND instead?

Was thinking of getting CPL filter to stop down SS on sunny days using f1.4, at the same time can get rid of glare. Has any1 come across problems doing this? does this cause poor metering on subject or cause skin tone colour inaccuracy? shld i use ND instead?

Should not be a problem if the quality is good. Go for the Nikon one.

There should not be a problem. I do that sometimes.

Using CPL on human subject may not be adviseable as it dulls the subject. ND filter is prefered as it is neutral as its name suggest.

Using CPL on human subject may not be adviseable as it dulls the subject. ND filter is prefered as it is neutral as its name suggest.

Hi Danntbt. May I have more info on what you mean by "dulls the subject"?

i have taken a portrait shot using CPL and i found that the face is darker than usual some time ago.

Conditions of shot:
1) bright sunlight
2) pattern metering
3) white background with white clothes

i was thinking whether is it because 2 and 3 together that has caused it to be darker. Perhaps i shld use center weighted metering on the face to get a better exposure? Or is it because of the CPL? neva had a chance to experiment with it. Hope to have some pple to share on this.

The tone seems kind of flat, that's what I observed, possibly because it cuts out glare and reflection and affects the skin tone...I am sure there are some scientific explanation to this. Similarly using grad filter will cause problem if the upper body is in the darker tinted area. So possibly a full ND filter works best.....am using a Singhray vari-ND whenever I need to open up my F-stop of use a slower shutter speed. There are cheaper alternative now than Singhray at fraction of what i pay for it...but not sure about the quality.

Hmm... I see. Thanks for the input. I'll have that in mind the next time I shoot, although I don't think I have experienced what you have mentioned.

Hi Danntbt and Blurshadow,

what are the brands and types of CPL that you are using?

ND is preferred

Anyway CPL is not enough to stop down when shooting big aperture in a bright sunny day

Hi Danntbt and Blurshadow,

what are the brands and types of CPL that you are using?

Err... I use a 67mm Kenko Pro 1D CPL too...

Status
Not open for further replies.