CPL and GND Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenium04

Mar 13, 2009
I have searched for information regarding these filters but am still unsure about the following as I am using a lens with a rotating front element.

When a CPL/GND filter is used, after focusing you need to rotate the filter to get the effect you want right? Do you rotate by loosening/tightening the filter (ie. rotate by unscrewing/screwing the filter)? Or is there an outer ring which the filter can freely rotate?

What is the difference between a ND2/4/8? I am referring to in general usage, for example if I am taking landscape pictures on bright sunny afternoons, which one should I use? I know it differs from person to person but just in general the advice you would give to a new photographer?

Thanks!

I have searched for information regarding these filters but am still unsure about the following as I am using a lens with a rotating front element.

When a CPL/GND filter is used, after focusing you need to rotate the filter to get the effect you want right? Do you rotate by loosening/tightening the filter (ie. rotate by unscrewing/screwing the filter)? Or is there an outer ring which the filter can freely rotate?

What is the difference between a ND2/4/8? I am referring to in general usage, for example if I am taking landscape pictures on bright sunny afternoons, which one should I use? I know it differs from person to person but just in general the advice you would give to a new photographer?

Thanks!

For CPLs, yes... there's an outer ring to adjust the effect of polarised light.

Likewise for ring-mounted GNDs, but my advise is to go for those rectangular or square filters a la Lee, Singh Ray, Cokin, etc

ND2 reduces exposure by 1-stops... ND4=2, ND8=3, etc

Which one to use will depend on the exposure latitude of the scene.

Hope it helps you get started.

Another related question ... how do you use CPL with lens hood? It's rather cumbersome to turn the ring with the hood ...

Cannot use CPL with lens hood for some lenses, not sure if applicable to all

Another related question ... how do you use CPL with lens hood? It's rather cumbersome to turn the ring with the hood ...

it's ok to use CPL for my d90 18-105 kit with lens hood, but normally i wont, becoz its realli troublesome to turn the ring :bsmilie:

normally i just take out the hood if i'm using CPL... it's not like i'm using it all day...

Status
Not open for further replies.