Could I have sample scans thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenx

Feb 1, 2002
L2TPYSG
Visit site
Sigh... it's the film scanner dilemma time of the month again...
could you guys with them kindly post or pm me:

FULL REZ SCANS untouched-up for
coolscan IV
scanwit 2740s

dun have to scan for me... just some archive old shot can liao.. hope it's in nice shot though ;)

I am using the earlier model ScanWit 2720s. It is the same as the 2740s except that it does not have DigitalICE built in.

Here are a few samples, scanned with a program called VueScan, and processed in PS for levels and colour adjustment, before reducing to web-viewing size. There may have been some level of sharpening in PS also but I am not sure how much:

abp.jpg

aab.sized.jpg

acz.jpg

This is a crop from the above picture:
ada.jpg

wow thanks!
the last pic got colour noise is it due to film or scanner? heh at least can see it's a cp 995

The film I used was Kodak Gold 200. I believe ISO100 film will provide less noise. Furthermore, that shot was taken by my wife, who has probably focused on the patch of flowers in the middle of the frame, as she is not really familiar with the idea of focus lock.

The pictures are scanned at 2400dpi, resulting in 3700X2500 pixel images. The pictures posted here are roughly 720 pixels wide.

I just realised you were looking for full-resolution untouched scans. Let me go find a few and post again later.

Here's another picture:

This the the reduced-size full view:

aap.jpg

And here are 4 different sections at 100%:

adb.jpg

adc.jpg

add.jpg

ade.jpg

Roy

What I realised was that the scanning software also makes a difference in the quality of the scanned image.

When I used the MiraPhoto photo driver that came with the scanner, the scanned images are pretty noisy. When I switched to Vuescan, the images are much better, even when I am using single pass scanning.

Vuescan allows the user to set multi-pass scanning, and it averages each individual scan to give the final image. That way, the noise (not the noise captured on film, but noise introduced by the scanning hardware) which is random in nature gets averaged out of the image.

- Roy

hi again... thx for letting me eat ur brains hehe..
so the above shots all multiscanned?
but quite slow right?

Cannot remember liao.

The most I do is dual scan anyway...

hi again... thx for letting me eat ur brains hehe..

Reminds me of Hannibal....:devil:

The LA convention centre shot was taken with Nikon F801s, 24-50mm AF, Kodak Gold 200.

There is a real fan of the Acer scanner, Pete Andrews, who set up a website to discuss this scanner. I think his review has influenced my choice alot (besides the fact that I got the 2720 from ebay brabd new for only US$240). You can take a look at his website, which also has a lot of scanning tips:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/

roy, the scanner u using is flatbed or dedicated film scanner? have u scan provia before? do u need to do color correction?

thanks,

Originally posted by ninelives
roy, the scanner u using is flatbed or dedicated film scanner? have u scan provia before? do u need to do color correction?

thanks,

Hi 9L,

The scanner I use is a dedicated film scanner, Acer ScanWitt 2720s. I have not scanned Provia before. I have scanned mostly Kodak and Fuji film, as well as some very old B&W film taken by my dad, and the Vuescan software I use has colour correction profiles for most of the common films, and it does a good job at getting satisfactory colours. Otherwise, PS is readily available for me to make the finishing touches.

By the way, the Vuescan software can be downloaded from here:

www.hamrick.com

The demo version will add cross-hairs (not sure what to call it) in the scanned images to make them useless, but you can generally evaluate the image quality. If you decide to purchase it, then you can register on the website and you will get a serial number by email. The cost is US$40. Once the srial number is entered, the program will become fully functional.

here is a slide scanned with nikon coolscanIV at max resolution with ICE turned on.

original pic resized to 500px
test1.jpg

native.

test2.jpg

test3.jpg

resize to 500px
test4.jpg

I notice that on scanned images, the sky is always noisy, eg. it isn't clean.

I'd like to know why. :)

Originally posted by verkz
here is a slide scanned with nikon coolscanIV at max resolution with ICE turned on.
resize to 500px
test4.jpg

500px is the full frame? quite blur eh? esp this one...

Originally posted by Zoomer
I notice that on scanned images, the sky is always noisy, eg. it isn't clean.

I'd like to know why. :)

they call it :
1. grain aliasing for <4000dpi , meaning the grain visibility is about 50% to the CCD so like tikam-tikam noise... so u have clumps of "fake grain".

2. scanner noise: in poor or medium range scanners, higher.

3. film grain: after all you are getting a 9mp (2700dpi) to 16mp++ from a 35mm frame...

the ICE3 suite's GEM software tries to median this grain out, but I got no personal experience..
hard to compare against something like CMOS sensor, which is clean at low ISO...

Originally posted by denizenx

they call it :
1. grain aliasing for <4000dpi , meaning the grain visibility is about 50% to the CCD so like tikam-tikam noise... so u have clumps of "fake grain".

2. scanner noise: in poor or medium range scanners, higher.

3. film grain: after all you are getting a 9mp (2700dpi) to 16mp++ from a 35mm frame...

the ICE3 suite's GEM software tries to median this grain out, but I got no personal experience..
hard to compare against something like CMOS sensor, which is clean at low ISO...

Film grain is so big??

Learnt something new today. :)

well u mean u cannot see the grain in 4R prints? even superia 200 is visible... looks like epson printer ;p

Originally posted by denizenx

500px is the full frame? quite blur eh? esp this one...
that is a cropped and resized frame taken from the first pic.

wah then it's quite good! sigh too bad coolscan is $400 over budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.