Country of Manufacture?

Where is your consumer/prosumer digicam made in?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Hi, just like to do a survey on the countries of manufacture for digital cameras nowadays. If you have bought a consumer/prosumer digital camera within 2002/2003, please indicate where the camera is made in. The impetus to this survey is my realisation that digicams are gradually being manufactured out of Japan, where manpower costs are lower.

Thanks!

Sony P71 - Japan

CP5000 - Japan

Canon is shifting its production back to Japan because of better equipment and manufacturing processes.

Trust me, there is a big gap in the production capability of the Japanese plants as compared to anywhere else in the world (maybe except Korea). The Japanese workers take pride in the products they manufacture. Everywhere else, the workers are basically making a living and trying to find better work.

my 2 cts.

asking this because my two recent experiences of digicams:

Nikon CP2500 - Made in Indonesia

Canon A70 - Made in Malaysia

:(

Nikon Coolpix 5000 - Japan

2000 Sony S50 - Japan

thanks for all the inputs :)

May I state the requirements for the poll again:

Consumer/Prosumer Digicams Purchased in 2002/2003

Thanks! :D

Canon 10D - MIJ of cos!

it's ok adam...:)

it's not the post that matters, but the vote on the poll. I think it's quite warped already lor. Never mind la!

:D

Hi All,

Made in Japan...Made in China....Made in Where ever.....it seems not logical to just based on the printed statement or label on the camera as.....God knows where all these are made and all than you know they are made somewhere else send back to Japan for example and left the last process of fitting in of final part/s
and then labelled made in Japan.

So be aware of what manufacturers do nowadays......the rest is up to you luck to get a good or bad product.......Do you know some model of Mercedes...Honda... is made in JB???......

regards,
Sulhan

true sulhan,
lots of stuff are made in 3rd world countries then shipped back to the more "well-known" countries. from there they complete the final phase of assembly or do some touch-up or minor processes like packing/ labelling(eg.stick the MIJ sticker), etc.
so from this country where only the original design came from, the products are then officially shipped for sale to various other countries.

Originally posted by urban
Canon is shifting its production back to Japan because of better equipment and manufacturing processes.

Trust me, there is a big gap in the production capability of the Japanese plants as compared to anywhere else in the world (maybe except Korea). The Japanese workers take pride in the products they manufacture. Everywhere else, the workers are basically making a living and trying to find better work.

my 2 cts.

Hello Urban, i am looking at 2 cameras that has endless good reviews on them, Nikon 3100 coolpix - made in Indonesia and Canon A70 - made in malaysia. I asked the shop how about quality issues? but the shop says all parts are made in Japan but assembled outside japan. does country of origin in manufacturing and assemble really have a big effect?

Originally posted by dragius
Hello Urban, i am looking at 2 cameras that has endless good reviews on them, Nikon 3100 coolpix - made in Indonesia and Canon A70 - made in malaysia. I asked the shop how about quality issues? but the shop says all parts are made in Japan but assembled outside japan. does country of origin in manufacturing and assemble really have a big effect?

Although i have opportunities to see Japanese manufacturing facilities and workers up close, the factories I saw are not camera producers. However, I believe both Canon and Nikon are reputable companies with well-known quality attributes.

I have a S40, which I think was made in Japan. And I have no experience with the cameras you've mentioned.

i guess you can 'feel' the build quality and see whether the parts creak when you open and close the diff compartments.
www.dpreview.com is also a good source of information.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.