cost of owning a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahbeng

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
may i know what are the additional costs for owning a car in singapore?

may i know what are the additional costs for owning a car in singapore?

Additional costs like? To me, loan interest, parking, petrol, road tax, ERP are actually part of the cost of owning a car. ;p

parking? car washing? accidents?
budget in 1K a month for cheap family sedan. Should be just enough to cover normal usage.

still need to have provisions for minor repairs and maintenance like for filters, lubricants, etc...

if got other ppl drive, still must have extra money to pay for excess during accidents...

Monthly car loan installment
Yearly or half yearly road tax
Yearly insurance
Monthly seasons parking
Parking coupons
Petrol
Modification
ERP charges
Summons
Purchase of cleaning paraphernellia for washing/cleaning/waxing car or pay $$ to wash at petrol kiosk
Quarterly servicing at workshop
Minor repairs
ETC....

Petrol
Maintenace
Repair
Parking
ERP
Insurance
Road Tax
Body kit
Exhuast
Cold air intake
Bucket seats
17" sports rims
Racing tyres
Solar film
Car wash
Car grooming
GPS navigation system
ICE

BC :cool:

My colleagues who drive, toldme they spend close to $1,000 more or less per month. i prefer to spend that same money on holidays, gadgets, meals at restaurants etc. Some time back (not now) the COE dropped till very low, I still didnt buy; COE cheap doesnt mean owning car cheap.

Funny thing is, my friends who drive, will not spend $1,000 on gadgets & stinge on holidays, when they are already spending the same amount of "threshold".

car = stress :bsmilie:

if you are not careful.

It will cost your life also, if almost cost my friend's life, lifetime of treatment needed.

The cost are higher in this case, social problem arise.

Thats one of the cost in owning a car.

Are you ready for it?

Benefits of car ownership – and the opportunity costs of going without a car, recent studies shown that taking taxi all the time can proof to be even costlier ;)

Actually if you know your pattern of travel, buying a weekend car can save you a lot of money. A few of my friends who slog long hours but make decent money find that on weekdays, it just doesn't make sense to park their cars the whole day in the CBD. After doing their sums, quite a number have opted to buy or convert to the a weekend plate.

Driving a van may be another idea. I get about 850km on a tankful of diesel, which is definitely cheaper than petrol. Now can carry passengers too... and 70kmh speed limit isn't so bad when traffic usually slows to a crawl on peak hours.

Benefits of car ownership – and the opportunity costs of going without a car, recent studies shown that taking taxi all the time can proof to be even costlier ;)

I don't think that there are many that would take taxis all the time till the cost is higher than actually owning a car? :think:

I don't think that there are many that would take taxis all the time till the cost is higher than actually owning a car? :think:

If you followed the same usage pattern for a car and applied it to taxi fares then you might be ringing up bills for driving down to the nearby neighbourhood supermarket to buy some potato chips, in addition to normal longer distance trips. For supper. For going to a post office to pay bills. Etc.

How often you use it? Only on weekends?

If yes, then it could be much cheaper and hassle free to sign up for car sharing scheme..

You need not worry about installment, petrol price, maintence, insurance, road tax, car wash, etc....just pay as you drive.

cheers

If yes, then it could be much cheaper and hassle free to sign up for car sharing scheme..

You need not worry about installment, petrol price, maintence, insurance, road tax, car wash, etc....just pay as you drive.

cheers

Any good car sharing scheme around?

I have recently thought of buying a car myself and of course, i have done my cal...

All in... u need to set aside about $1200 per mth to feed ur car (tat amount inculde year end rd tax and insurance).

In the end, i decided to hold on to the decision as i will have not any saving left if i pay tat amount monthly... haha...

cheers

Yea... tell us where to find such car sharing scheme...

Status
Not open for further replies.