Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaury

Sep 6, 2007
Hi everybody,

A friend of mine got an internship in Singapore this summer as a research assistant, but she couldn't get a scholarship, and she is wondering if she can afford to live there. She can spend about 1400 SGD a month, is that going to be enough to cover for her accomodation, food, transportation etc ?

I can't really figure out the cost of life since I was in a university-owned accomodation that was really cheap, and I don't know how regular ones compares.

Also if you have any tips on where to look for inexpensive accomodation for her it would be great.

Thanks a lot in advance for your enlightened advice.

is she coming over with friends, or alone?

first one will make things easier. a lot easier.

Unfortunately she's coming alone...

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine got an internship in Singapore this summer as a research assistant, but she couldn't get a scholarship, and she is wondering if she can afford to live there. She can spend about 1400 SGD a month, is that going to be enough to cover for her accomodation, food, transportation etc ?

I can't really figure out the cost of life since I was in a university-owned accomodation that was really cheap, and I don't know how regular ones compares.

Also if you have any tips on where to look for inexpensive accomodation for her it would be great.

Thanks a lot in advance for your enlightened advice.

How long she will be here? I believe she should be able to rent a single room if she want. The internship dont include of lodging?? :S Rental for a single room shd be around 400 to 600, depend on location and "conditions" of the room.

As for food and transportation, these have to depend on her lifestyle liao.....

$1400 is sufficient for just day to day living expenses but not shopping (which most women love). ;)

Thanks a lot for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I know about the shopping hehe, but not my problem :cool:

If you break it down a little, my best guestimate:

3 meals a day = $15
Transport per day = $10
That's roughly $700 a month already, so you have about $700 to rent a room.

I would say $1,400 would bearly cover, but can still make do.

../azul123

Should be "cost of LIVING in Singapore" .... thought someone died when I read the thread :eek:

Come on guys, we are talking about an intern aka a student....$1400 is more than enought lah.....it will be a little tought for the first few months....once settle down, she could get a roomate to share the room rent.....as for food, I am a guy and I am on $400 bill per month, so there are spare cash to save for raining day...if she is in the right industry, things can only get better with pay rise and bonus etc....if not most to most do partime model shoot in CS to earn extra loh :D

I thought the high cost of living here cost someone their life...
1.4k should be sufficient but no extras, only enough to live day to day and sometimes a treat or two at a nice cafe and perhaps a few shoping trips. I managed with a lot less while I was a student, then moreso when
I was overseas had to work really hard while studying. I was hungry all the time, but when I eat I really eat.. thinking back now... i just want to :cry:
She's lucky already.

i'm having a different view...

tell her not to come.

she's young...she's gonna want to go out, go shopping, maybe travel a bit.

some of you are talking about foreign workers making it...you think they living happily on those low wages? unless she finds someone to share costs i would say no. plus, she might not even like it here. there is basically nothing much to do in singapore besides shop or watch a movie...go to a mall...spend money and if she does not have the means for recreation to ease her mind, there's a good chance she will not like it here or the experience. everyone knows a budget on paper is different than a budget in real life and again unless something changes if i were really a friend to this girl i would tell her straight and tell her things will be very tight to a point where she might appreciate the experience more elsewhere.

i'm having a different view...

tell her not to come.

she's young...she's gonna want to go out, go shopping, maybe travel a bit.

some of you are talking about foreign workers making it...you think they living happily on those low wages? unless she finds someone to share costs i would say no. plus, she might not even like it here. there is basically nothing much to do in singapore besides shop or watch a movie...go to a mall...spend money and if she does not have the means for recreation to ease her mind, there's a good chance she will not like it here or the experience. everyone knows a budget on paper is different than a budget in real life and again unless something changes if i were really a friend to this girl i would tell her straight and tell her things will be very tight to a point where she might appreciate the experience more elsewhere.

go back hawaii... bye!

go back hawaii... bye!

why should he be told that? he did raise a good point in what he said and ts did ask for a genuine opinion if his friend should come. It wouldn't be fair to her if she came without knowing what to expect and becoming miserable for it now would it? All he's done is lay it out so she can make an informed decision.

She'll need a part time job probably to have some leeway in budget and emergencies...

If she's coming from Hawaii, the cost of living there is quite high as well, but I assume she lives with parents there?

Rent would be the biggest chunk of expense, if she can find a decent place farther out from the city and rent for 500 or less, then that'd make 1400 more manageable. good luck :)

She'll need a part time job probably to have some leeway in budget and emergencies...

If she's coming from Hawaii, the cost of living there is quite high as well, but I assume she lives with parents there?

Rent would be the biggest chunk of expense, if she can find a decent place farther out from the city and rent for 500 or less, then that'd make 1400 more manageable. good luck :)

errr where did you get the impression she's from hawaii?:dunno:

The ignorance of some. :thumbsd:

If this is the impression the new friend is to get of singapore then you have not defended your country very well, and maybe she should just go elsewhere!

well, you can go as well, no one's stopping...

ppl wanna know whats the cost of living to come to sg, not to come see you foreign jokers come and tell people to go...

bye wildhorsey...

well, you can go as well, no one's stopping...

ppl wanna know whats the cost of living to come to sg, not to come see you foreign jokers come and tell people to go...

bye wildhorsey...

Haha, ok, whatever helps you sleep at night :)

We 'foreign jokers' happen to know the cost of coming here from abroad far more then someone who has just stayed here.

Think the thread starter meant his friend has budgeted S$1400 for fixed monthly expenses (ie. for accomodation, food and transport) - not that this is the salary/allowance (is that correct ?)

S$1400 per month is certainly enough as an expense budget to cover for accomodation, food and transport (certainly won't be enough to cover to pay for your own condo in orchard area), but the cost to cover a room in shared accomodation, daily meals and daily public transport is enough.

Accomodation will be the biggest expense, but your friend can find rooms ranging in price from $400-$700 (or more of course, depending on location, type of place etc), although prices have risen a lot over the past 9 months (but you can still find master bedrooms going for about $400 in certain places). Since you have lived here before you'll be able to tell your friend about the costs of food/public transport - which are fairly cheap.

As a summer internship, it'd be a good experience.

Fairly easy to find rooms online, can do a search for rooms in singapore, but can try some of these links
http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/singapore/rma/
http://singapore.asiaxpat.com/property/shareflats/1/date/
http://sg.easyroommate.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.