Could someone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drOick

Nov 16, 2006
Rivervale Link
www.snaphat.blogspot.com
i just bought a olympus E-500 with 2 lens one the 14-45mm and the other 40-150mm

ive got a few questions to ask,i tried doing a forum search but i couldnt find accurate answers,hope you guys can help me.

1)for my 40-150mm lens,i cant seem to focus at all, the image taken or seen thru the view finder are all blur

2)when the shutter speed is set to 1/400 ,the pictures taken is dark, almost black in fact

3)When the aperture is set to a high value, the shutter tends to open for a very long time,so which aperture to use at which time?

The questions asked might be pretty newbieish but i hope you guys could try answering.Thank you.

1) is the cam body in manual mode ??

2) thats a high shutter speed, you may to try taking shots at 1/60 perhaps (depends on the lighting conditions too)

3) shutter opens for long time means your shutter speed very slow, got nothing to do with how big the aperture is...

1) is the cam body in manual mode ??

2) thats a high shutter speed, you may to try taking shots at 1/60 perhaps (depends on the lighting conditions too)

3) shutter opens for long time means your shutter speed very slow, got nothing to do with how big the aperture is...

1)Yeah the cam body is in manual mode

2)For a higher shutter speed, should it be in darker conditions or brighter?

3)After reading some of forum threads about aperture,im still rather unsure about it.Could someone enlighten me? Like what aperture to use during certain conditions.

THANK YOU:)

time to go to the library or bookstore and pick up a few photography book.

alright. But than again i thought help could be gotten here therefore i didnt head down to the library yet.Thanks again anyway.
yes you might be able to get some help here. but getting a book is way better, it gives you better understanding of not just those few issue you mentioned.

1)for my 40-150mm lens,i cant seem to focus at all, the image taken or seen thru the view finder are all blur

failure to focus on half-pressed shutter release button
1. lens not compatible with body
2. lens setting set to manual, and manual focusing not done (likely)
3. body setting set to manual, and manual focusing not done
4. faulty camera/lens

2)when the shutter speed is set to 1/400 ,the pictures taken is dark, almost black in fact

underexposed/black picture
1. lens cap not taken out
2. spot metering at wrong position
3. EV setting set to maximum negative
4. aperture size remained small and unaltered at manual mode (likely)

3)When the aperture is set to a high value, the shutter tends to open for a very long time,so which aperture to use at which time?

this question shows you cannot get further answer from the forum because you have obviously not learn the very basic of creative photography. this portion takes time to absorb and figure out, so you must do reading, be it online or from books.

you need to know that the relationship between shutter duration & aperture size, and that depends totally on the amount of light available from your framing or any more light added, e.g. from a flash.

i suggest you do some basic reading from
1. online (search google or whatever), then
2. buy "understanding exposure" from riceball bookshop at adelphi to consolidate the idea.

i just bought a olympus E-500 with 2 lens one the 14-45mm and the other 40-150mm

ive got a few questions to ask,i tried doing a forum search but i couldnt find accurate answers,hope you guys can help me.

The questions asked might be pretty newbieish but i hope you guys could try answering.Thank you.

1) check whether your camera is in autofocus or some other mode.

2) When the light condition is not very bright (usually indoor or night) and you set your shutter speed to 1/400, your camera image sensor would probably not able to get enough light exposure captured even after opening your camera's aperture to the widest possible (assuming it's in shutter priority mode now). That's why the picture turns out very dark/black. You may need to pump up the ISO or open your apeture bigger (i.e. smaller F number) if the aperture is not already at the biggest.

3) The bigger the aperture F value is, the smaller the aperture. The smaller the aperture, the longer duration (i.e. shutter speed) the shutter needs to remain open for the camera's image sensor to get enough exposure. It's like pouring water into a tank. If 10 litres of water is needed in the tank (to get enough exposure) and you're pouring water into the tank through a funnel, it will take twice as long if you use a funnel with a hole that is 1/2 in size. So if the correct exposure is F/5.6 and 1 seconds, then it would need exposure of 2 seconds if F/8 is used (F/8 is half the aperture size of F/5.6) and 4 seconds if F/11 is used (F/11 is half the aperture size of F/8 and 1/4 the aperture size of F/5.6)

For a start, you really need to learn about the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO and about getting the right exposure.

Useful starter : http://www.photoxels.com/digital-photography-tutorials.html

min focus distant 1.5m

y not set to S mode n see how the outcome?

small opening, cam will set longer exposure..that is nor. if u set to auto mode..

btw, go to oly sg web and sign up the basic use of e500...it help

Status
Not open for further replies.