Couple under Marina Bay Lights

weupzz

Sep 24, 2010
1146772367_8QxEe-XL.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, mood, any comments to improve the photo :)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would like to capture the moment and chemistry between two couples under the bright light of marina bay.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
This photo is taken at late night using tripod. ISO 200, shutter speed 1.3 Sec f3.5

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think I am still missing lots of details in composition or maybe my aperture wasn't small enough for clarity (afraid that the couple move alot as this is a candid shot)

The EXIF shows that the shutter is 1.3s and ISO was at 200. However, there is some noise seen on the top left of the frame. Was it due to the PP process? The scene seems overexposed simply because the dynamic range is too wide, if you choose to keep the details of the couple in the foreground, the lights on the buildings will be blown on the exposure. The couple is too dark and small in this case to be obviously noticable on first look. Perhaps you can practise the rules of thirds on the subject that you intend to capture the viewer's attention with. Keep shooting :)

1) couple is underexposed. to me, if you want to draw attention to the couple, shooting from their level would look nicer. also, i don't see any "chemistry" between the couple. and on a lighter note... i don't see a second couple.. did you see one there in the picture that day? :bsmilie:

2) your horizon's slightly slanted, buildings cut off all over. if you wanted to showcase the beautiful lights and the couple, it would be nicer in color, not sepia. furthermore, due to possibly my laziness... i would rather concentrate on one subject:

either 1) the beautiful lights and landscape or 2) a street shot of the couple talking while facing the nice lights.

The EXIF shows that the shutter is 1.3s and ISO was at 200. However, there is some noise seen on the top left of the frame. Was it due to the PP process? The scene seems overexposed simply because the dynamic range is too wide, if you choose to keep the details of the couple in the foreground, the lights on the buildings will be blown on the exposure. The couple is too dark and small in this case to be obviously noticable on first look. Perhaps you can practise the rules of thirds on the subject that you intend to capture the viewer's attention with. Keep shooting :)

Thanks Zion. Original image has that noise on the top left of the frame :(
I tried to crop the image to follow a bit rule of third. but the feeling is a bit different here.

Here is my revised version, appreciate your Critiques and Comments :thumbsup:

1148600648_GGHRH-L.jpg

IMHO this is a better shot, not sure what others might think. What could have been improved would be to shoot from a lower angle such that you could frame the couple against the skyscrapers nicely without needing to crop their tops away. The exposure for the couple is a better here and i think its a good moment to capture the image when the couple are looking at each other. :)

Yeah, as above, would've preferred to not crop the buildings away. The original photo has an uninteresting composition too. Couple is underexposed in the first photo.

Yes, 2nd picture is better. Composition definitely has room for improvement. As mentioned by override2zion, shooting at lower angle and not chop off the building help. Find picture is underexposed too. If the couple can sit closer would be good.

1) couple is underexposed. to me, if you want to draw attention to the couple, shooting from their level would look nicer. also, i don't see any "chemistry" between the couple. and on a lighter note... i don't see a second couple.. did you see one there in the picture that day? :bsmilie:

2) your horizon's slightly slanted, buildings cut off all over. if you wanted to showcase the beautiful lights and the couple, it would be nicer in color, not sepia. furthermore, due to possibly my laziness... i would rather concentrate on one subject:

either 1) the beautiful lights and landscape or 2) a street shot of the couple talking while facing the nice lights.

Yeah, agreed that couple is under exposed :) I was finding hard time to have a good title for this pic. I suspect they might not be couple :bsmilie: more like close friends sharing problems or something :dunno: LOL, yeah they were many couples that day but only them were sitting at the deck.
I tried to get both but I think I chose the wrong framing so it is odd :sweat:

Last edited:
IMHO this is a better shot, not sure what others might think. What could have been improved would be to shoot from a lower angle such that you could frame the couple against the skyscrapers nicely without needing to crop their tops away. The exposure for the couple is a better here and i think its a good moment to capture the image when the couple are looking at each other. :)

Thank you for the suggestion. As they were alone and I don't know the couple, I dare not to get closer to shoot at lower angle :sweat: May I ask what would you do if you were in the same situation?

2nd pic, should
take from lower angle with bldg in the back ground and couple as the theme. lower angle will reduce the wide gap of the river, bringing the couple nearer to the bldg.

This Pic has too much to see, thereby losing the interest in the couple. also light too strong at Fullerton bldg, you might want to change angle.

like the shadow behind the couple:)

Thank you for the suggestion. As they were alone and I don't know the couple, I dare not to get closer to shoot at lower angle :sweat: May I ask what would you do if you were in the same situation?

Just shoot openly or walk up, ask for permission and offer to email couple a softcopy for their participation (if you can't get pass this, your future experience will face the same results). Wether its a yes or no from couple, least you tried. Remember that pictures like this can be taken by anyone, anytime because most will give reasoning to stops at where you did. Go that extra mile, you image will soon matter.

Technical wise, you need to work on where you place your camera metering, compensate to get a balance exposure.

Just shoot openly or walk up, ask for permission and offer to email couple a softcopy for their participation (if you can't get pass this, your future experience will face the same results). Wether its a yes or no from couple, least you tried. Remember that pictures like this can be taken by anyone, anytime because most will give reasoning to stops at where you did. Go that extra mile, you image will soon matter.

Technical wise, you need to work on where you place your camera metering, compensate to get a balance exposure.

Thank you for the tips. Will certainly try that :sweatsm:

Thank you for the tips. Will certainly try that :sweatsm:

HAHA! want to know an experience i had in Japan? i did ask a couple at Kiyomizu-dera for a shot.. because i found it cute that they came in their Kimonos...they were apprehensive at first but i managed to convince them...

so i got my shot... and after my shot i realized 1 thing.. he's too old and she's like... 1/3 his age? :sweat:

no wonder the apprehension! he was scared someone might find out LOL!

I didn't even notice the couple. Lol.