CPL and Exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyde9

Feb 17, 2009
Hi guys, wanna ask, when you use a cpl, do you tend to set your exposure slightly higher due to the cpl? because some of my pics turned out quite dark? haha it was a sunny day and in my pics it looked cloudy!

Your camera should manually adjust the required exposure. Or were you in full manual?

I tried shooting in aperture priority. so as usual just shot when the histogram displayed the exposure was spot on, but turns out the pics portrayed a cloudy sunday lol.

i have another question to add:

do you guys leave on your cpl all the time? or only attach it when you need it? like maybe a sunny day or you want a non reflective surface?

Hi guys, wanna ask, when you use a cpl, do you tend to set your exposure slightly higher due to the cpl? because some of my pics turned out quite dark? haha it was a sunny day and in my pics it looked cloudy!

The camera's meter will sense the drop in light coming through the polariser and u should work according to the meter.

( Unless .. u metered and u put on the filter and took the shot without adjusting )

Ryan

if you are using TTL metering, your camera meter will factor the compensation of the exposure, you need not to do anything.

if you are using external light meter, you need to factor 1 half ~2 third stops for the CPL filter.

For your case, one possibility is you took meter reading from the wrong areas, like your composition include too much sky, so the camera exposed the sky as mid tone.

Thanks for the input guys. In that case, what can I do to prevent the skys from turning out mid tone if I wish to capture more of the sky?

I am always amazed by the blue skies of all the experts here in clubsnap...

read this book, "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, you can find in from the National Library.

or Google, "metering blue sky", "exposure blue sky"

Status
Not open for further replies.