Countries for easy F&E

pikapig

Aug 17, 2007
My friends and I was looking for some countries that we can try out free and easy. Our budget is ard 2k for a max 10days period. Initially, our plan was Japan.

Apart from neighbouring countries n taiwan,korea.. We r hoping that there would be some other places that we never think of. So hoping de travellers here can help with some ideas.

Thanks guys..

We know Natas is coming so that would help us in our pricing if we have an idea of places to look at.

Ever considered New Zealand?
10 days sounds quite good for exploring one of the islands (north or south).
I heard there are budget flights out of KL (LCCT).
might exceed 2k though, but maybe not by too much if you keep costs down.

NZ, Oz, USA, Canada... all good...

Not sure if u can keep NZ or Japan under 2k, and I am assuming u might wanna do some self drive, and the cost of vehicle easily overshoots the budget.

Taiwan should not be difficult.

Some of the neighboring countries like Cambodia can be great. The last I went for almost a week, me and my friend spend about 1k+ each and had a dedicated tuk tuk driver all the while, and that was adding overspending on local products and restaurants. I might plan to do something similar in Myanmar nxt yr for even cheaper

Ryan

TS, you said "our budget is 2K max..."

If that is 2K per person for say a group of 4, even Australia or NZ should be do-able though scrimping and saving just to meet the budget might not be worth it.

My friends got a budget flight to Christchurch via KL's LCCT for about S$700 return. Assuming you can get a similar deal, that leaves you about $1300 x 4 pax = $5200 for accommodation + makan + transport + fuel costs. I think it's do-able... :)

Last edited:
Consider china if you speak Chinese. Lots of landscapes and cultural stuff. Lodging, food and travel expenses are cheap. 2k will last you a long way

Consider china if you speak Chinese. Lots of landscapes and cultural stuff. Lodging, food and travel expenses are cheap. 2k will last you a long way

China is another great option that I have yet to visit.

My friends and I was looking for some countries that we can try out free and easy. Our budget is ard 2k for a max 10days period. Initially, our plan was Japan.

Apart from neighbouring countries n taiwan,korea.. We r hoping that there would be some other places that we never think of. So hoping de travellers here can help with some ideas.

Thanks guys..

We just came back from a 10-day trip to Japan. We each spent 2.5k excluding the SIA promotion fare. But this is because we stayed in a 5-star hotel in Osaka for 6N. If you can tolerate the cramped size of a budget hotel, then I think 2k is doable. To save on transport I suggest you buy the 7-day Japan Rail Pass which allows you unlimited travel on JR lines including the bullet trains. Bear in mind though that everything in Japan is expensive relative to the S$. To get a decent meal you need to spend about Yen1,000, which is about S$15.50.

We just came back from a 10-day trip to Japan. We each spent 2.5k excluding the SIA promotion fare. But this is because we stayed in a 5-star hotel in Osaka for 6N. If you can tolerate the cramped size of a budget hotel, then I think 2k is doable. To save on transport I suggest you buy the 7-day Japan Rail Pass which allows you unlimited travel on JR lines including the bullet trains. Bear in mind though that everything in Japan is expensive relative to the S$. To get a decent meal you need to spend about Yen1,000, which is about S$15.50.

You can get good cheap hotels here. Most located near Railway stations:

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/index.html

2K for Japan is doable, if you are wiling to compromise. I've spent up to 8-days in Tokyo (with some outskirts trips) on <$1.5K, inclusive of airfare, accomodation, transport + food. It was the shopping that killed me. :p

Granted, I opted to walk instead of taking the trains (in cooler months) and stayed in hostels (for rest and cooking) and didn't splurge on food (I don't eat seafood and finding Halal food is an excercise itself)

But if one wants to travel cover Osaka/Tokyo/Kyoto in those 10 days, the transport cost alone will amount to much.

I just came back from 11 days Nepal trip. Total spend inclusive of airticket/taxes, visa and insurance at SGD1500.00.;p

Last edited:
North Korea aside, many countries can travel free and easy. Perhaps you can define a bit more, IE what is the interest, mode of travel, willingness to rough it out, language proficiency and etc and etc.

Here's a quote from Lonely Planet on PNG
"Travelling in PNG can be challenging. With almost no tourism infrastructure and limited information available in books and on websites, it can feel like you&#8217;re stepping into the great unknown. But this is exactly why travellers find this country so compelling. Nothing is contrived for tourists and every experience is authentic - even the main island of Bougainville is a largely DIY travel experience."

Are you looking for something like that?