Could not decide between Canon Ixus 40 and Nikon 5100 or 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ling

Apr 13, 2002
Visit site
I have a budget of S$500 +/-, could not decide between Canon Ixus 40 or Nikon 5100 or Nikon 5200. I am hoping to get something small

Canon Ixus 40
- Slim
- Large LCD screen

Nikon 5100 and 5200
- I couldn't find the difference between the two except 5100 runs on AA batteries, can anyone enlighten me?
- I tested 5100 and have to say the feel on the palm is good especially with the right hand grip
- Size is okay
- Small LCD Screen

Appreciate if someone can help to advise on this. Thanks!

Get ixus 40 if you like its compact size and the 2" LCD. Excellent P&S cam. Got one a few days back and have been enjoying every minute with it.

Not sure about Nikon 5100 though. Didn't consider Nikon as I didn't have good experience with my Nikon 775.

hmm, small size is good, but i think choosing a large lcd screen would have its pros and cons.

before you make up ur decision on which "big lcd screen" camera to buy, be sure to check out the resolution of the screen. if a 1.5 inch screen and a 2.5 inch screen both have the same resolution of 118000 pixels, this means that the 2.5 inch screen has a very poor resolution.

another thing is that big screen consumes a lot of battery power. (unless u're talking about the new casio model, which is well-known for gd battery life).

just my opinion, gd luck choosing ur perfect cam. :)

Personally, I hate small LCD p&s digital camera. The Ixus 40's 2" LCD is very good, give you good view when framing your photo, somemore the screen is
anti-reflective coating. Just buy an extra third party battery, it costs you around S$25-30 only.

Well,sory to disagree to all of u....
Well i strongly recomand u de Canon IXUS i5... but this will cost u $620 but i knoe your budget is $500 ++ but if u wana to learn fast bout dis digi cam i give u 2days or 3days...........and u will be happy for yourself..
5 Megapixels
6.5x Digital Zoom
Powered by DIGIC
9-POINT AiAF
Movie Mode
Changeable 12-colour clock display
LCD Sreen 1.5
SD-CARD

Panzer said:
Get ixus 40 if you like its compact size and the 2" LCD. Excellent P&S cam. Got one a few days back and have been enjoying every minute with it.

Not sure about Nikon 5100 though. Didn't consider Nikon as I didn't have good experience with my Nikon 775.

I was attracted by the 2" LCD screen, the 1.5" is a no-no fight. I dun hv very stable hands so I am concern if I will end up with a lot of blur pixs. I like the way I can hold Nikon 5200.

Can you please share where you get it from and the price? Did you collect the freebies on the spot?

Diet said:
Well i strongly recomand u de Canon IXUS i5... but this will cost u $620 but i knoe your budget is $500 ++ but if u wana to learn fast bout dis digi cam i give u 2days or 3days...........and u will be happy for yourself..
5 Megapixels
6.5x Digital Zoom
Powered by DIGIC
9-POINT AiAF
Movie Mode
Changeable 12-colour clock display
LCD Sreen 1.5
SD-CARD

the ixus i5 may have a sharper image cos its fixed lens but most ppl buy a digital camera for its convience, so no optical zoom, aka no zoom, means no go.

Hi,
When it comes to compact cam's Nikon has it over the rest.
Go for the 5200 :thumbsup:

Hi forgot to mention,

The Nikon 5200:

"Featuring aspherical elements and an ED glass element, it achieves a significant reduction in aberration."

From the website

Belle&Sebastain said:
the ixus i5 may have a sharper image cos its fixed lens but most ppl buy a digital camera for its convience, so no optical zoom, aka no zoom, means no go.

Agree with u, no optical zoom no point.

Ling said:
Agree with u, no optical zoom no point.

No optical zoom. :thumbsd:

Panzer said:

Welcome to the Canon family. :bsmilie:

Panzer said:

u find ixus 40 that good?
Coz i find the camera very 'shakey'.
U have such problem esp when taking indoor shots without flash and tripod?

Diet said:
5 Megapixels
6.5x Digital Zoom