CP 5700 or Sony 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernLights

Dec 17, 2002
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi,

I need your advice. I am torn between buying a 5700 and 717. Some people tell me 5700 is better and yet some others Falcon, for eg tells me that 717 is better. I have tried the 717 and like it very much. I like it for it's large aperture, fast lens, good AF, AF assist and excellent resolution. I got a quote from AP at $1540 w/gst.

I have not tried CP 5700 as there is no stock at the moment. However, I have got lobang to get me a brandd new set at only $1400 instead of usual $1650. So, I am buying a more expensive camera at a lower price. Besides, I used to own a Fujifilm S602Z but sold it off. Couldn't stand the noise and plastic look. The focusing also very slow and in low light conditions, it is a major disaster. I have thus left with me, a 256 MB CF and 8 rechargeables AA. That leaves me even more tempted to get 5700 so that there will be minimum wastage.

However, I fear for 5700 as it also is sluggish at AF. I have also reservations about memory stick at only 128MB as if I go on tour, I need many shots. Besides, Sony is proprietary in everything.

Could you kindly share your experience with me regarding my doubts?

Thanks,

sohet

Hi,

I need your advice. I am torn between buying a 5700 and 717. Some people tell me 5700 is better and yet some others Falcon, for eg tells me that 717 is better. I have tried the 717 and like it very much. I like it for it's large aperture, fast lens, good AF, AF assist and excellent resolution. I got a quote from AP at $1540 w/gst.

I have not tried CP 5700 as there is no stock at the moment. However, I have got lobang to get me a brandd new set at only $1400 instead of usual $1650. So, I am buying a more expensive camera at a lower price. Besides, I used to own a Fujifilm S602Z but sold it off. Couldn't stand the noise and plastic look. The focusing also very slow and in low light conditions, it is a major disaster. I have thus left with me, a 256 MB CF and 8 rechargeables AA. That leaves me even more tempted to get 5700 so that there will be minimum wastage.

However, I fear for 5700 as it also is sluggish at AF. I have also reservations about memory stick at only 128MB as if I go on tour, I need many shots. Besides, Sony is proprietary in everything.

Could you kindly share your experience with me regarding my doubts?

Thanks,

sohet

If you sold your camera because of slow AF at low light, then you shld go to sony, but sony cannot use 1/2000 speed at greater than f5.6, and use memory stick which only 128MB someore so expensive.

For me I'll go for CP5700 although is slow in AF at tele and low light, but I still can use manual focus, I like the SLR feel that CP5700 can give me although it won't help me to take better photo, but just like the feeling. Also CP5700 has a very good lens quality. Although sony using Carl lens.

You can read review at www.dpreview.com, they give a very good testing about the camera quality and good review.

:rbounce: :rbounce: :rbounce:

get the 717....forget the 5700. focusing is too *blood vomitingly slow :D

Originally posted by sohet
Besides, I used to own a Fujifilm S602Z but sold it off. Couldn't stand the noise and plastic look. The focusing also very slow and in low light conditions, it is a major disaster.

Seriously, if you think the AF of the S602 is slow, I don't think there's any prosumer cam that will ever satisfy you... not even the F717 (which has focusing speed comparable to S602).

Also, appreciate if you don't cross post... ;)

There is no better camera. As long you are comfortable then it is ok. Advice from others can only be used as reference you are not "them". Their likes and dislikes may differ from you.

Good luck!

One more thing, do not trust those reviews too much. There is no camera that you can like totally. Flaws are inevitable. If there is a "Perfect camera" then it will certainly bring down the camera industry.

Er... if you think 602 is too plastic, you are left with only one choice on the prosumer level, the Olympus E10!! :p

Originally posted by togu
Er... if you think 602 is too plastic, you are left with only one choice on the prosumer level, the Olympus E10!! :p

arr...biased review. should know that Togu is using the E-10! ;p

Ermm...as a satisfied 717 owner and without sounding too biased, I would say go for the 717 :D

Seriously, Sony is not that proprietary in *everything*. You can get stuff like third party flash, lens hood, tripod. Only if you want stuff like the remote control and TC/WA lens you are recommended to got the Sony way.

There is a debate on the larger MS coming out next year, and alot of pple is saying that 717 will not be able to use them. Note that nothing is set in stone until the official announcement is made ( somewhere in Jan 2003) Well, I for one is crossing my fingers that the 717 would be able to take in the new MS :) You can read some tidbits about the new MS here

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pcworld/20021217/tc_pcworld/108030

Originally posted by togu

well the e10 is the full size of an SLR already...

Originally posted by Horus

arr...biased review. should know that Togu is using the E-10! ;p

* togu :kok: horus with his 1kg E10. :devil:

I think the Olympus C-5050Z digital camera is comparable with Nikon CP5700 and Sony 717. The best deal is to have everything you want in the camera, but in the real world, this is not practical, as yet I hope. Anyway, 1 more pros about Sony's, good battery life. But C-5050Z and CP5700 can use CF cards which seems to be more popular and cheaper. All three cameras however, have good solid contruction which is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.