covering dinner event, what equipment should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhobbit

Jul 21, 2007
i am covering an event for my former school, it would be prom night

what i would like to know is what should i get for the event.

i am using a 400D with kit lens and i think the following is needed

flash
85mm F1.8
and probably a wide angle zoom(any recommendations?)

what do you think?
advie would be appreciated, really want to make it good as its my first time shooting and presenting my works to a paying client.(not trying to imply that these equipment would make gvie me better photos!):)

thanks in advance!

You might want to tell us what place are you shooting in?
Like ballroom etc?

IMO, I go for versitility over IQ,
so primes, though fast, are out for me.

Flash yes, remember to check WB from time to time during the event

If you're renting lenses look out for these:
28-135 F3.5-F5.6 IS USM
70-200 F2.8 IS USM

IMO I pref pics taken without flash as they conserve more mood of the event...
I also cover pics for my sec school so yea..

Shoot more, Learn more! ^^

got cash get a F2.8 zoom lens.
since u are doing for paying clients kitlens u might lose some shots due to focus hunting.
group shots u will nd a external flash.

try renting the 17-55 IS if its available.. 2.8 max aperture plus IS very useful in low light..

thanks to all

i was thinking of the 16-55 F2.8L(rental) and one 420EX

prom night, so i think lighting conditions would be dim, safer to get a F2.8 as well.
but then again, is there really a need for focal lengths aboce 150? as in, i dont think the location would be too large and i can move around, so maybe 135mm should suffice in terms of longest range?

I see what you mean,
Depends on your shooting style ;)
Do your job and have fun at the same time.. =)

Shoot more, Learn more! =)

thanks to all

i was thinking of the 16-55 F2.8L(rental) and one 420EX

prom night, so i think lighting conditions would be dim, safer to get a F2.8 as well.
but then again, is there really a need for focal lengths aboce 150? as in, i dont think the location would be too large and i can move around, so maybe 135mm should suffice in terms of longest range?

rent a 17-55mm f/2.8 would be better on a cropped body. rent 430ex is better due to easy availability.

5D + 35 1.4L. and 580EX. u no need any other things.

unless you want to do candid. 85 1.8.

to be honest, i am not confidant with just primes, i once covered an event for school with a 50mm F1.8(nikon) and i wasnt too happy with what i got, sometimes i cannot get what i want in the frame.

for instance when taking a single dancer, an arm or leg will get in the way or something.
i think its safer for one zoom lense and maybe one prime and 580 ex

alright, many thanks!
the only thing i am REALLy concerned with are the low light(dim) conditions;p
budget wise, i can rent quite abit of stuff since i am piad, may not be paid much, but i would rather earn less and rent more and make sure i do the job well, its my first one after all, cannot screw up!

to be honest, i am not confidant with just primes, i once covered an event for school with a 50mm F1.8(nikon) and i wasnt too happy with what i got, sometimes i cannot get what i want in the frame.

for instance when taking a single dancer, an arm or leg will get in the way or something.
i think its safer for one zoom lense and maybe one prime and 580 ex

alright, many thanks!
the only thing i am REALLy concerned with are the low light(dim) conditions;p
budget wise, i can rent quite abit of stuff since i am piad, may not be paid much, but i would rather earn less and rent more and make sure i do the job well, its my first one after all, cannot screw up!

i agree to rent equipment if need to do a good job. 50mm is very limited to cover events..

rent lor. seriously the combi i have stated above cant go wrong one.

ah yes i forget to mention need to add the lightsphere as well.

35mm is just nice for group pictures of about 20+ people in 2 rows or can go as close as one indivdual close up shot. depends on how you use it only. get a 85mm for stage stuff. the light is going to be bad. f2.8 is not going to be of much use man!!

if this is your first "official" job i may suggest for you to find another buddy to cover with you. at least can share new ideas on the spot and wun be too bored if the event is boring. :p

if u need rental supplies do consider rockscar18. he has a couple of 5Ds and fast L primes.

10-22 wide angle with 580ex. 430ex not too powerful imo.

yeap, i have a partner shooting with me

and yes i have also approached rockscar for rental, he hasnt replied me though.
maybe its because i shoot with very little primes, there i am not too confidant with my ability to shoot with primes only, alot more comfortable with a zoom and the 16-55 range around there as my kit lens is also of the same range and i have been shooting with it most often!

thanks for you advice!:thumbsup:

Frankly, with DSLR these days, the kit lens of 350D/400D is good enough to cover any event even wedding and functions. You need not to use f/2.8 often. More offend you need f/5.6 to take better sharpness in the subject. Of course use 580EX flash with bounce will give nice image as what the eye see. Call me if you need a quick lesson.

yeap, i have a partner shooting with me

and yes i have also approached rockscar for rental, he hasnt replied me though.
maybe its because i shoot with very little primes, there i am not too confidant with my ability to shoot with primes only, alot more comfortable with a zoom and the 16-55 range around there as my kit lens is also of the same range and i have been shooting with it most often!

thanks for you advice!:thumbsup:

u can try calling him or sms him, it's much faster this way.

for events, it is much more important to frame and capture important scenes of events properly. Have gd equipment would an added advantage.

if you are doing prom. there aren't many "beautiful scenes" just make sure you get your friends inside the frame can liao. nice nice portraits. something they cannot get with their PnS they happy already.

school students won't understand what is "journalistic" style. unless you spend long time explaining. and you dun have time to explain to your friends why you are taking so long to take a flower and only like a few seconds to take their faces.

go and enjoy. you will have a lot of fun one dun worry.

many thansk to all the replies!

hmmm i have to practise taking group shots, i am afraid i will screw up in terms of focus, as in maybe just the centre people being focussed but the rest being OOF.
in this case, i suppose Aperture priority and push the aperture up would solve the problem right?:)

many thansk to all the replies!

hmmm i have to practise taking group shots, i am afraid i will screw up in terms of focus, as in maybe just the centre people being focussed but the rest being OOF.
in this case, i suppose Aperture priority and push the aperture up would solve the problem right?:)

Av mode and step up the aperture to f/8 n use flash as well. review the photo first to check the eyes of guests for closed eyes as well. or anything that dun look gd in the photos. If need to retake, pls do so. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.