Cp 5400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
My wife thinking of getting this camera, since now got offer by Nikon SG. Question is, is it worth getting a faster CF card or should I just get a 'normal' lower-speed CF?

Also, how does the image quality stack against, say, the venerable Canon G5?

Would like to hear from users of this camera, good or bad, before we buy. Thanks ;)

I own one of this before upgrading to a DSLR. At the current price, it is a worthy prosumer range camera if you don't mind the size as compared to the newer range offered by nikon. Images are sharp. The only downside is that it has problem when it comes to low light focusing unless you want to pay abit more for the CP8700 which can overcome this setback

Some sample taken with CP5400

DSCN2646.jpg

DSCN2640.jpg

Thanks Jer.. how about the speed when writing pics to the CF card? Was the lag when writing images to the card noticeable? This is particularly in reference to shooting RAW...

Sorry, did not manage to get to the RAW part as the updated firmware only came out recently and I've sold away long before that. However, from my understanding, the lag is very noticeable if you are talking about RAW. Anyway, I was using a IBM 1 gb MD for the camera then for taking jpg at max resolution.

GYR: Let me give you an insight on the I/O on my 5700, it's a 'pro'-sumer camera, but however it is still a DC, the I/O is severely limited by the camera.

Writing RAW on the 5700 takes approx 25-30s (IIRC). That was on a Transcend 25X and Lexar 40X. JPEG would probably give you faster writing speed as it's almost instantenous at JPEG Fine (1.5MB per 3:2 shot).

I do believe the 5400 wouldn't be able to utilise your Lexars or even the Sandisk Extreme/Ultra to the max, but it would still be usable.

Thanks guys.. wow, you mean it takes almost 1/2 a minute to write ONE RAW file onto the card?? And for the whole of that half minute, the camera is frozen, right?

If that's the case, I'd rather get the Canon G5 (or even better a mint G3). Although you'd have to ask yourself how often you will shoot RAW as compared to JPEG. The 28mm wide end of the 5400 is a selling point, compared to the 35mm of the G5.

Edit - actually after re-reading the timings, the 5400 does have a better frame rate for continuous shooting (if you're into that sort of thing)

Actually, I'm content with my 3fps on my D70... :) Just checking cause I'm not sure if my wife will ever shoot RAW or use continuous shooting mode, but its nice to have anyway :D

G5 is a good camera, but the CP5400 is at a really good price right now. Besides, if I stick to Nikon, then I can use my soon-to-come SB-800 on the CP5400 also :eek:

*ahem* soon to come SB800? Need help? Heehee :devil:

Haha, dun need help, thanks.. in fact I'm buying TWO :D Although sadly, the other one is not mine :bsmilie:

Gymrat76 said:
My wife thinking of getting this camera, since now got offer by Nikon SG. Question is, is it worth getting a faster CF card or should I just get a 'normal' lower-speed CF?

Also, how does the image quality stack against, say, the venerable Canon G5?

Would like to hear from users of this camera, good or bad, before we buy. Thanks ;)

C some samples all by 5400

Thanks for sharing, there were some very nice shots there :thumbsup:

Will probably get a 5400 next week. Can get it for $800 now, with a 256MB CF, tripod and carrier bag

Status
Not open for further replies.