Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

Status
Not open for further replies.
French like to eat cheese and bread :lovegrin: Can go NTUC cheap cheap sure can tahan for 1 month :thumbsup:

tats a very bad assumption... :sweat:

its like saying french eat french fries, ppl of hamburg only eat hamburger... or worse... sg ppl only eat char kway tiao...

cost of living is indeed going up, especially with the warning that inflation will go up next year. but i thought $1,400 is alot of money(!). i mean, rent a decent hdb room [instead of a whole apartment or in condo] w/o aircon cost just $300 - $400; and if room-mate, can split cost too. and if wanna rent a room, might as well rent near the workplace/university etc, so that save on transport. a cool $1,000 for daily expenses and the occasion shopping spee at the hdb heartlands etc. food in hawker centres can be [usually] tastier than some restuarants; and definitely tastier than fast foods ... salary of a poly grad nowadays is around $1,400 to $1,700 can still survive depending on how money is to be spent. and not necessarily needs to be stingy to have a decent life in singapore (!)

compared to the cost of living in korea and japan, singapore is already [relatively] low ...

that's an unfair stereotype. :nono:

No leh, I notice it in my line of work. Always run out of bread roll whenever I have them, among all the other Nation they ate the most cheese too:bsmilie:
French Fries is not from France lah :bsmilie:

French fried potatoes were likely invented during the 18th century in the area that later became Belgium. The name "French" was applied to them in (American) British at the beginning of the 19th century.

Culinary origin of the term

The straightforward explanation of the term is that it means potatoes fried in the French sense of the verb: "to fry" can mean either sautéing or deep-fat frying, while its French origin, frire, unambiguously means deep-frying : frites being its past participle used with a plural feminine substantive, as in pommes de terre frites ("deep-fried potatoes").[1][2] Thomas Jefferson, famous for serving French dishes, wrote exactly the latter French expression.[1][3] In the early 20th century, the term "French fried" was being used for foods such as onion rings or chicken, apart from potatoes.[4][5]
The verb "to french", though not attested until after "French fried potatoes" had appeared[citation needed], can refer to "julienning" of vegetables as is acknowledged by some dictionaries[6] while others only refer to trimming the meat off the shanks of chops.[7]

No leh, I notice it in my line of work. Always run out of bread roll whenever I have them, among all the other Nation they ate the most cheese too:bsmilie:
French Fries is not from France lah :bsmilie:

French fried potatoes were likely invented during the 18th century in the area that later became Belgium. The name "French" was applied to them in (American) British at the beginning of the 19th century.

Culinary origin of the term

The straightforward explanation of the term is that it means potatoes fried in the French sense of the verb: "to fry" can mean either sautéing or deep-fat frying, while its French origin, frire, unambiguously means deep-frying : frites being its past participle used with a plural feminine substantive, as in pommes de terre frites ("deep-fried potatoes").[1][2] Thomas Jefferson, famous for serving French dishes, wrote exactly the latter French expression.[1][3] In the early 20th century, the term "French fried" was being used for foods such as onion rings or chicken, apart from potatoes.[4][5]
The verb "to french", though not attested until after "French fried potatoes" had appeared[citation needed], can refer to "julienning" of vegetables as is acknowledged by some dictionaries[6] while others only refer to trimming the meat off the shanks of chops.[7]

notice or not during your work its still an unfair stereotype. just like saying asians are good at math or african americans eat nothing but fried chicken or that jews love money. What you're doing is called profiling.

Ok la, just suggesting only. Many people eat bread only when the have overspend, the rest just go and eat grass :bsmilie: Sorry for my profiling again.

French like to eat cheese and bread :lovegrin: Can go NTUC cheap cheap sure can tahan for 1 month :thumbsup:

not sure about the french,

but we have this polish guy here who has an obsession with polish bread, cheese and A LOT OF KETCHUP. it is immensely scary how anyone can eat so much ketchup with so little bread and so little cheese :bsmilie:

come to think of it, each race does have a certain type of eating habit.. i find myself preferring rice to fries.. but of course it all depends on the sort of background and family you grow up in.. old habits die hard

not sure about the french,

but we have this polish guy here who has an obsession with polish bread, cheese and A LOT OF KETCHUP. it is immensely scary how anyone can eat so much ketchup with so little bread and so little cheese :bsmilie:

come to think of it, each race does have a certain type of eating habit.. i find myself preferring rice to fries.. but of course it all depends on the sort of background and family you grow up in.. old habits die hard

i prefer noodles to rice, and fries to rice... lol...

rice is the last thing i wanna touch in sg... dunno y...

other country's rice just taste better... like in Thailand, Korea & Japan.

Well if we ate half as much cheese as you eat rice in Asia, we would need more than one cow per inhabitant :bsmilie:

Nah seriously, we adapt just fine to Asian food (I lived in Singapore, then Vietnam and India), it's not a problem. (I did miss the beef in Singapore and India though :), Vietnam has plenty of (good) beef). At any rate, it's no big deal, you can find anything in Singapore (though western food is more expensive)

i prefer noodles to rice, and fries to rice... lol...

rice is the last thing i wanna touch in sg... dunno y...

other country's rice just taste better... like in Thailand, Korea & Japan.

no no no

come here and try rice in my hall's dining room

i guess the best word for it is.. chewy :)

more like.. in the region between cooked and undercooked :D

Didn't you teach them Englishmen the "one finger digit" water level thing? :bsmilie:

Didn't you teach them Englishmen the "one finger digit" water level thing? :bsmilie:

they no use ricecooker

i think they use pots and pans to make rice

my friend walked into the kitchen one day to find her flatmate doing that

they no use ricecooker

Ah... stupid ang mohs... ;p

Last time we go camping also use pots and gas stove to cook rice, it turns out well ;) We even do Claypot rice With aluminum pots !!! Got to keep stirring once a while or else the bottom will get burn then siao liao...:sweat:

$1400 is more than enuff.

this is my breakdown :

Lodging $500 per mth (can get quite a decent room at this price)
Transport $5 x 31days = $155 (no taxi, juz MRT & Bus..incl. weekend outings)
Food $15 x 31 days = $465 (can be even lesser if eat bread for breakfast occasionally)

She will still hv spare cash of $280 for shopping :)

if my office accts clerk (foreigner) can survive with a $1200 per mth salary, i dun see
why she can't live with $1400 a mth.

Must add bills like handphone, IDD call, PUB.....Entertainment wise easy lah, find a few guys to go out with then wines and dine covered liao, shopping a bit difficult..... but not impossible.

they no use ricecooker

Ah... stupid ang mohs... ;p

Contrary to what you both think you don't NEED a ricecooker to be able to properly cook rice. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.