Counter Question for my 300D*URGENT*


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Hi all,

How do i see the actual nos of shots taken with my 300D? I took my first pics and when i upload to my laptop, the images were stored in 758CANON and the pics' names starts from IMG_5802? How can this be? Shouldn't it start from IMG_0001?
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#4
ordinaryless said:
No i didnt do that, how do i go abt doing that?

But the thing is, if my file nos starts from IMG_5802, does that means that the camera has taken 5000++ shots before?
Is the CF card and 300D brand new from the box??

If the CF card had some pictures shot on it by some canon cameras, then the 300D will contnure the numbering from there. Eg CF already has IMG_5801 then the 300D will continue with IMG_5802.

If both are fresh from the box then likely someone has used either piece of equipment (300D or CF) before!
:confused:
 

#5
Zplus said:
Is the CF card and 300D brand new from the box??

If the CF card had some pictures shot on it by some canon cameras, then the 300D will contnure the numbering from there. Eg CF already has IMG_5801 then the 300D will continue with IMG_5802.

If both are fresh from the box then likely someone has used either piece of equipment (300D or CF) before!
:confused:

Yes! both are new!

I did a test..I inserted my old CF card and took a few pics using 300D. I uploaded onto my laptop and the pics' numbers were continued from where the the last image was stored in the old CF card.

Hence, can i come out with the conclusion that the numbers of the files actually follows the usage of the CF card, not the shutter count of the camera?

Conclusion = CF card not new? :confused:
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#6
ordinaryless said:
Yes! both are new!

I did a test..I inserted my old CF card and took a few pics using 300D. I uploaded onto my laptop and the pics' numbers were continued from where the the last image was stored in the old CF card.

Hence, can i come out with the conclusion that the numbers of the files actually follows the usage of the CF card, not the shutter count of the camera?

Conclusion = CF card not new? :confused:
If you format the card and put it back to the camera ... it will still continue where it stopped! So it could be the camera was not new too. If the CF card was sealed, then its likely that the numbering was from the camera. When you first turn it on did it prompt you to set date, time? :confused:
 

#7
Zplus said:
If you format the card and put it back to the camera ... it will still continue where it stopped! So it could be the camera was not new too. If the CF card was sealed, then its likely that the numbering was from the camera. When you first turn it on did it prompt you to set date, time? :confused:

The CF card is not sealed in the package? Neither is the 300D?

Nope, my camera didnt prompt me to set time and date, but then again i was trying the camera at the shop, hence the guy who attended to me might skip that setting of date when he passed the camera to me?
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#9
ordinaryless said:
The CF card is not sealed in the package? Neither is the 300D?

Nope, my camera didnt prompt me to set time and date, but then again i was trying the camera at the shop, hence the guy who attended to me might skip that setting of date when he passed the camera to me?
Hmmm... OK, come CF are sealed like the lexars.
The 300D box is not sealed.

Guess in that case it could be either one that was used...Quite hard to find out in that case... :think:
 

#10
I think it might have been a used before CF card :think:

But hey! shouldn't the camera store all it's images to the card's root instead of going into the folder? For my after transfering it seperates itself with the date of photo taken.

:dunno:
 

#12
nicholaslee said:
I think it might have been a used before CF card :think:

But hey! shouldn't the camera store all it's images to the card's root instead of going into the folder? For my after transfering it seperates itself with the date of photo taken.

:dunno:

For my case, the folder which it stores the pics are often in continous number as well. By right the folder no shld start from small nos, but mine starts from 700++ ? Sighz...
 

#13
nicholaslee said:
ordinaryless,you might like bring the camera to canon for a shutter count just for confirmation it's not a used set.


shouldn't u have format or deleted all the files from the CF before inserting into the camera?

Delete all the files in my CF card? hmmz..The thing is, if it's a new CF card, there shouldnt be any files to start with? isnt that suppose to be?

Yeah i would want the canon pple to check for me but..ahhh..i wont be free till the next next monday!!! arrggh..
 

#14
ordinaryless said:
For my case, the folder which it stores the pics are often in continous number as well. By right the folder no shld start from small nos, but mine starts from 700++ ? Sighz...

I don't think any dealer will ever sell a camera that have been used to shoot over 5000 shots. not to mention there will bound to be some markings/scratches found on the body.
 

#16
nicholaslee said:
I don't think any dealer will ever sell a camera that have been used to shoot over 5000 shots. not to mention there will bound to be some markings/scratches found on the body.

yeah, i guess so...lets just hope that the prob only lies in the CF card.. Haha, oh well, hopefully none of them are used products, better still. i guess i need to check with the shop tmr..

Btw, nicholas, what image nos did u say u begin with? Ya folder is the date of the shots right?
 

NiVleK

New Member
May 15, 2003
824
0
0
Jurong West
daddy.nivlek.per.sg
#17
ordinaryless said:
Delete all the files in my CF card? hmmz..The thing is, if it's a new CF card, there shouldnt be any files to start with? isnt that suppose to be?

Yeah i would want the canon pple to check for me but..ahhh..i wont be free till the next next monday!!! arrggh..
Erm, I remember that instructions on cameras normally ask you to always format a new CF card before using. :D
 

#18
ordinaryless said:
yeah, i guess so...lets just hope that the prob only lies in the CF card.. Haha, oh well, hopefully none of them are used products, better still. i guess i need to check with the shop tmr..

Btw, nicholas, what image nos did u say u begin with? Ya folder is the date of the shots right?
my started with 101<-(I don't know what this means) -1001. After many trial shots taken and deleted, today I transfered them over into my pc and their starting number is IMG_0142.

the directory looks like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas\My Documents\My Pictures\2004_06_11
 

#20
nicholaslee said:
my started with 101<-(I don't know what this means) -1001. After many trial shots taken and deleted, today I transfered them over into my pc and their starting number is IMG_0142.

the directory looks like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas\My Documents\My Pictures\2004_06_11

Ahh yes, ya folder name is not the same as mine.. At least ya file nos starts from a decently small nos.. Ahh, nvm, i will give canon or the shop a call tmr. Sorry for all the panic caused, will report the outcome duely tmr..

Niocholas, thanks ley, answered my call and replied me in cs somemore.. Haha..
Thank you kelvin, skyline and Zplus..
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom