Cpl / nd / uv

lonelyartist

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Any senior and professional photographer can give me advice?

which filter is better for sunset portrait photo?
any suggestion & experience can share? :)

Thank you very much!!

Any senior and professional photographer can give me advice?

Thank you very much!!

I'm no senior, nor a pro, but GRAD ND (get the good brands) and ND would be good. Although some CPLs may work as an ND. UV is mainly for protection and preventing flare only :)

yeah~ of course will use flash :)
but no effect for any filter if use flash?

just looking better way for portrait on sunset :)
I've no experience so wish all of you can share experience to me
and just asked a question I wish to know only

just looking better way for portrait on sunset :)
I've no experience so wish all of you can share experience to me
and just asked a question I wish to know only

it really depends on what sort of photo you want.

some people will employ the huge dr then to get a backlit effect, by deliberately blowing out the bg. you will get a very interesting washed out effect. of course, for that you won't really need to wait until sunset itself.

rimlighting is also possible,

but as others have mentioned, fill flash is also an option.

the trouble here is that you are not clear what you want. perhaps if you could provide some examples of pictures that you have seen of portraits done during sunset that appeal to you, there would be better advice.

If you're not too keen on playing around too much with fill flash, try the alternative of a reflector, which I imagine would yield a more natural result?

UV - The amount of UV radiation during sunset is very very very small. Some people still use them as 'lens condom', though. Take it off when using other filters. Stacking filters creates other problems.
CPL - Depending on the direction of the sun you could get some warming effect or change the contrast of clouds in background. But that requires that the sun is left or right of you (90 degree angle).
ND - Usually used to extend the exposure time. Not many models / people can stand still for 2min. Gradual ND could be helpful to darken a bright sky. But that requires a clear line of horizon.
Read up more about the purpose and function of the filters.

UV - The amount of UV radiation during sunset is very very very small. Some people still use them as 'lens condom', though. Take it off when using other filters. Stacking filters creates other problems.
CPL - Depending on the direction of the sun you could get some warming effect or change the contrast of clouds in background. But that requires that the sun is left or right of you (90 degree angle).
ND - Usually used to extend the exposure time. Not many models / people can stand still for 2min. Gradual ND could be helpful to darken a bright sky. But that requires a clear line of horizon.
Read up more about the purpose and function of the filters.