CPL as a ND filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmEgA-aLpHa

Dec 31, 2007
Singapore
Hi...

i read this comment somewhere in the forum saying that a CPL can be used as a 1 to 2 stop ND filter... jus wondering if it is true... n if it is... den how do u actually use it that way?? n if so den might as well jus get a CPL n 4get abt the ND??? :)

thx...

A ND is just that.. a neutral density filter. It filters the light intensity without any colour cast or shift in colour. With a CPL, you may get certain colour casts and shifts.

And I'm not sure if the thread is still around, but I've experimented with a linear polariser and a CPL together, it can be used as a variable ND filter. Pretty interesting... ;)

Yeah, Hoya used to make double-polarisers for solar and industrial photography during ther film days as you can continously turn the filters till they allow virtually no light in.

a CPL can work as a 2 stop or 4ND filter, but sometimes you need more "power" so can get an ND8 (4-stop) ND filter as well... a CPL can also enhance saturation in certain situations like when there is glare... :)

thx for all the replies... so to use it as a ND u jus use it as per normal?? n i agree if u need more power... eventually u will still need a ND8... haha... but the ND n CPL stacked together seems nice... even though i won't b able to try it since i don hav a ND...

thx for all the replies... so to use it as a ND u jus use it as per normal?? n i agree if u need more power... eventually u will still need a ND8... haha... but the ND n CPL stacked together seems nice... even though i won't b able to try it since i don hav a ND...
depending on the lens (usually for the case of wide angle lenses), stacking lenses may cause your image to have what is called vignetting... YMMV :)

Status
Not open for further replies.