could we use sunglass cloth to clean the mirror of Dslr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammiepie

Apr 7, 2008
hi i notice my blower cannot clean the dust on the mirror of the 400d and therefore i use the sunglass cloth and check theres no hard items on it and use to clean the mirror . will this damage it? and i notice a very very light scratch on it and bought it less than a week anything i can do with the scratch will it affect my photos? :(

hi i notice my blower cannot clean the dust on the mirror of the 400d and therefore i use the sunglass cloth and check theres no hard items on it and use to clean the mirror . will this damage it? and i notice a very very light scratch on it and bought it less than a week anything i can do with the scratch will it affect my photos? :(

After less than a week there shouldn't be any dust inside the camera.
You can do a lot. For a start: hands off from anything inside your cam as long as you don't have any decent knowledge. Read and learn before you do anything inside... or you might get a very costly lesson.

Depends on where the scratch is, but most likely it will affect your photo - general rule is, don't go beyond the camera front cap. :) Also check your warranty, see if there's anything they can do. For cleaning, best to leave it to the service centre or professionals.

no,

do not touch the mirror, the silver coating is at the front, not behind the glass.

CLEANING MIRRORS
Cleaning an SLR mirror requires special care—especially in older SLR's. The reflex mirror has a silver coating on its front surface. The silver coating reflects the light from the lens to the focusing screen. Since the silver coating is very delicate, rubbing the mirror with a dry tissue can cause scratches.
An ordinary household mirror has the silver coating on the back surface of the glass. The glass then protects the silver coating. The front-silvered mirror, although more delicate, eliminates secondary reflections—reflections from the glass surfaces as well as from the silver coating. Manufacturers later added a protective coating over the silver. The protective coating reduces the chance of damage from cleaning the mirror.
If possible, try to restrict your cleaning to blowing off the mirror with a hand blower. The mirror, sitting inside the camera, isn’t as likely to have fingerprints. If you do have to apply lens-cleaning solution, you can use the lens tissue or cotton swab. The soft Pec*Pad, however, may be the safest wipe to use. Using very little pressure, work in horizontal strokes to apply the solution..
As long as the swab or cloth is wet with the solution, there’s not much of a chance of damage. But when you dry the mirror, the danger increases. Use a new Pec*Pad or lens tissue. If you use a microweave lens cloth, make sure it's clean. Work in gentle, horizontal strokes to dry the mirror—be especially gentle with the older SLR’s. Check your work by fogging the mirror with your breath; the fog should appear uniform, indicating that there are no streaks or smudges on the mirror. Wipe off the fog using the same horizontal strokes.
Here again Eclipse™ offers a special advantage. Using Eclipse™, you can just wipe off the fingerprints or other smudges—you don't have to clean the entire mirror. And, because Eclipse dries so quickly, you don't have to wipe the mirror with a dry tissue. As mentioned earlier, it's that dry tissue—not the wet tissue—that normally causes the damage.
Mironv

HOLY ****!! :( but after i clean the surface i see no dust and no scratch. The scratch actually cause by the blower as i try to blow it and the metal accident hit the glass.

But if i already DID clean it with the new specs cloth and i took a pic and nth seems wrong and so its alright right? :(

i dont dare to do it next time :(

You can put a hello kitty sticker on your mirror it won't affect your picture quality. The mirror will flip up for the shutter to expose the image to the sensor so no worries there.
I can't say the same thing about your viewing, metering and focusing though... ;p

Hello kitty sticker, haha =P

Well you'll see a hello kitty outline in your viewfinder then, lol!

As for now maybe there's not much damage, so no cause for worry, as long as you don't stick a screwdriver in there next time.

If you can... do get yourself a Lenspen... there are different sizes and versions... there is one for CCD cleaning that should be the right size for what you need...

why do you want to clean the mirror? it hardly gets dirty, and even if there's dust unless it is a monster cockroach, you aren't going to see it through your viewfinder.

don't get too anal about cleanliness of your dslr chamber, with more cleaning there will be more error, more chance for mistake, more chance for totalling your dslr before its natural lifespan. amazingly, the sensor seems easier to clean than most of the other parts - it is less likely to move, etc with a gentle touch. the irony is that most people don't dare to clean sensor, go and fool around with all the inside parts of the chamber EXCEPT the sensor. :bsmilie:

so cut short, what should i do now? already did that cannot be reverse. Did not see any diferences with the image

ok thanks thats what i hope to hear and not by saying go service and spend again :(
i went to my shop that i bought it and they say " aiya no problem bring it back i see what i can do "

Status
Not open for further replies.