Covering dog show

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbot

Mar 24, 2005
Hi,

Would like to know if anyone has covered a dog show before? Is flash photography generally allowed? :) Thanks in advance!

rebbot said:
Hi,

Would like to know if anyone has covered a dog show before? Is flash photography generally allowed? :) Thanks in advance!

no expert here but some dogs may not be too comfy with repeated flashes in front of them?

I dont think images will look that nice or natural with flash on dogs. If its an indoor show and lighting is not as bright, just use high ISO settings and a fast lens.

rebbot said:
Hi,

Usually i don't use the flash for animals photography, it may do them more harm than good.

Check with the Singapore Kennel Club. They are the ones who usually organise all the major events.

I don;t think flash is strictly forbidden, but probably discouraged.

However, you'll see a lot of idiots using direct flash, especially from compacts and P&S where they can;t bounce and fire it directly into the faces of the dogs from 1 or 2 metres away! :eek:

Generally, diffused flash should ok, especially if the strobes are high up, IMHO.

My experience? We are usually not encouraged to use flash AT ALL when taking photos in a competition area like the dog's version of a standard obstacle course, obedience competition, and all that.

The places where it's usually allowed is the beauty contest and the best costume/misc competitions. Unfortunately if you are the one with the big camera with your flash switched off, people will still look at you evilly when giving warning out when the guilty ones are the ones with their P&S cameras.

i think that it is not tat nice to use flash as you never know it might excited or irriated the dog. just 1 thing to highlight: use fast shutter speed.. i think min.. 1/125 as they are keep moving and pay attention to focusing.. so.. i think use high ISO setting and fast lens as mentioned by snowspeeder

And pls remember to deactivate the auto built in flash mode if you have not already.

I last visited the SKC show about 1 month ago. The announcer requested the public not to use flash photography. I guess it will distract the dogs, especially in the agility categories.

thanks all for ya comments so far ;) really appreciate it

try not to use flash if u are standing to near the animals,, it can hurt their eyes...

Beware, using flash on dog might produce red eyes effect on your photo which is very obvious.

If you are covering the show/demo, it is always good to ask the orgainser, try not to shoot flash direct at the dog when they are doing stunt, maybe at angles.

I did once for SKC, good experience. Also remember that if it is indoor, you need fast lens and use a higher ISO so as to freeze action else you will get all the motion blur... depend on what you want.

Just to take note, in the competition area, normally they dun allow flash photography unless you are the official photograher.

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.