Covering an event while on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaoxing

Feb 16, 2003
Bedok, Singapore
Visit site
Guys, supposed I'm covering an event which involves travelling about 14 km on the road at pace that's slow enough to take 2 hours to complete (most likely on bicycle), what gear (bags, lens, cameras) should I carry with me? What about wet-weather (drizzles) contingencies (assuming the event still carries on)? The event will take place in late December so I have time to get whatever I need.

Currently I'm considering using these stuff:

Belt-pack for carrying of lenses / miscellaneous stuff (don't have it yet)
EOS 1v (the only 1-series camera I have at the moment)
EF 70-200mm L IS USM (the only "weatherproof lens I have at the moment)
EF 24-70mm L USM (don't have it yet)
EOS 300D (the only DSLR I have at the moment, in case weather permits)
4 rolls of film, 2 1GB CF

Anyone can advice or recommend anything relevant?

you may want to provide more details if you want better advices.

things like

what kind of road? normal or highway?
where?
what time? (start to end)
size of event? (as in how many people?)
what exactly are you covering? or need to cover? purpose of the images? for who?

eikin said:
you may want to provide more details if you want better advices.

things like

what kind of road? normal or highway?
where?
what time? (start to end)
size of event? (as in how many people?)
what exactly are you covering? or need to cover? purpose of the images? for who?

Thanks for replying. I might be covering the Symbolic Move of SAJC from Malan Road Campus to Potong Pasir Campus. The route covers urban areas like Alexandra Road, Orchard Road, Bukit Timah Road, Upper Serangoon Road, etc

It lasts from 8:30am to 11:30am and it's a flag relay, involving students of the school. There should be a school flag carried by a student runner accompanied by a handful of other runners all moving at amazingly slow pace.

Just need to cover usual things like the start, the run (with some significant background landmarks), the hand-overs, the supporters along the way, and the arrival, etc. Purpose of the image: it will be used by the school and possibly for the newspapers if the school decides to use my photos.

i did a similar event last yr, the management provided a car to ferry me along the way.
my camera bag is in the car all the time.

kex said:
i did a similar event last yr, the management provided a car to ferry me along the way.
my camera bag is in the car all the time.

I thought of following the safety vehicle (a minibus) but not sure whether it will restrict my freedom of movement as I don't want the safety vehicle to slow down just to pick me up after I've got my shots.

would suggest u request them to provide a car and driver ... that way it'll be easier to keep up with them and get the shots ...

earlier this year the commonwealth games baton came to yishun jc (where i'm studying) and they had official photogs following them ... the photogs shot from inside the vehicles (mainly) when they were running (at an amazingly slow pace) with the baton ... they were .. like .. upper half of the body sticking out of the window .. and shoot ... get the idea? ...

the car would also allow you to get shots from behind em .. or w/e then catch up and get ahead easily ... =)

Get a motorbike and be the pillion. Easy to manuveur about and quick in getting shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.