CPL filter

paddy27

Oct 22, 2011
Just wan to knw y my hoya cpl filter get loose whn I try to attach it to my lens?
The 1st time I attached to lens was ok n fit.but after I screw it out n trying to attach it bek to lens it bcame loose.

I wonder izzit I bought the fake one?Hw to check is it the fake one?

Becos as u turn ur cpl for polarization u have accidentally turn the filter ring instead of the polarizing ring. Just tighten it back and get used to turn only the very front ring.

Becos as u turn ur cpl for polarization u have accidentally turn the filter ring instead of the polarizing ring. Just tighten it back and get used to turn only the very front ring.
thkx for ur reply.but I'm sure I turn thr down part n I tried so many times dy but stil can't tighten it.huhuhu..

There is only one direction to screw your filter to the lens' filter threads. Make it a habit to use your CPL by turning it to the same direction so that it will never fall off/ unscrewed.

but nw my filter unable to tighten to the lens dy. anyone knw wats the problem? i had tried so many times dy

canon 18-55mm kit lens. but i try to use my another uv filter i able to turn to tight to the lens

check the thread on your filter, in might have been "chewed" by the lens' thread when you tried to over-tighten before, or mis-aligned the filter thread teeth but forced it to screw into the lens' thread.

canon 18-55mm kit lens. but i try to use my another uv filter i able to turn to tight to the lens

A (CPL) filter is not a water pipe, don't expect that you can tighten it in similar way - or you'll create some funny trouble for yourself and the lens. The filter threads are NOT meant to be screwed tightly but only to hold the small weight of a filter in place. Which means: if you turn the outer ring of the CPL in the same direction as when loosening the filter - the filter simple will become lose. So make it a habit to turn slowly and always in the same direction as when screwing on the filter.

check the thread on your filter, in might have been "chewed" by the lens' thread when you tried to over-tighten before, or mis-aligned the filter thread teeth but forced it to screw into the lens' thread.
thxk for ur reply.if tis happen is ther any way to resolve it?

paddy27 said:
thxk for ur reply.if tis happen is ther any way to resolve it?

You can try bringing it to a shop to help or you can get a more experienced friend to help... We also cannot see what's wrong and tell you what to do to solve the problem..

I suspect you're referring to the front ring of the cpl? That one can be turned even while it's been attached to the lens. Are you talking about that?

Last edited:
You can try bringing it to a shop to help or you can get a more experienced friend to help... We also cannot see what's wrong and tell you what to do to solve the problem..

I suspect you're referring to the front ring of the cpl? That one can be turned even while it's been attached to the lens. Are you talking about that?
no,i mean the filter cant tighten to the lens. i think might bcz like wat Octarine's said i mis-aligned the filter thread teeth but forced it to screw into the lens' thread. go the filter "teeth" is being chewed by lens thread.haiz...may b nid to buy new 1 again. tis 1 i just bought last week. :(

I too suspect you have mis-aligned the threads of the lens and the filter, and forcefully "screw" in it, which results in it being loose now.

If im not wrong, what u are saying now is that after u screw to the tightest point, it stills "goes" over that point, which is supposed to be the tightest.

I too suspect you have mis-aligned the threads of the lens and the filter, and forcefully "screw" in it, which results in it being loose now.

If im not wrong, what u are saying now is that after u screw to the tightest point, it stills "goes" over that point, which is supposed to be the tightest.
ya,u r rite. got any idea hw to fix it?but nw i attach it to my uv filter i ok,can b tighten.

ya,u r rite. got any idea hw to fix it?but nw i attach it to my uv filter i ok,can b tighten.

Good news is, your lens is safe.

Bad news is, you have to get a new CPL filter if it really bugs you that it cant be tighten. Otherwise, you can just save the money and just work around it.

paddy27 said:

Get a new CPL then. Bring yr lens along and ask for guidance on how to screw and use it properly

thkx for all ur opinions.
i think i just attache it wt my uv filter whn i nid to use it.
is it will bad affect if i attach 2 filters for my photo shooting?

Do you mean UV and CPL? no..do not stack them..

thkx for all ur opinions.
i think i just attache it wt my uv filter whn i nid to use it.
is it will bad affect if i attach 2 filters for my photo shooting?

you mean you can attach the CPL onto your UV filter but not directly to the lens? That's really odd!