Cost price of a photographer ( Gig )

Status
Not open for further replies.

fintan

Oct 16, 2004
West
Hello does anyone know how much a photographer should charge a local band for a gig?

can share more infor?

what are u shooting? how long? what are the deliverables?

depends on how good you are with your craft. for starters, shoot for free or follow a sifu to shoot. learning and exposure is more important than money.

i would offer to shoot for free too :D then let them decide the ang bao after showing them your shots.

Support local bands!

maybe 1 hr...

wah shoot for free ah...i am just 15 years old...i buy ticket maybe $10....

offer to do it in return for your costs. Most people would gladly pay you $10 + print money since that doesn't add up to a lot. If they want enlargements, they can arrange somehting else with you. Its a good way to start.

service for free + costs.

Cost = transport and materials needed.
Service is your time and equipment.

szekiat said:
offer to do it in return for your costs. Most people would gladly pay you $10 + print money since that doesn't add up to a lot. If they want enlargements, they can arrange somehting else with you. Its a good way to start.

what do you mean by print money.

If they (the band or organizer) ask you to shoot, ask for a press pass or an arrangement that you have free access to the venue.

You may not charge them for you service at this time, but the band or organizer should reimburse all the costs (prints, film or CD, batteries, food and drinks, taxi fare etc…)

I would suggest you to ask for the credit if the band use any of you photos for publicity purpose. (a small print state photograph by fintan), and also the rights for you to use any of the photos for your portfolio.

Hope this help. :)

bangkuangz said:
Cost that you pay to print the photo ...

who knows they will ask u to burn everything into a CD then they will print themselves :dunno:

Clown said:
depends on how good you are with your craft. for starters, shoot for free or follow a sifu to shoot. learning and exposure is more important than money.
Learning and exposure is one thing, but remember there are fellow photographers who have to shoot for their living too. Unless the event is non-profit (eg. charity works), I wont shoot for free , esp when you have the responsibility & promise to deliver acceptable results.

Wai said:
who knows they will ask u to burn everything into a CD then they will print themselves :dunno:

Learning and exposure is one thing, but remember there are fellow photographers who have to shoot for their living too. Unless the event is non-profit (eg. charity works), I wont shoot for free , esp when you have the responsibility & promise to deliver acceptable results.

if they (the band) want to do this then nvm lor. if wanna have the exposure and experience, i think cannot be ngeow about money mah..

for this case i think thread starter wants to explore into this area so i assume he's a beginner in terms of event photography. and i dont think he's trying to undercut the pros who're doing it for money.

depends on what the clients want also. if they want pro shots, of course they wont allow an unproven fella to do the job rite? they'll pay to get good results. i feel that we shouldnt use the mindset of assuming all the newcomers to the business are trying to undercut the pros.

since the thread starter was asking how much to charge, i believe his client should have some budget for the shoot. But if you ask him to offer his client free service, who will not want it right?

For beginners, I will suggest them to practise during those open-to-public events out there, rather than take up a job that they may not have confident to deliver, the point is not whether to charge or not to charge.

I used to have friends or even strangers asking me to shoot their wedding for them last time, but in the end I recommended them some of the freelance/full time photographers here who have experience and confident to take up the job.

but asking how much he should charge should already suggest that he's not confident in this field mah.. if he got experience liao i think he should know the market rate too.
i believe that if we (as photographers) charge for our service, we need to be confident that we're able to deliver good results. so if the confidence is not there, better shoot free or practice more, learn more.

Whoever the client is, if it is not willing to pay a fare value, or has no budget for whatever reason (Charity or non profit organization) for a photography service, is up to any individual to accept the assignment.

A professional photographer may not accept this kind of offer, as it is not profitable. But also cannot stop others for taking up the offer.

For an example, let say A shoot very well and is a professional, and if B, can provide same kind quality or even better than A, but only charging a faction of A’s rate, this is call undercutting.

In this case, if fintan take the assignment, who is he going to undercut? :think:

Haha...I always believe in letting the invisible hands of demand and supply dictate market prices.

fintan, if you feel that you don't wish to charge a price you think is too high for your skill, then don't, lest you feel guilty or can't deliver in the end. Conversely, if you feel that your skill is capable of fetching a certain price and the band cannot afford you, then I suggest that you recommend them someone else who will take up the job at that price.

I do freelance jobs (although not photography) and I stick to that principle myself. I'm just starting out so I tend to charge a bit lower, also due to the fact I'm building some goodwill.

Most importantly, you should have a clear conscience at the end of the day. Charge a price you are comfortable with.

catchlights said:
Btw, experience in shooting, deliver results and experience in how much should charge are two different issues. :)
2 issues or 3 issues? i cant understand your english..

catchlights said:
2 only, yes, my english very bad, so how? :dunno:
so... shoot more! hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.